Nike sues Lil Nas X over "Satan Shoes"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
I disagree with the satanism... But...

Where does the line get drawn?

Can Ford now sue the next up and coming Carroll Shelby that buys a fleet of Mustangs, modifies the heck out of them, and resales them?

What’s the difference?
I don't know for sure, but I would assume there was some sort of licensing agreement between Shelby and Ford.

I would draw the line that if someone is profiting off of my product (whether modified or not), there needs to be some sort of licensing contract in place. If there is no license, then they can't resale the product.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I don't know for sure, but I would assume there was some sort of licensing agreement between Shelby and Ford.

I would draw the line that if someone is profiting off of my product (whether modified or not), there needs to be some sort of licensing contract in place. If there is no license, then they can't resale the product.
Yeah, you’re probably right. Licensing agreement is probably the stop gap measurement.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I disagree with the satanism... But...

Where does the line get drawn?

Can Ford now sue the next up and coming Carroll Shelby that buys a fleet of Mustangs, modifies the heck out of them, and resales them?

What’s the difference?
Shelby has an agreement with Ford. I've been through their facilities in Vegas. Pretty cool if you get a chance to tour it.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Shelby has an agreement with Ford. I've been through their facilities in Vegas. Pretty cool if you get a chance to tour it.
Yep! The Shelby and Ford relationship started at Shleby's racing school where he wanted to take an Aston Martin frame and put a V8 engine in it and make a V8 that weighed less than 2600 lbs. Ford and Aston Martin agreed to give him a frame and motor on credit and he created the Shelby Cobra.

Shelby contacted Charles Hurlock of AC, who agreed to provide the chassis on credit. Dave Evans of Ford Motor Company, agreed to provide on credit, the 221-cubic-inch and 260-cubic-inch V8 engines with transmissions. The new car, called the Carroll Shelby Experimental or CSX0001, would be marketed as the Shelby AC Cobra, then AC Cobra, and eventually, the Ford Cobra.

Shelby's early racing successes led to a joint effort of Ford and Shelby-American to produce the Mustang-based Shelby GT350, starting in 1965, then the Shelby GT500, starting in 1967. Shelby produced those cars through 1968, then subsequent cars with the Shelby GT brand were produced in-house by Ford.
After parting with Ford, Shelby moved on to help develop performance cars with divisions of the two other Big 3 American companies: Dodge, and Oldsmobile.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Isn't that exactly how used car dealers operate??