Official Game Thread: Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We went conservative on offense, which gave them this possession and a chance to score points. I really don't understand why we continually do that.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Terrible coaching on the last drive killing the 3 rd down pass and soft defense literally GAVE them 3.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
We went conservative on offense, which gave them this possession and a chance to score points. I really don't understand why we continually do that.
Most of the time I would agree with you but we really didn’t want to have a turnover there, we gave up 3, that’s ok IF we come out aggressive still after the half. Which is a big IF with Gundy

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Disagree. We get even one first down on the offensive serious before, and they don't get that score. Instead, we ran a really weird sequence of plays that achieved neither the clock burning or score we needed.

Seemed like we had no plan for that situation.
And compounded it by playing soft defense knowing they would be flinging it.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Most of the time I would agree with you but we really didn’t want to have a turnover there, we gave up 3, that’s ok IF we come out aggressive still after the half. Which is a big IF with Gundy
I'd agree, except we didn't even execute good clock-burning strategy. That throw to the sideline on 2nd down would have stopped the clock no matter what, which was a dumb call considering we ran a simple run play just before. KSU only had one TO at that point. Even had we gone ultra conservative and run three straight times, I think it runs the clock down or forces them to use their last remaining TO.

It just looked like we either had a conflict between Gundy, Dunn, or the players, or we just had no plan, and botched the strategy in that situation. You either run the clock out, or you try to score. Since we ran on 1st for minimal gain, the strategy should naturally be to burn clock. Then we threw to the sideline for what would have been a 6 yard gain, not even a first down with less than a minute left. Didn't make any sense.

Oh well, at least we're up big. We can likely afford to mismanage the clock like that in games like this, but won't have that margin of error against better teams.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Guarantee you Gundy called that TO because pass play was called. Sanders had dropped back and was setting up when It was called.
Exactly. We get the ball to start the 2nd half. No sense in risking a TO.

Unfortunately, our punter went below average on us, and the defense gave up a 20-Yd completion over the middle.

Sometimes the other team makes a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk