Official Game Thread: Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Didn’t watch the second half but several people mentioned the offense went into a shell. That is no surprise. That is what Gundy does when he has a lead. I maintain that is one reason we are so bad against OU. If we try and deviate from the Gundy shell strategy in a big game our players are being asked to do something different than what they have done all season. Now Gundy wins the majority of the games he goes into the shell, but it won’t work against OU and if he tries to be aggressive the team is in unfamiliar territory and struggle to execute under the pressure.
I can’t wait until we’re not in the same conference as OU, so that we can start to cultivate a generation of fans who can appreciate a solid win in conference without immediately wringing their hands about the style points of it and how it will translate to the OU game.
you are right we should never aspire to compete with top teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Great win, imagine if our defense had Trace Ford rushing the passer, Brock is a solid backup (hope we get him back soon) but having Ford and Martin switch in and out wreaks havoc on an O-Line. Now we need Oliver and some young guys to really step up in that role (I didn’t see much of Farrar this game but he seems to have a real nose for the football similar to Oliver).
We must continue to give Gundy credit for hiring Jim Knowles, that was a gem of a find.
The offense seems to be coming around, we are definitely leaning hard on Tay Martin and Warrens explosiveness, we need some young guys to get comfortable and step up for big games when those two might have an off game.
Special teams quickly went from a great unit to a train wreck, we need to get that fixed ASAP.
Everyone knew we were going to go conservative on offense after we went up big and something definitely changed and then we had penalties and drops when we actually tried to go aggressive again in the second half which made it look worse than it was, get those fixed and we cruise.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't think the Gundy went turtle really is fair in this one. We just didn't execute and killed a couple of drives with penalties in the 2nd half.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I thought Presley, Owens, and Blaine Green all played great last night. Presley was dangerous in the return game and after the catch. Owens had a tremendous catch on a ball behind him. Blaine looked very smooth and comfortable for his first game. Martin was a beast as expected, and will benefit from having those 3 making plays. Hopefully we get Jaden Bray and Bryson Green back soon and we will have a very dangerous receiving corps.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I don't think the Gundy went turtle really is fair in this one. We just didn't execute and killed a couple of drives with penalties in the 2nd half.
We didn't went turtle, but we went to execute the "Bread and Butter" plays to get first downs, killed the clock and rest the D. To some degree we managed to successfully achieved that.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
No. The reference was toward our whiney, entitled "fans". But somehow you continue to ignore that.
Oh, Robert... It's noble how you rush to the defense of your significant other and also HCMG, but you need to collect yourself. I loathe Gundy's approach to managing games, and I disagree with the notion that we should try get away from uo (and good opponents in general). I'm not sure why that ruffles your feathers so much.

For the record - I thought we played a good game last night with the exception of Gundy's prevent offense starting just before the half. That game management style is why we can't win our conference, beat uo, or compete with legit teams often. It's a defeatist, weak, uninspiring, boring way to play the game.

Defense was great last night.
Offense could have been great, but #gundyball took over way too early, and put a wet blanket over it.
Special teams was not good. I think Hale needs to be replaced due to his injury, which is unfortunate, because he looked really solid pre-injury.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This is where we need to give credit where it is due. All of us that have told Gundy how to fix the offense were finally heard. I'm giving it up to all of us that have called for going over the middle, not running into the middle of the d-line, and utilizing the cowboy back. Gundy knew we are valid founts of football knowledge.
You thinking that "all of you that have told Gundy how to fix the offense were finally heard" is so cute. Like he's reading your post for coaching advice...:rolleyes:

A couple things...
We had several key players back that opened up our ability to run the offense.
HCMG always holds the playbook back in non-conference when he feels like he can and still win.
This is just par for the course and how we typically do things.

A ton of us have been telling you we are fine and this is normal since game one, you just refused to believe and furthermore even think your advice is being heard and taken into account by the coaching staff...delusion is the desert right next to denial....

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I can’t wait until we’re not in the same conference as OU, so that we can start to cultivate a generation of fans who can appreciate a solid win in conference without immediately wringing their hands about the style points of it and how it will translate to the OU game.
I look at it a different way, but first let me preface the comment by saying I thought the offense overall did a pretty nice job for much of the game, with a few more wrinkles in the playcalling than what we've seen, and it resulted in a win which is what I care about. That being said, we've been challenged 4 times now by some pretty decent competition, and what we've done has certainly gotten us by; however, the heat is about to be turned up with the quality of that competition through much of the rest of the season, and going into a shell at any point in those games won't serve us well.

Dec 9, 2013
I just didn’t see the conservativeness. End of half up 3 TDS w 1:30 and they have 2 to’s. You just escaped sure points w the int deep in your territory. You are down to your 4th RB who really doesn’t have that much game experience. Plus you get the ball to start the 2nd half and they haven’t stopped you. Conservative and smart is run the ball 3 times go to the half up 3 TDs when their O hasn’t scored a TD. Run on 1st down and they don’t call TO. We throw incomplete on 2nd stopping the clock. We gave up 3 there when it should have been 0.

2nd half it was the penalties. We still threw over the middle. Still ran some screens. Sanders missed a wide open Green on the seem route that if on the $ is probably housed for 6.

Up by 11 and we try a 49 yd FG w a struggling kicker? They haven’t done Jack on the D outside of the 1st drive. Their TD was a fluke. Take the delay of game and pin then inside the 15.

We also had possessions up by 2 scores where we were snapping the ball w +20 on the play clock. One series in the 4th we gave them over a minute on the game clock bc we were still throwing and snapping early.

IMO the way we managed this game offensively and putting Martin back on the punt, was the opposite of conservative.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I just didn’t see the conservativeness. End of half up 3 TDS w 1:30 and they have 2 to’s. You just escaped sure points w the int deep in your territory. You are down to your 4th RB who really doesn’t have that much game experience. Plus you get the ball to start the 2nd half and they haven’t stopped you. Conservative and smart is run the ball 3 times go to the half up 3 TDs when their O hasn’t scored a TD. Run on 1st down and they don’t call TO. We throw incomplete on 2nd stopping the clock. We gave up 3 there when it should have been 0.

2nd half it was the penalties. We still threw over the middle. Still ran some screens. Sanders missed a wide open Green on the seem route that if on the $ is probably housed for 6.

Up by 11 and we try a 49 yd FG w a struggling kicker? They haven’t done Jack on the D outside of the 1st drive. Their TD was a fluke. Take the delay of game and pin then inside the 15.

We also had possessions up by 2 scores where we were snapping the ball w +20 on the play clock. One series in the 4th we gave them over a minute on the game clock bc we were still throwing and snapping early.

IMO the way we managed this game offensively and putting Martin back on the punt, was the opposite of conservative.
I agree. In the second half, the offense just made too many mistakes to maintain a drive. The OL didn't block very well (Springfield got whipped on outside zone at least three times) so the run game was harder to come by.

Three drives were ruined by major penalties (including the BS unsportsmanlike).
I didn't like the sequence before halftime which Gundy actually admitted was on him and then the fade on third and medium is still baffling, but otherwise Dunn and/or Gundy called a great game.

The opportunities were still there in the second half, and it's plays the guys have made, they just didn't.

I'm far from one to always be defending the offensive staff, but in this case, they got the job done.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
We didn't went turtle, but we went to execute the "Bread and Butter" plays to get first downs, killed the clock and rest the D. To some degree we managed to successfully achieved that.
Especially in the 4th quarter. I didn’t realize it until I looked at the stats. They hardly had the ball and it’s hard for them to score when they don’t have it.
C9396FE1-36EB-4211-B071-360440A04DE7.png

Nov 6, 2010
I look at it a different way, but first let me preface the comment by saying I thought the offense overall did a pretty nice job for much of the game, with a few more wrinkles in the playcalling than what we've seen, and it resulted in a win which is what I care about. That being said, we've been challenged 4 times now by some pretty decent competition, and what we've done has certainly gotten us by; however, the heat is about to be turned up with the quality of that competition through much of the rest of the season, and going into a shell at any point in those games won't serve us well.
Man I don't know. The conference looks weak all the way around this year. With TCU losing to SMU, Baylor beating Iowa State, and ou needing a last second field goal to score 16. I think KState is a solid team, we just caught them without Skylar Thompson. If we keep getting guys back throughout the year, I don't see any game where we are truly outclassed. Maybe we got the injuries out of the way early this year, and it will pay off down the stretch. I really think we need to figure out a way to get Etienne playing at RT though.