NFL Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
After this NFL draft, it's comical that some people on this board have argued they would rather have 3* recruits over 4* and 5*. Are you kidding me?
You realize that 9 3*'s went in the first round, right?

With all due respect, I couldn’t disagree more about WR position. They are more valuable than ever. This is evident as 6 were drafted in the first round (more than any other position). 7 additional WRs were taken in the 2nd round, again more than any other position. In fact, 28 receivers were taken which was second to only CB.

I guess what is interesting to me is that there were 28 drafted and he was not one of the 28 especially when I have seen quite a few of them in game action. His ability to go up and get the ball was second to none in this draft IMHO.
No kidding! The Cardinals gave up a 1st round pick (which is insane) for Hollywood Brown, while Matt Ryan goes for a 6th round pick. The NFL values a 4th year WR dramatically more than a multi-Pro Bowl veteran QB with 2-3 years left in his career.

Then you've got the Tyreek Hill, Christian Kirk deals. Kirk is a 3rd WR in most every reasonable evaluator's eyes, and the guy gets $18 mil/year! That's QB money to a WR.

I think WR is a dependent position that obviously relies heavily on an OL providing protection and a QB delivering them the ball, but there's simply no denying that the NFL values this position hugely, at this time. It'll probably change, like other trends have, but for now, it's indisputable that they're highly, highly valued in the NFL.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
After this NFL draft, it's comical that some people on this board have argued they would rather have 3* recruits over 4* and 5*. Are you kidding me?
You realize that 9 3*'s went in the first round, right?

With all due respect, I couldn’t disagree more about WR position. They are more valuable than ever. This is evident as 6 were drafted in the first round (more than any other position). 7 additional WRs were taken in the 2nd round, again more than any other position. In fact, 28 receivers were taken which was second to only CB.

I guess what is interesting to me is that there were 28 drafted and he was not one of the 28 especially when I have seen quite a few of them in game action. His ability to go up and get the ball was second to none in this draft IMHO.
No kidding! The Cardinals gave up a 1st round pick (which is insane) for Hollywood Brown, while Matt Ryan goes for a 6th round pick. The NFL values a 4th year WR dramatically more than a multi-Pro Bowl veteran QB with 2-3 years left in his career.

Then you've got the Tyreek Hill, Christian Kirk deals. Kirk is a 3rd WR in most every reasonable evaluator's eyes, and the guy gets $18 mil/year! That's QB money to a WR.

I think WR is a dependent position that obviously relies heavily on an OL providing protection and a QB delivering them the ball, but there's simply no denying that the NFL values this position hugely, at this time. It'll probably change, like other trends have, but for now, it's indisputable that they're highly, highly valued in the NFL.
I think the abundance of wr picks this year is a result of some of the large contracts garnered by veteran QBs. Teams are figuring out they can’t pay their QBs $40M and still afford to play other skill positions similar money. Getting a young reciever you can control for 4 years is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think the abundance of wr picks this year is a result of some of the large contracts garnered by veteran QBs. Teams are figuring out they can’t pay their QBs $40M and still afford to play other skill positions similar money. Getting a young reciever you can control for 4 years is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed. That's why I think some of these teams that gave these huge deals to veteran WR's are insane, and they'll regret them in due course.

2 players come to mind in how the league got this point:
Russell Wilson-Seattle proved you can win a Super Bowl (almost two) with a QB on his rookie deal.
Todd Gurley-Rams rewarded him with a huge deal, then he gets hurt, and RB's just aren't as unique anymore. Guess you could add Zeke Eliot to this list, too.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Agreed. That's why I think some of these teams that gave these huge deals to veteran WR's are insane, and they'll regret them in due course.

2 players come to mind in how the league got this point:
Russell Wilson-Seattle proved you can win a Super Bowl (almost two) with a QB on his rookie deal.
Todd Gurley-Rams rewarded him with a huge deal, then he gets hurt, and RB's just aren't as unique anymore. Guess you could add Zeke Eliot to this list, too.
It will be interesting to see the delta in Aaron Rogers production vs the delta in Derek Carr’s with the move of Devante Adams.

Nov 18, 2010
Arguments I've seen are about 3 star players being developed into elite college football players. This draft proves that some of those 3 stars will get drafted into the NFL. Would it be nice if 5 star rated high school kids lined up to play at OSU? Yeah. But it isn't happening anytime soon. OSU isn't a blueblood and with the SEC/ESPN marketing alliance and now with the NIL, we aren't going to see many 5 stars here. There aren't many of them and they'll go where the money is...like they always have. Yet, somehow, our coaches find a way to put a roster of mostly 3 star guys and a handful of 4 star kids into positions that have them competing for conference championships most years. And its great to see those 'middle of the pack' players can go to OSU as a 3 star, get training and develop into NFL draft picks. It's impressive.