NIL thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
UT charity to pay scholarship offensive linemen $50k per year.

We kept hearing NIL was to allow players the ability to market their name image and likeness. I can’t imagine the intent of the NIL rules was to allow boosters of a school to create a charitable organization that benefits scholarship offensive linemen with $50k per year with no apparent return obligation.

This is just one of the first examples of how NIL will morph into pay for play and the end of college football as we know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
This is the reality of college football going forward. Boosters can now pay players to come to their school, meanwhile our basketball team is on 3 years probation.
For a few hundo and it was self reported and the kid didn't play while ineligible.

Buckle up, it's only going to get worse. People are about to test how far they can stretch this, which is going to be almost to infinity.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Yep he will probably make a lot more at UT.
The number of bench players that will get paid....

I know it's been said before, but I really worry about the direct line these boosters are now going to have to these kids and the pressure they're going to have. They will absolutely see these kids as investments and make that clear to the players as well.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
The number of bench players that will get paid....

I know it's been said before, but I really worry about the direct line these boosters are now going to have to these kids and the pressure they're going to have. They will absolutely see these kids as investments and make that clear to the players as well.
I've made this point before (not here) about wealthy programs stockpiling bench players and was told nahhh, NIL is only going to benefit a few star players with endorsements. It didn't take long for NIL to morph into semi-pro across the board.
If you give a Walk-On $50k (or more) then he won't count against your scholarship limit and you can hoard talent. A kid can benefit more going to ride the pine at Bama or UT than he can with a full ride to play at OSU.

Jul 9, 2004
With recruiting targets getting younger and younger. When will we hear about some 8th grade kid getting an NIL deal after committing to an Alabama, Ohio St, Texas or whoever?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
and enter SMU

SMU Boosters Pledge Insane Amount Of Money To Pay Football Players Legally, The Pony Express Rides Again

The ‘PonyUp’ program is going to get money into the pockets of football players. It is completely legal under the NCAA’s interim rules on Name, Image and Likeness that were put into place in July.

By pledging $1 million in NIL annually, it means that each of the 105(ish) players on SMU’s roster could receive $9,500 each year. It doesn’t quite work like that, but it could.

Insane. Just six months ago, this was not even a thought.

This ‘PonyUp’ program is revolutionizing the sport and how it functions. SMU can now weaponize its NIL fund and recruit athletes by promising a guaranteed amount of money in Name, Image and Likeness opportunities if said athlete is to commit to the Mustangs.

For example, imagine that SMU is recruiting a highly-coveted prospect. The program could approach him and say, “if you come to SMU, we can guarantee you $50,000 a year in NIL.”

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
and enter SMU

SMU Boosters Pledge Insane Amount Of Money To Pay Football Players Legally, The Pony Express Rides Again

The ‘PonyUp’ program is going to get money into the pockets of football players. It is completely legal under the NCAA’s interim rules on Name, Image and Likeness that were put into place in July.

By pledging $1 million in NIL annually, it means that each of the 105(ish) players on SMU’s roster could receive $9,500 each year. It doesn’t quite work like that, but it could.

Insane. Just six months ago, this was not even a thought.

This ‘PonyUp’ program is revolutionizing the sport and how it functions. SMU can now weaponize its NIL fund and recruit athletes by promising a guaranteed amount of money in Name, Image and Likeness opportunities if said athlete is to commit to the Mustangs.

For example, imagine that SMU is recruiting a highly-coveted prospect. The program could approach him and say, “if you come to SMU, we can guarantee you $50,000 a year in NIL.”
It's still going to be interesting to see how they actually find enough face time to divide among every player on a team. And the players are busy enough already.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
With recruiting targets getting younger and younger. When will we hear about some 8th grade kid getting an NIL deal after committing to an Alabama, Ohio St, Texas or whoever?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Wouldn't it theoretically bump into child labor laws? I could see this happening to a senior in HS, but not for kids below 16 or whatever the labor law says.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I've made this point before (not here) about wealthy programs stockpiling bench players and was told nahhh, NIL is only going to benefit a few star players with endorsements. It didn't take long for NIL to morph into semi-pro across the board.
If you give a Walk-On $50k (or more) then he won't count against your scholarship limit and you can hoard talent. A kid can benefit more going to ride the pine at Bama or UT than he can with a full ride to play at OSU.
You can't stockpile 'walk-ons' anymore. That ended years ago when Nebraska had their walk-on program.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
In a time of power and greed, this young man steps up to make a difference.

Oklahoma QB Nick Evers Sending NIL Money to Charity to 'Help Make a Difference in the World'

“We really just want to help make a difference in the world,” Evers told SI Sooners. “And I think this is the first step that I can do.”

In Evers’ case, he’ll attend or arrange events, such as autograph signings or meet-and-greets, and donate all proceeds to Make-A-Wish.

“I see all these kids are going through so much,” Evers said. “I mean, they have these life-threatening diseases. And, you know, to see them have a smile on their face — even though they're going through all this stuff — because of the things that I can provide for them, and all these other athletes can provide for them, I think is really amazing.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
In a time of power and greed, this young man steps up to make a difference.

Oklahoma QB Nick Evers Sending NIL Money to Charity to 'Help Make a Difference in the World'

“We really just want to help make a difference in the world,” Evers told SI Sooners. “And I think this is the first step that I can do.”

In Evers’ case, he’ll attend or arrange events, such as autograph signings or meet-and-greets, and donate all proceeds to Make-A-Wish.

“I see all these kids are going through so much,” Evers said. “I mean, they have these life-threatening diseases. And, you know, to see them have a smile on their face — even though they're going through all this stuff — because of the things that I can provide for them, and all these other athletes can provide for them, I think is really amazing.
That's awesome