NFL Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 8, 2007
I had to login to post, what are these teams thinking drafting all these WRs ahead of Tylan? They that worried about his knee? Someone is going to get a steal.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
I know I’m biased, but some head scratcher WR picks ahead of Wallace
anthony schwartz is the only one I somewhat understood. still would take Tylan over him though. the one from Tennessee really made me scratch my head. dude never even had over 500 season receiving yards

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
I know I’m biased, but some head scratcher WR picks ahead of Wallace
All they’re thinking about is his surgically repaired knee and his identical twin brother’s two repaired knees and thinking they won’t risk third round money on a player that may be injured more than healthy. Plus, other than Dez Bryant, name an OSU receiver that proved worthy of a first, second or third round draft pick. Woods was a bust. Blackmon was a bust. Dykes was a bust. Washington still can improve, but he’s not a starter.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
All they’re thinking about is his surgically repaired knee and his identical twin brother’s two repaired knees and thinking they won’t risk third round money on a player that may be injured more than healthy. Plus, other than Dez Bryant, name an OSU receiver that proved worthy of a first, second or third round draft pick. Woods was a bust. Blackmon was a bust. Dykes was a bust. Washington still can improve, but he’s not a starter.
Tyreek Hill is one of the top WRs in the NFL... And don’t give me that he wasn’t OSU...

“Plus” would indicate that it’s a part of the decision making criteria. Do you think a team looking to Draft TW is like...”Man I like this cat but 32 years ago Dykes didn’t live up to his 1st round potential.” Or “yeah it’s impressive what TW did the last couple of years but 17 years ago Woods blew his knee out.” Blackmon’s disease isn’t a factor either..

WRs are drafted off their tangibles... Height, Weight, Speed, Vertical, etc. Intangibles, route running, blocking, catching. Injuries and -off the field- are major factors. Like you said, his injury history is likely what’s pushing him down in the draft but where he went to school isn’t a factor.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I had to login to post, what are these teams thinking drafting all these WRs ahead of Tylan? They that worried about his knee? Someone is going to get a steal.
Tylan has a few knocks against him when considering the trends in the NFL right now. His injury and potential durability concerns will always be there. He isn't the biggest, fastest, or strongest. Many teams think he will struggle to get away from press coverage. He can't outrun DBs straight away. He barely runs under 4.50.

Here are his measurable rankings against WRs in this class
40-yd: 27
Bench: 7 (a lot of guys don't have this stat listed, but he is relatively strong)
3-Cone: 24
Shuttle: 19
Broad Jump: 55 (ouch)
Vertical: 45

So you look at that, and you see a guy that might not be explosive. Couple that with his injury and smaller size, and I can see why teams would take a guy like Schwartz over Tylan.

That said - I think he could stick in the NFL as a slot receiver for a few reasons.
1. He will catch everything thrown nearby
2. His route running is already NFL quality
3. He's physical enough after the catch to make up for his smaller frame

I think a lot of teams are looking for the next Tyreek Hill or D.K. Metcalf. Dudes that can out-athlete NFL corners one way or another. Tylan doesn't really do that. He will just be a solid, inside, possession-type guy in the NFL, I think. I do tend to agree that some NFL team is going to get a really good player with good value if they take him in the 4th.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I have watched a little of the draft every day since it started. A little surprised that Wallace is still on the board but haven’t heard Hubbard’s name even mentioned one time. What’s up with that?

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
I have watched a little of the draft every day since it started. A little surprised that Wallace is still on the board but haven’t heard Hubbard’s name even mentioned one time. What’s up with that?
That’s what happens when you get benched your senior year because someone behind you is performing better

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
Tyreek Hill is one of the top WRs in the NFL... And don’t give me that he wasn’t OSU...

“Plus” would indicate that it’s a part of the decision making criteria. Do you think a team looking to Draft TW is like...”Man I like this cat but 32 years ago Dykes didn’t live up to his 1st round potential.” Or “yeah it’s impressive what TW did the last couple of years but 17 years ago Woods blew his knee out.” Blackmon’s disease isn’t a factor either..

WRs are drafted off their tangibles... Height, Weight, Speed, Vertical, etc. Intangibles, route running, blocking, catching. Injuries and -off the field- are major factors. Like you said, his injury history is likely what’s pushing him down in the draft but where he went to school isn’t a factor.
It is when you have the same Head coach that is an offensive guy who is running his system that bridges between those receivers.

When that coaches receivers come into the league as not as good of route runners as needed, not able to read defenses very well etc . .because basically all they did in College was run fade routes, go routes, out routes and deep posts NFL teams put a tag in that coaches offensive sysyem and whether it is conducive to producing a good NFL receiver or not.

So...if Dez, Blackmon and Washington weren't good route runners when they left OSU then that will greatly affect the NFL's view of Wallace a d any other outside receiver that comes out of OSU.

You can go back and look at the routes giys like Bowman, Wallace, Washington, Blackmon ran at OSU and make a determination as to whether you think those routes had them prepared for the NFL.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Although LD was performing better....his high ankle sprain is what kept him on the bench. Kinda hard to tout the rock with a bum ankle.
We will never know how much his ankle affected him but being hurt the entire year is not going to do him any favors either, especially for a RB.