Officer and 9 others killed in Boulder CO

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The legislative branch doesn’t enforce law, they write it.
Well I meant the government as a whole but since you brought it up.

The legislature has had no problems in the past investigating the executive branch for a plethora of reasons. Finding out why existing gun laws aren't being enforced properly would seem as good a reason as any other they've used the past few decades.... especially if this issue is as important as the claim.

Also, the legislature has CERTAINLY had no problem criticizing the executive branch for a plethora of reasons. Again, why not do that here if this issue is so important?

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Who is going to enforce the law if we defund or dismantle local police?
That's going about as well as you would imagine so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'll eat a little crow on that one. I didn't forsee it going the way it did (I thought restructure would be a better term than defund) but whatever Minneapolis is a complete poop show. I think properly training officers and giving them the tools to deal with people who suffer from mental health issues is a step in the right direction but when you have carjackings up 300% from a year ago whatever you are trying to do isn't working.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Newsflash....people who go on shooting rampages don't follow the law. Writing more gun control laws won't help. Never has. Colorado already has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country as does Chicago. Another newsflash....their not getting my guns and their not gonna get yours either unless you give them up. I have no idea how this guy bought a gun with all of the trouble he had been in and I'm even more confused as to where he got the ammo.
I guess you are saying “newsflash” to indicate I didn’t know these things that are obvious to the rest of the world?

I never said people will obey the laws that are written, etc. I just shared a basic civics lesson that the legislative branch doesn’t enforce the law, as implied by a previous comment (which he later clarified/corrected). The executive branch does. Newsflash.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Well I meant the government as a whole but since you brought it up.

The legislature has had no problems in the past investigating the executive branch for a plethora of reasons. Finding out why existing gun laws aren't being enforced properly would seem as good a reason as any other they've used the past few decades.... especially if this issue is as important as the claim.

Also, the legislature has CERTAINLY had no problem criticizing the executive branch for a plethora of reasons. Again, why not do that here if this issue is so important?
I guess they could investigate some of the changes Trump made (like shifting export controls of semi-automatic pistols, assault-style firearms, certain sniper rifles, and their ammunition from the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of State to that of the U.S. Department of Commerce, who has less stringent protocols.). But the Biden administration is likely making such change and should be looking at opportunities to enforce existing laws. It sounds like that will make you happier. ;)

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I guess they could investigate some of the changes Trump made (like shifting export controls of semi-automatic pistols, assault-style firearms, certain sniper rifles, and their ammunition from the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of State to that of the U.S. Department of Commerce, who has less stringent protocols.). But the Biden administration is likely making such change and should be looking at opportunities to enforce existing laws. It sounds like that will make you happier. ;)
I'd be happier if we could keep politics out if it, guess that's too much to hope for. Ineffective enforcement of existing gun laws spans multiple presidents from both parties.

Republicans won't criticize it because they are afraid of looking too tough on gun control. Democrats won't criticize it because they are afraid of implying that more laws won't make a difference. And round and round we go.

Last edited:

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I'd be happier if we could keep politics out if it, guess that's too much to hope for. Ineffective enforcement of existing gun laws spans multiple presidents from both parties.

Republicans won't criticize it because they are afraid of looking too tough on gun control. Democrats won't criticize it because they are afraid of implying that more laws won't make a difference. And round and round we go.
I don’t disagree this is a political football. I do think it’s too much to ask for politics to stay out of the issue. These are the kind of issues politics is meant to deal with. When one person’s rights (2nd Amendment) intersect with others’ fundamental rights (life and safety), then we need governance of laws to ensure justice and democracy are preserved. What I think we would all appreciate is that these issue were managed in a mature and equitable way instead of the polarized grandstanding that usually occurs in order to extend political careers.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I would think most mass murders are some what disturbed and for the the most part also a hate crime. Murder is murder. One is not worse or better than the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Disagree.

Now media outlets have caught onto this decision, and are correlating the two things to give the impression that the AR15 ban would have stopped it. Alleged perpetrator was from Arvada, not Boulder.

Even assuming arguendo the alleged shooter was from Boulder, would it have REALLY stopped it with a person who reportedly has mental illness?
It wasn't the media perpetuating this story. This NRA tweet and then the shooting was already topic #1 surrounding this shooting on social media prior to them even knowing how many had died in the shooting. People had already linked them together via social media HEAVILY before the media even started digging into the story. The media just went with what the public narrative already was about this incident.

Don't get me wrong. I do not think the two are related in any way (the tweet and the shooting) I'm just pointing out where the outraged public had already gone to before the bodies were cool.
Well we all know how accurate Twitter is considering how many people had to backtrack and delete tweets because they immediately started blaming white supremacy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Well we all know how accurate Twitter is considering how many people had to backtrack and delete tweets because they immediately started blaming white supremacy.

How dare they soil its good name.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

How dare they soil its good name.
Wow you just love putting up them straw men and knocking them down. No, it's how dare they jump to conclusions without the truth. And we know where they are in regards to racism because they assume racism is everywhere. Sounds to me like they are the ones with the problem.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Wow you just love putting up them straw men and knocking them down. No, it's how dare they jump to conclusions without the truth. And we know where they are in regards to racism because they assume racism is everywhere. Sounds to me like they are the ones with the problem.

Not so much a straw man. More so pointing out this is a silly argument.

First, why care that anyone blamed white supremacy specifically? It’s vile and can take all the blame, including bad weather and the horrible season finale of a great series, Deadwood.

Second, this is an unfortunate side effect of any social media. Give people access to instantly publishing their thoughts, and guess what, they’ll jump to conclusions and have to retract statements. It’s also a symptom suffered by national media. They try to outscoop the competition and don’t have time to do that AND fact check. Scoops pay better than accuracy, so that’s what we get. Like it or not, it’s the age we live in.