Official Game Thread: Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
It’s not complaining it’s concern that we have after watching SS lack of development. The stats today were nice until you throw in 2 pics resulting in 14 pts. for ISU. I’m sure everyone on this site wants the kid to be great and reach his potential.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It’s not complaining it’s concern that we have after watching SS lack of development. The stats today were nice until you throw in 2 pics resulting in 14 pts. for ISU. I’m sure everyone on this site wants the kid to be great and reach his potential.
The pick on the tip ball was a very good play by the defender...he shouldn't have thrown it in hindsight but they guy made a great play...the other one was his fault trying to force the out pattern. I need to find that throw on the run across his body...that was a very nice pass and catch. No, he is not as spot on accurate as SI, but he's a good college player and gives us the running dimension which should improve all our running game...

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
We won...it's all good...we all have opinions. No biggie...just don't like it when folks get critical right after a big win...and this was indeed a big win over a ranked team on a roll. Also, it was obvious we were better than them so I didn't overly mind the conservative play calling at the end of the game...it was going to take a very unlikely scenario for ISU to win...so it didn't cost us. We won't be that conservative against KSU on the road and even Texas this next week at home...can't overlook anyone at all. Our games are too close unless we are just clearly in another league. However our play calling today was mostly very good.
I mean with all due respect I get where you're coming from...but it's hard to tell someone how to be a fan. Some will be overly happy, some with be overly critical, and some will be somewhere in the middle. Some fans will only discuss the positive, while others discuss what we can improve on. It's what message boards are for. My advice....let fans be fans. If you don't like a particular post, brush it off and keep it moving. You're waisting your time tying to police every so called "critical" post.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I'm amazed. Sanders played one of the better defensive units we'll see this year with his first complete game in almost a year. He ended up with 71 yards rushing, 20/29 passing with 235 and threw to 8 guys and I come on here to see people complaining about him.

Stop finding things to complain about and enjoy the fact that we're in the drivers seat in the conference and playing good football.
You are probably correct

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I mean with all due respect I get where you're coming from...but it's hard to tell someone how to be a fan. Some will be overly happy, some with be overly critical, and some will be somewhere in the middle. Some fans will only discuss the positive, while others discuss what we can improve on. It's what message boards are for. My advice....let fans be fans. If you don't like a particular post, brush it off and keep it moving. You're waisting your time tying to police every so called "critical" post.
How about you be you and me be me...I'm doing exactly what I want to do, you do you. I'm not trying to "police" anything...I'm just being a fan. It's what I do and have been on game day ever since this board started. Certainly I'm a positive fan...that's the whole point of being one. Have a nice night.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I was also at the game and I have the complete opposite opinion that’s being shared about SS. Sanders continues to show an ability to put touch on short passes in a way you wouldn’t expect someone with so much velocity to have. I think the best example of that was an RB slip screen he through over heavy traffic I think in the 2nd quarter. It was an extremely minor play in the grand scheme of things, but it was one of those throws that was technically very challenging and he needed to float it the exact amount to make the play work.

I also like what I see from his decision making. My favorite play was the 3rd & 15 he scrambled for 14 for (after the review brought it back from being a first and we went for it and converted the 4th next play), that play showed how dedicated SS was to staying put and making a throw instead of running for it, eventually the crowd telling him to run is what got him to finally take off lol.

He’s finding the open guys. That play Tylan was wide open sticks out. I thought even some of his incompletions showed touch, the contested catch opportunity to Tylan in the end zone during the first couple possessions, the deep seam route ball to Stoner where Stoner pulled up on his route early which I think ended the second possession.

Yeah he had 2 picks, one of which was bad but you deal with when you have an improviser so talented (if you need to be reminded of the upside of improvising, see the botched snap when we had the back up Center in that SS scooped up, rolled out, and fired a throw for a first down). The other interception, the first one, was just damn good play by the other team, just gotta tip your hat.

Look, maybe the disconnect here is in how we all differently view the KU game, but I viewed it as the type of game where the level of competition was so low that I didn’t learn anything about Shane. So I’m comparing this offense to what I saw versus West Virginia, and by that criteria there is absolutely o doubt that the offense was way more dynamic with SS at the helm. Our very first drive was the 13 plays 55 yards! We’d only had one drive like that the entire WVU game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think the team showed some real buy in today, went down 7-0 even though we opened up with a banger of a drive. Then Breece broke that big run and we were looking being down 14 early right in the face. Yet, just minutes later it felt like we were the ones in control. Gotta admire both sides of the ball for the gutsiness.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
After T-Shirtgate I went all in on Gundy, even having been a traditional detractor. But mark my words, his conservative approach of protecting a lead WILL get us beat in a game we can ill afford to lose this year. This is why having a very good defense is a two-edged sword -- he will assume that the other team will be unable to score and will be happy continuing to punt to them late. Mark my words.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
After T-Shirtgate I went all in on Gundy, even having been a traditional detractor. But mark my words, his conservative approach of protecting a lead WILL get us beat in a game we can ill afford to lose this year. This is why having a very good defense is a two-edged sword -- he will assume that the other team will be unable to score and will be happy continuing to punt to them late. Mark my words.
Maybe so, but today we were up by 10...not 7 or 3. It's a different ball game up by 10 with the time left we had. I think we would have gone for it today if we were only up by one score. I'll agree with you if we do that only up by 7 or less.

Apr 7, 2006
I'm not sure i understand the wringing of hands over the last punt. It was a 10 pt game with 3 and a half minutes with 4th and 5 just inside the 40. Its a low probability kick that wouldn't help much and a difficult distance to convert unless you want to throw the ball. The defense is really playing well, so l'm guessing most coaches would do the exact same thing. There are numerous examples of Gundy playing not to lose (which irritates me), but I don't think this is a great example.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm not sure i understand the wringing of hands over the last punt. It was a 10 pt game with 3 and a half minutes with 4th and 5 just inside the 40. Its a low probability kick that wouldn't help much and a difficult distance to convert unless you want to throw the ball. The defense is really playing well, so l'm guessing most coaches would do the exact same thing. There are numerous examples of Gundy playing not to lose (which irritates me), but I don't think this is a great example.
There are also numerous examples of him playing to win...which we did.

Nov 14, 2010
Im as critical of Gundys conservative tendencies as anyone, but he made every right decision yesterday in terms of managing the game.

He played the odds and won.

The odds were, when we got up 10, the way things were going, that, unless we did something stupid, we win the game.

And, thats what happened.

We looked like a playoff caliber team yesterday that hasnt hit full stride.

We look like a team that is winning games against quality oponents, that is still trying to find how many cylinders it actually has.

For those that complain about Sanders mistakes, this is my 2 Cents

With a player like him, there has to be a certain amount of give and take that creates enough freedom for him to perform.

If you want all the explosive plays he can provide, you can't put him in a pin, and throttle him down too much in an attempt to get him to not make a mistake.

There's obviously a balance to the good and bad you can afford to have, but as long as Sanders is as good as he was yesterday, we are better off letting him make some mistakes to, in turn, get all the good he provides.

The dude is unreal talented and a nightmare for defenses to contend with.

He has auge arm, is extremely fast, very smart, has high energy, is a great leader, is ultra confident, and is a gun slinger.

If you try to just simply take too much of that out of him, in an attempt to limit his mistakes, then you stand to lose way too much of the good and it has the potential to be a net negative.

Thats how kids like him get broke, and some never come back.

Mar 11, 2006
I was also at the game and I have the complete opposite opinion that’s being shared about SS. Sanders continues to show an ability to put touch on short passes in a way you wouldn’t expect someone with so much velocity to have. I think the best example of that was an RB slip screen he through over heavy traffic I think in the 2nd quarter. It was an extremely minor play in the grand scheme of things, but it was one of those throws that was technically very challenging and he needed to float it the exact amount to make the play work.

I also like what I see from his decision making. My favorite play was the 3rd & 15 he scrambled for 14 for (after the review brought it back from being a first and we went for it and converted the 4th next play), that play showed how dedicated SS was to staying put and making a throw instead of running for it, eventually the crowd telling him to run is what got him to finally take off lol.

He’s finding the open guys. That play Tylan was wide open sticks out. I thought even some of his completions showed touch, the contested catch opportunity to Tylan in the end zone during the first couple possessions, the deep seam route ball to Stoner where Stoner pulled up on his route early which I think ended the second possession.

Yeah he had 2 picks, one of which was bad but you deal with when you have an improviser so talented (if you need to be reminded of the upside of improvising, see the botched snap when we had the back up Center in that SS scooped up, rolled out, and fired a throw for a first down). The other interception, the first one, was just damn good play by the other team, just gotta tip your hat.

Look, maybe the disconnect here is in how we all differently view the KU game, but I viewed it as the type of game where the level of competition was so low that I didn’t learn anything about Shane. So I’m comparing this offense to what I saw versus West Virginia, and by that criteria there is absolutely o doubt that the offense was way more dynamic with SS at the helm. Our very first drive was the 13 plays 55 yards! We’d only had one drive like that the entire WVU game.

I agree with everything you said except one. Stoner did not pull up early in his route. The DB grabbed him. It should have been defensive holding.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Did you watch the same football game I did? Have you seen how incredibly talented Sanders is?
I think Illingworth is going to be great, but Sanders is can do things with his feet that can’t be coached. He had one good TD run and had another called back on a phantom Wallace hold.
I was at the game and Sanders is still fundamentally unsound in his decision making. He doesn't have the same touch Illingworth has. We are headed for Bobby Reid 2.0.
Comparing SS to Bobby Reid undermines your credibility. That is a laughable comparison!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I find comfort in understanding the world instead of anguish while scratching my head.

Good for you....keep scratching that head, maybe you'll find some knowledge someday
Clearly you’re the one expressing anguish with Gundy’s coaching. Absent “PLAYER” mistakes, the final score would have been OSU 31-38, ISU 10-14.

That aside, what are you going to call Gundy if he wins each of the next nine games by 3 points?

Answer: National Champion.

Get perspective. You need it desperately.

Oct 30, 2007
I don't get the Sanders hate. He played a great game against the best (other than us) D's in the league, all while coming off injury and long lay off. He made one bad pass when he didn't see the safety. The other int was a fluke. I'm not sure what some of you were expecting. If he plays like this the rest of the way, we win the big 12 and I expect him to improve with more game reps.
He stares for seconds where he will throw the ball allowing the D to react. Shane has done this as well. It must be fixed or fire the qb coach as this is qb 101 stuff.

This caused one int. Look off or pump fake and we are good.

Again, this is 100% QB coach responsibility.

Oct 30, 2007
oh yeah...haha the reason I feel ok about calling their defense rickety is because this team seems very locked in and will not be looking at it the way I am. Texas is definitely good enough to beat OSU if the Pokes sleepwalk into that game.
They are good enough to beat us even if we don't sleepwalk into that game...We lost to them last year and SS made some freshmen mistakes going to have to play better than today I think...I also think we will win and play better than today (not that we played badly today).
Played fine have to up the coaching portion.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
OK, I will admit that I have only been a true OSU fan for about 12 years, as I became a fan when my first born started attending OSU. (we had previously lived in Texas) I first started to be enamored with OSU football when I saw Gundy going to the sideline and writing down script/notes for offense while defense was on field during his first year as HC (I think) Not sure why I shared that, but some of you fans are quite amazing in your complaints on this team, coach, players, etc.
1. Gundy is a really good coach, and I would/will hate to lose him. Do you/I always agree with the decisions he makes? NO Do you/I have any experience coaching college football at this level? NO Do you/I sometimes think this is easy and would make better moves than him? YES
2A. OSU coaching staff does more with less than almost any program in the country...see pic that I added (I can't find an updated one).
2B. I have many annoying uo friends, but one in particular is very annoying and always rubbing in my face how much better they are than us, more big 12 championships, more national championships, more CFB playoff appearances, etc. I would always tell him, I am a fan, I love my Cowboys, I realize we are not on the same level as uo most years simply because of the players both programs get. He would blow off my statements. GA beat uo couple years back and he said he wasn't overly upset cuz GA just had better dudes/players than uo had....I laughed, and said that is what I have been saying.
3. SS had a good game, 2 picks led to 14 ISU pts, but he played really good. It is nice to have SI in the wings if SS struggles or goes down again. Nice problem to have - 2 dudes that could/should start.
4. Our D is really, really good!
5.. You have every right to bitch, moan, complain, show off your football knowledge...but how about just enjoy this run and these Saturdays to take our mind off of this crazy world we live in, enjoy watching, cheering, and supporting our OSU Cowboys!
View attachment 86545
that's all....Go Pokes!
Gundy says either we are the best coaches or the best recruiters....