NIL thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
You guys laughed when WVU lost 2 future NFL players off its defense to UGA and Auburn, but the NIL is going to make it very, very hard for teams like WVU, Oklahoma State, TCU, etc to hold on to elite players.

When teams like Texas, Ohio State, and others can actually pay them six or seven figure salaries to play college ball.

So, you recruit a diamond in the rough, develop him into an All American, and then a SEC big boy comes calling with a brinks truck.
I disagree. They will get paid more in a small market where they are the man vs a blue blood where they are just another guy.

Plus, they aren't mercenaries. They are getting 20K to stay or 40K to transfer-20 year olds only care about their buddies, getting laid, and beer money. Most of them think they are getting to the NFL so the big payday is coming no matter where they play. If money for their immediate needs isn't an issue odds are they are more likely to stay in a situation where they are comfortable versus jumping ship because someone us saying they can make more in the portal.

Gotta admit not all of them will see it this way so the next few years are going to be a nightmare for coaches.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I remember when I use to think $1,000 was a lot of money. Those were the days.
I remember those days too. I don't remember having in my wallet as fun money at 20 though.

For minor sports, Ferrari is the exception to the rule. He's really good at what he does, has a legitimate pro (MMA and/or Olympic athlete) career ahead of him and has the personality that will make him more money off the mat than on. He will do just fine in all of this. Same for women softball or volleyball players with 50K followers on Instagram. I'm sure there are girls on your softball team who are making similar money right now.

It will really be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Yep, this is also another reason OU and UT are looking to move. SEC already cheats like no one else, now its legal. They need better control over the NIL . Like a max deal.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
A high school sophomore just signed a deal and os expected take millions off it.
Don't secondary school activity groups regulate the ability of kids to participate if they are making money off their performance?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk