NFL Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 22, 2011
I find it interesting that Tay Martin and Kennedy Brooks did not get drafted. Both are play makers.
The game has changed, OLB, edge rushers safeties and CB are now more important than receivers, rookie receivers and RB are a dime a dozen. The teams that reached on recievers this draft are going to be cellar dwellers 2 years from now. While QBand skill positions get all the press, rushing the QB and and having good coverage especially on slot receivers and TE wins games in the NFL

Sep 22, 2011
15 years ago MR would have been a 1st round pick. But the game has changed and I am happy a team have him a shot, I think he will turn heads in camp just like he has at the college level

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The game has changed, OLB, edge rushers safeties and CB are now more important than receivers, rookie receivers and RB are a dime a dozen. The teams that reached on recievers this draft are going to be cellar dwellers 2 years from now. While QBand skill positions get all the press, rushing the QB and and having good coverage especially on slot receivers and TE wins games in the NFL
With all due respect, I couldn’t disagree more about WR position. They are more valuable than ever. This is evident as 6 were drafted in the first round (more than any other position). 7 additional WRs were taken in the 2nd round, again more than any other position. In fact, 28 receivers were taken which was second to only CB.

I guess what is interesting to me is that there were 28 drafted and he was not one of the 28 especially when I have seen quite a few of them in game action. His ability to go up and get the ball was second to none in this draft IMHO.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I think it really just depends on who’s available when, what each team really needs, and management philosophy on best available versus team needs. Receivers are definitely a critical part of modern day offenses, but in terms of which may be more valuable, it’s also no coincidence that 3 of the first five picks excel at rushing the passer. The question I would pose is this: Atlanta, the Jets, and Saints were the first 3 teams to pick a WR at 8, 10, and 11; would they have gone DE? Again, depends on what I mentioned earlier.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Being that our 3rd down conversion rate improved without said 4th reliable option I’ll let you answer.
Ha, we also lost the 1st, 2nd and 3rd options from the previous year. All I'm saying is I would like to have a TE threat on offense to compliment our WR/RB threats. You disagree...that's cool.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Ha, we also lost the 1st, 2nd and 3rd options from the previous year. All I'm saying is I would like to have a TE threat on offense to compliment our WR/RB threats. You disagree...that's cool.
I never said I disagreed, I’m a huge fan of the position and would like to utilize one more as well, I just don’t think it would increase production, mostly change it. In some situations it would work beautifully, in others it could take away from a better option.

Looking back on most of our 3rd down conversion failures when passing, was it because the receivers were unable to get open and make a play on the ball? Or was it due to ball placement i.e. in the dirt, overthrown, or to the defense?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I never said I disagreed, I’m a huge fan of the position and would like to utilize one more as well, I just don’t think it would increase production, mostly change it. In some situations it would work beautifully, in others it could take away from a better option.

Looking back on most of our 3rd down conversion failures when passing, was it because the receivers were unable to get open and make a play on the ball? Or was it due to ball placement i.e. in the dirt, overthrown, or to the defense?
I would guess our 3rd down % was often due to the situation (often 3rd and long) due to failed runs to start the drive coupled with our heavy reliance on the jump ball along the sideline (low % play) along with execution problems like routes, poor throws, etc...

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
After this NFL draft, it's comical that some people on this board have argued they would rather have 3* recruits over 4* and 5*. Are you kidding me?
you mean like all the 4* and 5*s on Texas roster that didn't get drafted . . . . .. ZERO, not a single one.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
you mean like all the 4* and 5*s on Texas roster that didn't get drafted . . . . .. ZERO, not a single one.
Or all the guys that went first round that were unranked and 3* coming out of high-school. (Picks 4, 6, 19, 20, 24, 29 on a quick scroll through that I'm sure missed guys that had transfered to big name schools)