NIL will ruin college football without some massive overhauls

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
We are now just learning about significant long term football brain injury. Until recent years the possibility of long term of injury was ignored by the athletic community. Targeting the head is now rightly penalized and new helmets offer better protection but but we all know it still happens. Does anyone have an answer? I don't.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
We are now just learning about significant long term football brain injury. Until recent years the possibility of long term of injury was ignored by the athletic community. Targeting the head is now rightly penalized and new helmets offer better protection but but we all know it still happens. Does anyone have an answer? I don't.
Take the helmets off and they won't use their heads for weapon.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Take the helmets off and they won't use their heads for weapon.
It’s coming out that just the simple act of “heading” in soccer is leading to the same symptoms of CTE.

Now think about how many whacks you’ve taken to the noodle since childhood.
CTE is some nasty business. And just because football players are category II or III, doesn’t mean average people aren’t too.

One of the main stories these boxers and players are saying, THEY’RE DOING THINGS THEY DON’T WANT TO. Like their mind won’t leave them alone unless they do it. Risky behavior that doesn’t make sense and they’re doing it anyway. Engaging in behavior we always associated with ROID RAGE. It seems roids might have nothing to do with it.

Furthermore, before science caught up, humanity knew hard hits to the head make people damaged. “What? Did your parents drop you on your head?”

I say these things in that particular order so that a person reading this might not just get a realization why it’s happening to them but an epiphany.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
It’s coming out that just the simple act of “heading” in soccer is leading to the same symptoms of CTE.

Now think about how many whacks you’ve taken to the noodle since childhood.
CTE is some nasty business. And just because football players are category II or III, doesn’t mean average people aren’t too.

One of the main stories these boxers and players are saying, THEY’RE DOING THINGS THEY DON’T WANT TO. Like their mind won’t leave them alone unless they do it. Risky behavior that doesn’t make sense and they’re doing it anyway. Engaging in behavior we always associated with ROID RAGE. It seems roids might have nothing to do with it.

Furthermore, before science caught up, humanity knew hard hits to the head make people damaged. “What? Did your parents drop you on your head?”

I say these things in that particular order so that a person reading this might not just get a realization why it’s happening to them but an epiphany.
You can see my post and link to the research paper above regarding concussion across sports and sex.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
You can see my post and link to the research paper above regarding concussion across sports and sex.
Saw it. Now applying to the general public. What about those in auto accidents that hit their head on the wheel? Golf ball to the noggin? Fight in the parking lot? What if the hits only need to be slaps? See where I’m going with this?
From The Mayo Clinic. Symptoms of CTE :

Cognitive impairment

Difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment)
Memory loss
Problems with planning, organization and carrying out tasks (executive function)
Behavioral changes

Impulsive behavior
Aggression
Mood disorders

Depression or apathy
Emotional instability
Substance misuse
Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Motor symptoms

Parkinsonism
Motor neuron disease

A lot of that list shares symptoms with some of our most common and important mental health issues. I’m thinking if more and more people realize that maybe they’re not crazy, they’re just operating at a diminished capacity, could really go a long long way to wrapping our arms and minds around this issue. Maybe a long the lines of noting those who take monster head shots and evaluating them over the course of time afterwards with therapy and hopefully rehab.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Saw it. Now applying to the general public. What about those in auto accidents that hit their head on the wheel? Golf ball to the noggin? Fight in the parking lot? What if the hits only need to be slaps? See where I’m going with this?
From The Mayo Clinic. Symptoms of CTE :

Cognitive impairment

Difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment)
Memory loss
Problems with planning, organization and carrying out tasks (executive function)
Behavioral changes

Impulsive behavior
Aggression
Mood disorders

Depression or apathy
Emotional instability
Substance misuse
Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Motor symptoms

Parkinsonism
Motor neuron disease

A lot of that list shares symptoms with some of our most common and important mental health issues. I’m thinking if more and more people realize that maybe they’re not crazy, they’re just operating at a diminished capacity, could really go a long long way to wrapping our arms and minds around this issue. Maybe a long the lines of noting those who take monster head shots and evaluating them over the course of time afterwards with therapy and hopefully rehab.
A lot of that research has been taking place and is ongoing. We continue to learn.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
A lot of that research has been taking place and is ongoing. We continue to learn.
My only hope is that people will reflect backwards and maybe start to see their loved ones in a new light. “Evil” maybe not even be real. Might just be a damaged brain.

Throughout my experiences, I’ve heard time and time again when I asked “why did you do that?” and the answer comes back “I don't know” or “I didn’t want to do it” and that always left me perplexed. How do you not control your own actions? Or like an addict, Why keep taking the substance that makes you miserable? I think we are getting closer to the reasons why.

The ID, the ego and the superego.

Or as the more religiously inclined would say, The Body, Mind and Spirit.

Whatever names we give these operating systems, we need to understand the mechanism is in each sphere and how they interact together. We are not even to the point where humanity agrees these 3 outliers exist.

But once we do, the recognition that it could happen to anyone of us, should challenge the dynamics of mental health and mental health institutions.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So OU QB Caleb Williams entered the Portal to see what offers would come....former NFL QB Charlie Batch laid out an NIL offer for him to go to Eastern Michigan.

https://twitter.com/CharlieBatch16/status/1478860539606573060

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
So OU QB Caleb Williams entered the Portal to see what offers would come....former NFL QB Charlie Batch laid out an NIL offer for him to go to Eastern Michigan.

https://twitter.com/CharlieBatch16/status/1478860539606573060
Pay for play??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I mean, that's where we're at now.
I thought this has been clear since last summer, but I guess not.
Except isn't there one specific instance in what the NCAA passed in that they can't be paid specifically just to attend a certain college? Otherwise it's supposed to violate pay for play and thus doesn't meet their requirements of NIL.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Except isn't there one specific instance in what the NCAA passed in that they can't be paid specifically just to attend a certain college? Otherwise it's supposed to violate pay for play and thus doesn't meet their requirements of NIL.

Perhaps, but the company here is GameAbove Capital.