Official Game Thread: Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
We didn't went turtle, but we went to execute the "Bread and Butter" plays to get first downs, killed the clock and rest the D. To some degree we managed to successfully achieved that.
Especially in the 4th quarter. I didn’t realize it until I looked at the stats. They hardly had the ball and it’s hard for them to score when they don’t have it.
C9396FE1-36EB-4211-B071-360440A04DE7.png

Nov 6, 2010
I look at it a different way, but first let me preface the comment by saying I thought the offense overall did a pretty nice job for much of the game, with a few more wrinkles in the playcalling than what we've seen, and it resulted in a win which is what I care about. That being said, we've been challenged 4 times now by some pretty decent competition, and what we've done has certainly gotten us by; however, the heat is about to be turned up with the quality of that competition through much of the rest of the season, and going into a shell at any point in those games won't serve us well.
Man I don't know. The conference looks weak all the way around this year. With TCU losing to SMU, Baylor beating Iowa State, and ou needing a last second field goal to score 16. I think KState is a solid team, we just caught them without Skylar Thompson. If we keep getting guys back throughout the year, I don't see any game where we are truly outclassed. Maybe we got the injuries out of the way early this year, and it will pay off down the stretch. I really think we need to figure out a way to get Etienne playing at RT though.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
You thinking that "all of you that have told Gundy how to fix the offense were finally heard" is so cute. Like he's reading your post for coaching advice...:rolleyes:

A couple things...
We had several key players back that opened up our ability to run the offense.
HCMG always holds the playbook back in non-conference when he feels like he can and still win.
This is just par for the course and how we typically do things.

A ton of us have been telling you we are fine and this is normal since game one, you just refused to believe and furthermore even think your advice is being heard and taken into account by the coaching staff...delusion is the desert right next to denial....
Your fb knowledge is about the same level as gumby's knowledge level. Your humor interpreter is worse.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
To the persons who gave above post a zzzz reaction, you're a star. Take a bow, good sir(s). May y'all frolic throughout the livelong day. You're a champ in my book regardless of what people say to me about y'all.

I'll be sure to tag y'all after KSU curb stomps the hell out of OSU. Having said that, I sincerely hope I'll be able to eat a huge plate of crow after the game.
Nom nom
You mean "caw-caw"

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
How’s this aging?

And the crow? Gonna eat it in front of us all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki
Someone needs to start chowing down on a large plate of crow.
Not only did we win, we beat the spread and beat the over-under, And the offense looked better doing it. It's almost like we might actually continue getting better and peak at the right time to continue beating the teams ahead of us.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
No. The reference was toward our whiney, entitled "fans". But somehow you continue to ignore that.
Oh, Robert... It's noble how you rush to the defense of your significant other and also HCMG, but you need to collect yourself. I loathe Gundy's approach to managing games, and I disagree with the notion that we should try get away from uo (and good opponents in general). I'm not sure why that ruffles your feathers so much.

For the record - I thought we played a good game last night with the exception of Gundy's prevent offense starting just before the half. That game management style is why we can't win our conference, beat uo, or compete with legit teams often. It's a defeatist, weak, uninspiring, boring way to play the game.

Defense was great last night.
Offense could have been great, but #gundyball took over way too early, and put a wet blanket over it.
Special teams was not good. I think Hale needs to be replaced due to his injury, which is unfortunate, because he looked really solid pre-injury.
As someone who sides with you a decent amount, I don’t think Gundy turtled. Quick 3&outs like the end of the 3rd quarter (going from memory) don’t happen if you’re turtling. I think we just kind of stalled a couple of times, let penalties kill us the other time.

One of my favorite things last night was how many first downs we picked up on the ground in our ice the game drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
As someone who sides with you a decent amount, I don’t think Gundy turtled. Quick 3&outs like the end of the 3rd quarter (going from memory) don’t happen if you’re turtling. I think we just kind of stalled a couple of times, let penalties kill us the other time.

One of my favorite things last night was how many first downs we picked up on the ground in our ice the game drives.

It was definitely less than in the past in that regard, I agree with that. But it's more the mentality of taking your foot off the gas, in general, that is pathetic . You only do that if you're comfortable. Getting comfortable is a recipe for getting beat, and I don't like to see coaches take that approach. It's lazy, boring, safe, lame football, and it gets the players out of rhythm. It leaves the door open, and creates completely unnecessary opportunities for opponents. If you want the best chance to win, you stay sharp and aggressive, which sustains drives, and ultimately achieves two things; you maintain possession longer and likely score more points. Both give us better chances to win.

I just think the moment you stop playing aggressive, you're sending an instant message to the fans, players, and opposing coaches that you're just trying to weather a storm, and its not a mindset that leads to transcendent play. All it does is win you 9 games, a 2nd or 3rd place finish in a weak conference, and a rando-bowl that nobody cares about. Unfortunately, that's a really high accomplishment for many of our fans who are ok with "good enough".

Football is entertainment, and "good enough" or "aww shucks" football isn't very entertaining.

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
So...you can't wait to be in a weaker conference, and think conference wins will carry more weight in such an arrangement? If so, that explains everything.
You know that isn’t what I meant, which is worse than if you actually thought that.

But for the benefit of anyone who made the mistake of actually taking your ventilated condom of a post seriously, I’ll point out that way too many of our fans run our successes through the OU filter. An 11 point win over Kansas State (3-0 KSU, at that) can’t stand on its own merits and be appreciated. It has to be either compared to a) what OU did the same week, or b) how the performance would have faired if the our opponent had been OU. It’s pointless and poisonous.

Personally, if I had a magic wand, I would have kept the conference intact as we knew it from its inception. I liked that conference, and the competition level would be great today. But given the world we live in, if OU and Texas are going to leave, at least we’ll have a chance to forge our own identity instead of only defining success based on what those jokers in Norman are up to.

Some of you have your whole identity wrapped up in Bedlam, and it’s not healthy. It’s a rivalry, I get it. But it doesn’t benefit anyone if, I dunno, we punk out a fellow conference undefeated by two scores and the first thing people want to talk about is OU.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I can’t wait until we’re not in the same conference as OU, so that we can start to cultivate a generation of fans who can appreciate a solid win in conference without immediately wringing their hands about the style points of it and how it will translate to the OU game.
So...you can't wait to be in a weaker conference, and think conference wins will carry more weight in such an arrangement? If so, that explains everything.
Man, you really don't like much do you. I rarely am around such pessimistic people, but you really take the cake compared to the ones I know.

Oct 30, 2007
You know that isn’t what I meant, which is worse than if you actually thought that.

But for the benefit of anyone who made the mistake of actually taking your ventilated condom of a post seriously, I’ll point out that way too many of our fans run our successes through the OU filter. An 11 point win over Kansas State (3-0 KSU, at that) can’t stand on its own merits and be appreciated. It has to be either compared to a) what OU did the same week, or b) how the performance would have faired if the our opponent had been OU. It’s pointless and poisonous.

Personally, if I had a magic wand, I would have kept the conference intact as we knew it from its inception. I liked that conference, and the competition level would be great today. But given the world we live in, if OU and Texas are going to leave, at least we’ll have a chance to forge our own identity instead of only defining success based on what those jokers in Norman are up to.

Some of you have your whole identity wrapped up in Bedlam, and it’s not healthy. It’s a rivalry, I get it. But it doesn’t benefit anyone if, I dunno, we punk out a fellow conference undefeated by two scores and the first thing people want to talk about is OU.
In the big12, championships go through Norman. Like it or not, that is a fact. Aspiring champions want to play them and beat them. Thus, your original post speaks for itself.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yeah, that's EXACTLY what he said, and it wasn't directed and anyone like....well, you.
So you think that eliminating stronger opponents from our schedule is actually a good thing, somehow?
The only one you can call stronger is OU. And actually most years they're not that much stronger, they're actually human, and have losses they shouldn't and wins they shouldn't and we compete pretty good with them. It's only once in a while that we really have blowout losses to them.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Your fb knowledge is about the same level as gumby's knowledge level. Your humor interpreter is worse.
Do you mean the poster gumby or the coach Mike Gundy? Sorry I don't get it...maybe you are right on my humor interpreter. As far as football, I'm right more often than wrong about Oklahoma State football.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It was definitely less than in the past in that regard, I agree with that. But it's more the mentality of taking your foot off the gas, in general, that is pathetic . You only do that if you're comfortable. Getting comfortable is a recipe for getting beat, and I don't like to see coaches take that approach. It's lazy, boring, safe, lame football, and it gets the players out of rhythm. It leaves the door open, and creates completely unnecessary opportunities for opponents. If you want the best chance to win, you stay sharp and aggressive, which sustains drives, and ultimately achieves two things; you maintain possession longer and likely score more points. Both give us better chances to win.

I just think the moment you stop playing aggressive, you're sending an instant message to the fans, players, and opposing coaches that you're just trying to weather a storm, and its not a mindset that leads to transcendent play. All it does is win you 9 games, a 2nd or 3rd place finish in a weak conference, and a rando-bowl that nobody cares about. Unfortunately, that's a really high accomplishment for many of our fans who are ok with "good enough".

Football is entertainment, and "good enough" or "aww shucks" football isn't very entertaining.
It's not about OU. It's about competing with legit teams, in general. OU is the most legit team we face regularly, and the conference championship goes through them.

It's sad that you're (a) ok losing to them and (b) would rather play in a conference without elite competition. That's such a weak, pathetic mindset.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Man, you really don't like much do you. I rarely am around such pessimistic people, but you really take the cake compared to the ones I know.
Not sure why that post triggered such a reaction. My opinion is that our conference is about to become weaker, which means our wins will be less significant. And people who would rather play in a weaker conference really confuse me.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Not sure why that post triggered such a reaction. My opinion is that our conference is about to become weaker, which means our wins will be less significant. And people who would rather play in a weaker conference really confuse me.
It is not about a weaker conference, it is about comparing everything OSU do through the lens of OU. When they leave I hope, and I think many other a do also, that that mindset (little brother) leaves to.