No more Bedlam

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 18, 2009
Talk about nonsensical, it was like he didn’t even listen to Gundy’s comments. His rebuttal was just taking a shot and didn’t make any sense.
He’s like the people that were “bitching“ that Gundy had notes at the last presser. He had succinct bullet points and challenged anybody to call him out if he was incorrect. Nobody has done that at the local or national level. Everything he said was a dead on fact. Instead they’re spewing crap like Neuheisel or Finebaum that are unrelated to everything Gundy said. If anyone can provide a valid reason to continue playing them in any sport other than “just because“ I am willing to listen. But that has yet to happen from either Fanbase or any of the Talking Heads. We don’t owe them, or the other conference members, jack shit and “just because” isn’t valid business logic.

I hope it comes from the top down in the athletic department that Oklahoma State will not discuss ou or Texas anymore. If I was Weiberg I would already have done that.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
He’s like the people that were “bitching“ that Gundy had notes at the last presser. He had succinct bullet points and challenged anybody to call him out if he was incorrect. Nobody has done that at the local or national level. Everything he said was a dead on fact. Instead they’re spewing crap like Neuheisel or Finebaum that are unrelated to everything Gundy said. If anyone can provide a valid reason to continue playing them in any sport other than “just because“ I am willing to listen. But that has yet to happen from either Fanbase or any of the Talking Heads. We don’t owe them, or the other conference members, jack shit and “just because” isn’t valid business logic.

I hope it comes from the top down in the athletic department that Oklahoma State will not discuss ou or Texas anymore. If I was Weiberg I would already have done that.
In addition I'd like to see Big 12 AD's and coaches talking up the new Big 12 going forward. There are a lot of positives. Looking at football and basketball top to bottom it'll be a good competitive conference. OU an UT are dead issues to the conference.

It actually happens more than you might think with the SEC & ACC. Clemson plays South Carolina, Georgia plays Georgia Tech, and Florida plays Florida State.

I'm really torn on this issue. Part of me wants to leave them behind and never hear boomer sooner played again in BPS. Part of me knows how great it feels to beat them, and I don't want to lose that opportunity. The emotions tied to Bedlam are part of what makes sports special.

My hope is that OSU eventually finds their way into the SEC as well. I don't see the series continuing on a regular basis unless that happens.
SEC and ACC only play 8 conference games, so they have 4 open non-conference slots vs Big12 only having 3. So these "regional rivalry" games they play just fills their 4th slot.

I disagree. It is very apparent that our new administration is all about our football program competing at the highest level. Gundy has stated on multiple occasions that he's never been happier and made statements confirming their desire to keep Ok State football on par with the big boys moving forward. Think of it like this, would Gundy at his age and the success he's already accomplished at Oklahoma State really be hanging around if he knew Ok State was going to be middle of the pack moving forward?
I like the new administration, but let's be real. We cannot and should not spend the kind of money that bluebloods and the wannabes (looking at you A&M) are and will spend on football. We don't have the deep pocket boosters, the number of fans, etc. to do it. I think OU will find out that they do not have the deep pockets to compete, either. The amount of money that a university, especially one like OSU, will have to spend to win a title is obscene and unsustainable.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I like the new administration, but let's be real. We cannot and should not spend the kind of money that bluebloods and the wannabes (looking at you A&M) are and will spend on football. We don't have the deep pocket boosters, the number of fans, etc. to do it. I think OU will find out that they do not have the deep pockets to compete, either. The amount of money that a university, especially one like OSU, will have to spend to win a title is obscene and unsustainable.
THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Absolutely this!

110% agree. Especially in today's college football landscape. AND, I'm afraid, with NIL and transfer portal, and coaching salaries, it's going to get MUCH worse. There's a point of diminishing returns, and we are reaching it at breakneck speed.

Jan 13, 2005
I do think the 12 team playoff will help a ton with that though. Kids go to the "Big" schools because they know they will get to play for a national championship and get drafted. Look at college basketball. There is first round talent spread out at all levels of basketball because 68 teams get into the dance. There is less pressure on a kid to go to a "power" school. I think OSU is set up nicely to be a perinneal playoff team and be one of the first teams to really reap the benefits of the expanded playoffs.

Dec 19, 2012
I don't agree. All those resources help, but you can still win a title making $20 mil less and not paying players through NIL as much, or coaches as much. We should of won a title in 2011, and we would of had a shot last year. The Alabama's, Ohio State's, and Clemson's (all the recent title winners really) have gotten through with favoritism and not having to find out how good an Oklahoma State team in 2011 was. The new playoff system will level the playing field. We have made less than the SEC and BIG Ten for a while now, it doesn't mean OU (or Clemson may be a better example) hasn't had a shot (and the Cowboys in limited years). I do think talent will start to spread more too, because you have to get PT to get paid more as a player and get noticed by NFL scouts.

Oct 30, 2012
I'm in no way saying we need to spend the amounts of money that A&M/Bama/GA, etc. spend. What I'm saying is that our admin is all on the same page in their vision for the football program moving forward. Ok State has consistently been a top, say 15-20 program in the country. There's no reason why we can't be a top 10-12 program consistently with our new admin and changes with realignment. That gives us our fair shot to win a title.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I'm in no way saying we need to spend the amounts of money that A&M/Bama/GA, etc. spend. What I'm saying is that our admin is all on the same page in their vision for the football program moving forward. Ok State has consistently been a top, say 15-20 program in the country. There's no reason why we can't be a top 10-12 program consistently with our new admin and changes with realignment. That gives us our fair shot to win a title.
OSU, Oregon, Washington, Florida State, Miami, Utah, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Baylor :vomit:, are the remaining upper echelon of CFB programs who find themselves in a similar boat being shut out of the major conferences at least for the foreseeable future. The move will either be to band together or try to get picked up in one of the other conferences.

I fear that the initial strategy will be the latter, but the TV guys are getting to a point of saturation with those two conferences, and the current members won't want to divvy up the money any more. A better solution would be for the remaining power programs to figure out a way to mutually benefit from their combined value. For instance, implement some sort of scheduling arrangement that is based off of prior year's performance would be cool, similar to the way Champions League functions. Sell those specific games as a package to a network and that's instant increased value.

Jan 13, 2005
OSU, Oregon, Washington, Florida State, Miami, Utah, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Baylor :vomit:, are the remaining upper echelon of CFB programs who find themselves in a similar boat being shut out of the major conferences at least for the foreseeable future. The move will either be to band together or try to get picked up in one of the other conferences.

I fear that the initial strategy will be the latter, but the TV guys are getting to a point of saturation with those two conferences, and the current members won't want to divvy up the money any more. A better solution would be for the remaining power programs to figure out a way to mutually benefit from their combined value. For instance, implement some sort of scheduling arrangement that is based off of prior year's performance would be cool, similar to the way Champions League functions. Sell those specific games as a package to a network and that's instant increased value.
Just make a decision among those teams that you don't play a team from the Big 10/SEC after your current contracts are fufilled. Make em play each other or just beat up on the UAPB's of the world. Just let em live on their own little fantasy island of smugness and unearned superiority.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I agree with Gundy's take on this. OU left the conference for more money, and both teams have moved on with their schedules. It's sad to see a rivalry ending, but it's a natural casualty of OU's decisions.

College football loses something, because rivalries are one of the unique elements of the sport. But OSU doesn't need the rivalry, and we probably don't lose anything in the big picture by moving on without it. And it's certainly not our responsibility to bend over backwards to find a way to keep OU on the schedule. If OU valued the rivalry, then they can work to make it happen. If they valued the state of Oklahoma, they wouldn't have left or would have made OSU a package deal. They haven't done any of that. Case closed. Move on.

What else is there to discuss?

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I do think the 12 team playoff will help a ton with that though. Kids go to the "Big" schools because they know they will get to play for a national championship and get drafted. Look at college basketball. There is first round talent spread out at all levels of basketball because 68 teams get into the dance. There is less pressure on a kid to go to a "power" school. I think OSU is set up nicely to be a perinneal playoff team and be one of the first teams to really reap the benefits of the expanded playoffs.
I don't agree. All those resources help, but you can still win a title making $20 mil less and not paying players through NIL as much, or coaches as much. We should of won a title in 2011, and we would of had a shot last year. The Alabama's, Ohio State's, and Clemson's (all the recent title winners really) have gotten through with favoritism and not having to find out how good an Oklahoma State team in 2011 was. The new playoff system will level the playing field. We have made less than the SEC and BIG Ten for a while now, it doesn't mean OU (or Clemson may be a better example) hasn't had a shot (and the Cowboys in limited years). I do think talent will start to spread more too, because you have to get PT to get paid more as a player and get noticed by NFL scouts.
I like this optimism... and agree on most of the points... I guess 20+ years of paths being cleared just for bluebloods has made me a skeptic. It seems every time the "powers that be" put something new in place that is supposed to bring parity to college football, it ends up doing the exact opposite.

I pray/hope you guys are right. :koolaid::thumbup:

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/university-of-texas-arch-manning-recruiting-visit-money-cost#:~:text=Pay to Play-,The University of Texas reportedly spent $280,000 on Arch Manning's,including a trip to Topgolf&text=For years, media and fans,t mean they come cheap.
For years, media and fans alike have peddled a huge misnomer about college football: Just because the players don’t get paid, doesn’t mean they come cheap. This isn’t a justification for NOT paying them. Nor is it a commentary on the new NIL/transfer portal landscape. But the notion that the blue-blood programs remain the blue-blood programs based on reputation and savvy recruiting—that players are “free” commodities—simply isn’t accurate. Don’t take our word for it, though. Just listen to the much smarter folks over at The Athletic, who dug into all the details of Texas’ lavish recruiting visit for five-star, internet-famous QB Arch Manning and nine other recruits back in June; a $280,000 weekend replete with tomahawk ribeyes, ice sculptures, luxury suites, open bars, and more.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
The bright side of NIL is that before only the SEC could pay their players. Now everyone gets to.
There's a lot of truth to this. It also is relevant to Bedlam where OU boosters have been providing special benefits to players (Cars, no-show jobs, gas - and that's just the stuff that's leaked out) for decades with little to no punishment.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Absolutely this!

110% agree. Especially in today's college football landscape. AND, I'm afraid, with NIL and transfer portal, and coaching salaries, it's going to get MUCH worse. There's a point of diminishing returns, and we are reaching it at breakneck speed.
This is true. I'm just wondering when that realization hits the People's Republic of Norman.