NIL will ruin college football without some massive overhauls

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The #1 High School Pick in the Nation just committed to Jackson State (Dieon Sanders Head Coach). He had been verbal committed to Florida State and then Barstool Sports announced a Multi-Million $$ NIL deal with him

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
This story is bonkers! Taking the money up front, but could hurt yourself at much, much more in the pros since he'll only receive a fraction of the coverage at a D II school.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
This story is bonkers! Taking the money up front, but could hurt yourself at much, much more in the pros since he'll only receive a fraction of the coverage at a D II school.
Maybe, we'll see how much barstool sports cover him and how much thay translates to broader attention. His accomplishments will definitely be looked at skeptically especially since prime time is not know for developing (or even really caring about) players.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
But does he need the coverage? I mean the NFL is going to find the talent and its not like this kid is hiding. In a weird way the NFL may actually prefer this because he is likely to get less damage to his body at the HBCU level and thus be fresher when he gets to the NFL.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
But does he need the coverage? I mean the NFL is going to find the talent and its not like this kid is hiding. In a weird way the NFL may actually prefer this because he is likely to get less damage to his body at the HBCU level and thus be fresher when he gets to the NFL.
Maybe not and maybe you're right. It would be an amazing change if these top athletes started going to a lower division and dominated the competition. Still, you aren't going to be getting the elite levels of coaching, training, nutrition, etc. that you would be getting at the larger universities with all their resources.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Maybe not and maybe you're right. It would be an amazing change if these top athletes started going to a lower division and dominated the competition. Still, you aren't going to be getting the elite levels of coaching, training, nutrition, etc. that you would be getting at the larger universities with all their resources.
That is true but the kid can afford to get his own resources on his own now... lol.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Wait till the people who pump all their $$'s into Texas and Notre Dame football find out they can make a bigger and REAL on field impact by having their companies sign multi million deals with Athletes instead of donating enough to the University to get their name on a building or field.

Then it will become about which Univ alums have access to or control of Companies and business ventures and partnerships that will have the deepest pockets to provide the best NIL offers to give top athletes at Blue Chip schools and they will DOMINATE all recruiting and no one else will have a shot

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Wait till the people who pump all their $$'s into Texas and Notre Dame football find out they can make a bigger and REAL on field impact by having their companies sign multi million deals with Athletes instead of donating enough to the University to get their name on a building or field.

Then it will become about which Univ alums have access to or control of Companies and business ventures and partnerships that will have the deepest pockets to provide the best NIL offers to give top athletes at Blue Chip schools and they will DOMINATE all recruiting and no one else will have a shot
This^^^
Watch for SMU to probably become a big player again as well with their wealthy alumni.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Corporations need to be careful here as they can easily alienate their customer base by backing the wrong team.

I haven't had Cane's Chicken since the Rattler deal was announced.
Looks like my list of boycotts is going to grow . . . .

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I'd like to see those stats.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

Changes the entire relationship with boosters.

I'll pony up $1,000,000 for a kid but I want a free press box with it.....