NFL Playoffs

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Regardless of your thoughts on the halftime show, it was cringe-worthy on the pregame hearing Maria Taylor reference Mary J. Blige 'breaking down barriers' by being a black woman performing at this event. The first time, I thought 'well, we all remember Janet Jackson, so...', so I googled it and it's a worse comparison than I thought.

On the game, the better team ultimately won and it was yet another great finish. The NFL couldn't have hoped for a more compelling year of playoff games than this one.

Jun 14, 2011
I knew there would be a bunch of crusty old dudes complaining about the halftime show. In fact, we joked about that right after it ended, lol. Best one in a long time IMO.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Musically challenged I gather.
I'm a musician, and I thought it was fine. Probably all lip sync / fake performances like most seem to be, but the overall production was a cool aesthetic that was regionally appropriate.

Do you know how hard it is to setup a reliable sound system of this size and complexity within the time constraints of an NFL halftime? They do these types of performances so they can better predict and control the outcome for a one-time shot at getting it right. Given the constraints, I don't blame them.

What type of performance would you prefer? Maybe they are taking suggestions.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I'm a musician, and I thought it was fine. Probably all lip sync / fake performances like most seem to be, but the overall production was a cool aesthetic that was regionally appropriate.

Do you know how hard it is to setup a reliable sound system of this size and complexity within the time constraints of an NFL halftime? They do these types of performances so they can better predict and control the outcome for a one-time shot at getting it right. Given the constraints, I don't blame them.

That's just it. It's a friggin hoax. People believe it's an actual performance. It's nothing more than a gozillion dollars' worth of props and some choreography with piped-in crap music on top. There's no actual musical talent on display, just visual hocus-pocus that's bought hook, line and sinker by certain generations.

Give me some marching bands.

Rant over.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

That's just it. It's a friggin hoax. People believe it's an actual performance. It's nothing more than a gozillion dollars' worth of props and some choreography with piped-in crap music on top. There's no actual musical talent on display, just visual hocus-pocus that's bought hook, line and sinker by certain generations.

Give me some marching bands.

Rant over.
It’s a television production. Ur marching band idea died 35 years ago in Super Bowls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
The halftime show felt kind of nostalgic for me, because I was in school during this era. I miss real rap music. Most of the newer stuff just doesn't measure up.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Oh, I know. But the real point is what "entertains" the target audience. No substance, just illusions.
The NFL is like all organizations right now that are attempting to pander to a mass market, but there's no way to keep everyone happy. As such, you get these lame, safe, watered down performances that are tailored to create the least hit to their bottom line.

This isn't just an NFL problem. It's everything these days.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I knew there would be a bunch of crusty old dudes complaining about the halftime show. In fact, we joked about that right after it ended, lol. Best one in a long time IMO.
It's funny because the music is from the crusty old dude time frame.
The tag end of Gen-X.

But every article I saw kept referencing millennials and other generations only because they threw in some of Dre's proteges.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk