O'Colly fires editor for anti-mask editorial

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
What Mr, Travis or the former editor did not say was the whole story. What she printed was so out of line that the entire editorial board published a letter opposing her and sharing the entire story.
She should have been fired.

Correction: Notes from the editors
The O'Colly Editorial Board Sep 11, 2021

The O’Colly editorial staff would like to address the column posted in our Friday paper.

We first would like to state the words in the column are that of an opinion, which is not shared by the whole editorial board.

Although in a column the author or editor may disclose thoughts and opinions on contemporary scenes, it is not something representing the thoughts and opinions of The O’Colly Media Group. As an editorial board, we would like to include some additional information excluded from the column.

Oklahoma State has placed guidelines for professors to decide whether or not to require masks during their in-person instruction. When University Health Services (UHS) reports a positive COVID-19 case in a professor's class, they are allowed to do one of three things.

Move the class online.

Move to hybrid in-person/online instruction, requiring masks for those coming to in-person instruction.

Require masks for their in-person classes.

This column does not state this professor has an immunocompromised system. In an effort to follow OSU’s guidelines after a positive case in their class, the professor required their students to wear a mask in person.

The full story is not disclosed in this piece, and professors are within their rights and within the law to ask students to wear a mask. Additionally, the way the law is explained in this piece is misleading. What is also not mentioned, is the law does not apply to people such as teachers, principals, individual school officials and professors.

Senate Bill 658 does not apply to this situation.

Nothing illegal was or is being done by asking students to wear a mask.

We welcome any and all opinions offering rebuttal of this column, and do not wish to diminish any opinion. As American citizens, we affirm our belief in the First Amendment and the right as journalists to express our personal opinions no matter if our view point is different from those around us.

Anna Pope — News Editor

Dean Ruhl — Sports Editor

Chris Becker — Assistant Sports Editor

Karisa Sheely — Design Editor

Abby Cage — Photo Editor

Ellen Slater — Lifestyle Editor

Ben Hutchens — Digital Editor

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
So what was the basis for her termination then?
She was not fired she was asked to resign and that appears to be after the editorial board present the true facts.
I wish they had been more public about what happened and changes made

Last edited:

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
The full story is not disclosed in this piece, and professors are within their rights and within the law to ask students to wear a mask. Additionally, the way the law is explained in this piece is misleading. What is also not mentioned, is the law does not apply to people such as teachers, principals, individual school officials and professors.

Senate Bill 658 does not apply to this situation.

Nothing illegal was or is being done by asking students to wear a mask.
This is very much disputed. The author of SB658 made it very clear that school boards couldn't delegate mask mandate power that is prohibited against them by the law. It appears that OSU has tried to delegate mask mandate power down to the classroom level. Whether or not this is legal can only be determined by the court system.

BTW, I don't care what the law says, refusing to wear a mask in a classroom with an immunocompromised professor makes you a bad person.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
She was not fired she was asked to resign and that appears to be after the editable board present the true facts.
I wish they had been more public about what happened and changes made
"Being asked to resign" is a nice way of saying fired. Aside from that part, I agree with the response by the rest of the team (that incudes my brilliant niece BTW).

Jul 22, 2014
As Jostate noted, "being asked to resign" = "fired". But why was she fired/asked to resign? Because she refused to wear a mask in class? or because she wrote an editorial opposed to forced masking in class?

As another poster noted, the interpretation of SB658 is disputed and will ultimately be decided by lawyers.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
As Jostate noted, "being asked to resign" = "fired". But why was she fired/asked to resign? Because she refused to wear a mask in class? or because she wrote an editorial opposed to forced masking in class?

As another poster noted, the interpretation of SB658 is disputed and will ultimately be decided by lawyers.
Why was she fired, I don’t know.
She did not write an editorial opposed wearing masks.
She, as the EOC, wrote a editorial that presented a situation inaccurately.

Nov 23, 2010
She tagged Candace Owens and Charlie Kirk in her tweet of the op ed. She's clearly aiming for a job in conservative grifter media after college. She'll put being fired for this on her resume.

Mar 11, 2006
She sounds like an ass. That said, isn’t this an op-Ed?? Asking for the resignation of the person for this article seems extremely odd and over-the-top. Having an opinion that people should not be required to wear a mask isn’t that unusual. And as the writer implies …probably many people share that view.

There must be more to this story than being upset about the op-Ed.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
She sounds like an ass. That said, isn’t this an op-Ed?? Asking for the resignation of the person for this article seems extremely odd and over-the-top. Having an opinion that people should not be required to wear a mask isn’t that unusual. And as the writer implies …probably many people share that view.

There must be more to this story than being upset about the op-Ed.
I think her opinion is crap but that is not the issue, she presented a situation that was not accurate, she lied. You can’t do that.

Mar 11, 2006
I think her opinion is crap but that is not the issue, she presented a situation that was not accurate, she lied. You can’t do that.
I understand your don’t agree with her opinion and I certainly strongly disagree with her approach and attitude.

But, what was the lie? Was she not asked to leave class? Did she not actually call the Gov office? Did she make up the situation?

Last edited:

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I understand your don’t agree with her opinion and I certainly strongly disagree with her approach and attitude.

But, what was the lie? Was she not asked to leave class? Did she not actually call the Gov office?
She omitted needed information that was latter published by every other editor for the O’Colly. Call it what you want but she lied. I posted a link to the rebuttal, it should be read for context.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
She omitted needed information that was latter published by every other editor for the O’Colly. Call it what you want but she lied. I posted a link to the rebuttal, it should be read for context.
Statement from the original op-ed:
I had done my research prior to the class. Senate Bill 658 informed me that a mask could not be required of me within a school setting in the state of Oklahoma. Knowing this, I decided to take a stand.

Statement from the rebuttal:
The full story is not disclosed in this piece, and professors are within their rights and within the law to ask students to wear a mask. Additionally, the way the law is explained in this piece is misleading. What is also not mentioned, is the law does not apply to people such as teachers, principals, individual school officials and professors. Senate Bill 658 does not apply to this situation. Nothing illegal was or is being done by asking students to wear a mask.

Neither of these statements is factual, because our court system hasn't defined whether or not mask mandates can be delegated down to lower levels. Both articles omitted pertinent information to drive a narrative. As much as I hate to say it, this is how journalism works in today's world.