NVIDIA is king again!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
3070 is equivalent to a 2080ti priced at only $500

3080 is 2x that of a 2080ti and priced at $700

3090 is priced at $1400 and might actually be worth the money. It destroys everything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Big Navi says hi!

In all seriousness, I think it will give nvidia a run for it's money. There is a reason why Sony and Xbox went Radeon for their console's graphics.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Big Navi says hi!

In all seriousness, I think it will give nvidia a run for it's money. There is a reason why Sony and Xbox went Radeon for their console's graphics.
I am holding out for Big Navi. Doing the math, it should be competitive in pure rasterization. RT is of limited importance. Im not stopping to look that the puddles in the games I play. Also AMD has better FOSS drivers which is a must for me.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Yup it blows everything else out. This is a once in a few series must buy. The last time every card of a new series was better than every card of the last series was in 2004. The partnership with Samsung has really paid off.
by all account Samsung availability will be low for quite a while though..

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I am holding out for Big Navi. Doing the math, it should be competitive in pure rasterization. RT is of limited importance. Im not stopping to look that the puddles in the games I play. Also AMD has better FOSS drivers which is a must for me.
I am doing the very same thing, for the very same reasons. Nvidia is almost hostile for Linux users, which we both are.

That and I am pretty sure Radeon will try to undercut Nvidia on prices, which will be nice. Nvidia made their move yesterday, its time for AMD & Radeon to counter them.

Also, I am looking forward to the Q4 release of the zen 3 chips. I have an x570 board, so it should just be a bios update and sticking the new chip in there.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
TSMC may run into similar issues since they have all of the new Playstations and Xboxes to make chips for.
pretty sure AMD has them locked in on the 7nm (7nm+) process since they bet the farm on that node. But will see. I'm hopeful that Big Navi is really good. I will go with that for win/VR gaming, and move my 5700 to my linux box - as my steam/streaming/proton system.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
pretty sure AMD has them locked in on the 7nm (7nm+) process since they bet the farm on that node. But will see. I'm hopeful that Big Navi is really good. I will go with that for win/VR gaming, and move my 5700 to my linux box - as my steam/streaming/proton system.
Nice! I am also hoping it is good and affordable. Honestly, as long as it is comparable to the 3080, I will be pretty happy and might switch to a 4k setup.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
and technically, i have no money for either Nvidia's new gfx cards, AMDs new gfx cards, or AMDs CPUs, but hopefully there will be some competition in pricing so a lower price gets me in the door sooner.
That is fair. I have the money, but would prefer to pay less. The timing of everything will be interesting. I am most interested in the 4800. Which should be a 10 core processor based on the rumors.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
@sc5mu93 Looks like we will have announcements for Zen 3 on 10/8 and the new Radeon cards on 10/28. https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-to-unveil-zen-3-ryzen-chips-on-oct-8-new-radeon-graphic-cards-on-oct
and technically, i have no money for either Nvidia's new gfx cards, AMDs new gfx cards, or AMDs CPUs, but hopefully there will be some competition in pricing so a lower price gets me in the door sooner.
Unless you are playing bleeding edge games, the best course of action is usually to wait until the new items hit the shelves, or right before, when they will be discounting the last generation. You can get some really good prices on high-end equipment that will still last you for years down the road.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Unless you are playing bleeding edge games, the best course of action is usually to wait until the new items hit the shelves, or right before, when they will be discounting the last generation. You can get some really good prices on high-end equipment that will still last you for years down the road.

That is true, however, depending on the pricepoints of the Radeon cards, we could see prices pretty close to the RX 5700xt, but with a lot more power. I feel like I will be able to get a decent deal on a Zen 3 chip and a Radeon card, it is the 4k monitor that I am balking at. Those are still really expensive with a 120 or 144hz refresh rate.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Already looking at a Nvidia/amd combo. Thinking of starting to buy pieces now like motherboard etc in anticipation for when I can get one of the new cards and chips. I have a sneaking suspicion that its gonna be virtual chaos in fighting to get a new card and chip from scalpers and bots. I just hope that they have a supply large enough for regular people to get one.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com

That is true, however, depending on the pricepoints of the Radeon cards, we could see prices pretty close to the RX 5700xt, but with a lot more power. I feel like I will be able to get a decent deal on a Zen 3 chip and a Radeon card, it is the 4k monitor that I am balking at. Those are still really expensive with a 120 or 144hz refresh rate.
There really is no reason to go 4k. Should really stick with 1440p as imo there is almost no discernable difference in quality, if you get a quality panel of course, and you can run at higher refresh rates which is again, imo, better.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Already looking at a Nvidia/amd combo. Thinking of starting to buy pieces now like motherboard etc in anticipation for when I can get one of the new cards and chips. I have a sneaking suspicion that its gonna be virtual chaos in fighting to get a new card and chip from scalpers and bots. I just hope that they have a supply large enough for regular people to get one.

yeah - i wouldnt mess with it for a while. Rumors are that samsung yields for NV 3XXX series will be low for the forseeable future. Throw in grumblings that miners are very interested because of performance jumps - availability and price is going to suck for a while.