No more Bedlam

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
You could see this coming from a mile away. OSU schedules one P5 opponent per year in the non-conference, and we have P5 opponents lined up in 13 of the next 15 years. Bedlam football is dead for the foreseeable future unless we face them in a bowl game or get an invite to the SEC.

Oct 19, 2008
You could see this coming from a mile away. OSU schedules one P5 opponent per year in the non-conference, and we have P5 opponents lined up in 13 of the next 15 years. Bedlam football is dead for the foreseeable future unless we face them in a bowl game or get an invite to the SEC.
I could see us upgrading the non-conference in the future. If we get an auto-bid for being a conference champ with the 12 team playoff then there's no harm in scheduling multiple power 5 games. In fact, i think it will be important to get us as much national exposure in the non-conference as possible because our conference games will not be on the major broadcast networks very often. I'm not sure that means it will be OU every season but i think (and hope) we schedule more than 1 power conference team moving forward

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I dont like it. Longstanding rivalries are part of what make college ball so awesome, and losing them sucks. texas and texas a&m acted childish when a&m left for the sec, and now osu/ou seem to be acting the same. Just my opinion.
It'd be one thing if this were just OU leaving the conference but this was OU working with their rival Texas behind everyone's backs to leave the conference. F*** 'em.

Oct 29, 2016
US
The entire situation is depressing. The new Big 12 will be so freaking weak. The incoming members will only guarantee the irrelevancy and demise of the Big 12. The conference will be so weak that I hope OSU schedules premier Power 5 members, for non-conference games. Otherwise, strength of schedule will plummet full-steam ahead. The new Big 12 will literally be Conference USA 2.0

College football is over. It's a tragedy.

Oct 30, 2012
In the words of the sooner himself, Al Eschbach "Seeeee yuhhh". They made the decisions to leave the conference, not Oklahoma State. Castiglione is so arrogant.

Oct 30, 2012
I really love Brent Venables but it's people like Castiglione and many others that just wont' allow me to hope for any success of that University. I pray they become middle of the pack in the SEC.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
The entire situation is depressing. The new Big 12 will be so freaking weak. The incoming members will o
nly guarantee the irrelevancy and demise of the Big 12. The conference will be so weak that I hope OSU schedules premier Power 5 members, for non-conference games. Otherwise, strength of schedule will plummet full-steam ahead. The new Big 12 will literally be Conference USA 2.0

College football is over. It's a tragedy.

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Not sure how any true college football fan could support this. The sport is built on the office water cooler talk, family divisions, and tradition. This is the 2nd longest running rivalry in the entire sport. I can't imagine the little brother syndrome required to think like some of y'all.

Our AD and Administration has been embarrassing with this. Blaming each other and talking about the suffering of the state of Oklahoma when they could easily cancel some FCS games or tell Tulsa to kick rocks. Cut the crap Chad. It hurts our fan base, our pocket book, our brand, and the tradition of college football. It helps in no way unless you think like a delusional little brother or a... loser.

I don't want to live in fantasy land. I want to know exactly where we stand and what is required to win a national championship. A new Big 12 schedule minus OUT, 2 G5s, and a mid level P5 team will not build a national champion.

P.S. we beat them last year

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If the college football power brokers want bedlam to happen, then there is a simple way to make it happen. Other than that, see ya.

I just wish they were also physically moving to an SEC state as well because we're still going to have to put up with the bandwagon fans and local media love.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I dont like it. Longstanding rivalries are part of what make college ball so awesome, and losing them sucks. texas and texas a&m acted childish when a&m left for the sec, and now osu/ou seem to be acting the same. Just my opinion.
While I agree I hate that rivalries are dying, we didn’t do this. Why should we keep playing them when no one else in the XII will be playing that kind of game every year? Why should we play them when we’re looking at a $70 million swing between what they’re going to get and what we’re going to lose. Bedlam dying is on them.

It’s the right decision for us, clean break. We can talk about playing them again in 20 years. I hope it’s all sports. Don’t give them cheap instate games in any sport. If they cry about it, only play in Stillwater.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
We have already built an impressive non-conference schedule for the next 15 years. We don't need to add any other strong teams to our schedule. The Big 12 will remain highly competitive with no drop off in competition with those two schools leaving.

The playoff expanding to 12 teams has leveled the playing field for our conference in terms of having a seat at the table. If Fox or ESPN wants to swoop in and offer us 10 mil a year to play those dudes in 15 years then sure, why not? But right now our schedule is packed and I don't see any reason to find a way to make it work in football until then.

Oct 30, 2012
We have already built an impressive non-conference schedule for the next 15 years. We don't need to add any other strong teams to our schedule. The Big 12 will remain highly competitive with no drop off in competition with those two schools leaving.

The playoff expanding to 12 teams has leveled the playing field for our conference in terms of having a seat at the table. If Fox or ESPN wants to swoop in and offer us 10 mil a year to play those dudes in 15 years then sure, why not? But right now our schedule is packed and I don't see any reason to find a way to make it work in football until then.
Spot on.

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
LOL. I guess if you truly don't care about a national championship, I understand where you're coming from. No remaining Big 12 teams have sniffed a championship for 80 years. What is magically going to change with an expanded playoff?

We need to ascend to a higher level than we are to win a national championship. That will require better recruiting. Recruiting will not increase with that schedule. It will likely get worse. We need to play OU every year to show we can beat the SEC.

Otherwise, you need to admit your goal is not a championship; you're happy making the playoffs and getting smoked like Cincy, Michigan State, Oregon, and the others in this short playoff history. Even OU saw they couldn't compete anymore, and we're not YET where they WERE.

"We don't need to add any strong teams to our schedule."
JFC. We need the old fans to move on

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Not sure how any true college football fan could support this.
I absolutely do NOT support all this conference realignment...if I had my way we'd still be playing in the big 8 or the original big 12. But it IS happening and OSU shares exactly 0% of the blame for bedlam dying...zip, zero, zilch, nada, none. So why should we bend over backwards to make it happen? The ones who killed it are the ones who need to give a little if they want bedlam back.