NeverMadeItToCampus All-Stars

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Dub

Deputy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
Who’s makes the top 10 list of Pokes baseball signees that never came to school? In my day, Darryl Strawberry was the name that stood out (I'd love to know the backstory on how a kid from Crenshaw was signed).

Who’s on the list?

Last edited:

The Poke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
A few more in baseball off the top of my head...

Gary Sheffield - was committed to OSU in 1986. (FWIW, the weird hand pump thing he did in the box was to slow his swing down with a wooden bat. Can't even imagine what he'd have done with the old school metal bats).
JT Realmuto - most folks probably remember that he's John Smith's nephew
Jake Arietta - was committed to OSU before he went to TCU

Jan 8, 2020
Oklahoma City
We had a basketball recruit a while back. Last name was Green.

He was one of the top High School kids in the Country that year. Ended up going straight to the NBA....
Gerald Green. That recruiting class was deep i believe and If memory serves me right like 3 of them never made it to campus for varying reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2011
Gerald Green. That recruiting class was deep i believe and If memory serves me right like 3 of them never made it to campus for varying reasons.

O-what could have been with that class and some Eddie coaching...
https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma-state/Season/2005-Basketball/Commits/

#1 overall recruit Gerald Green
#12 overall Keith Brumbaugh
#18 overall Byron Eaton
#34 overall Roderick Flemings
#70 overall Kenneth Cooper
#75 overall Terrel Harris
Also
Mario Boggan, Jamal Brown, & Torre Johnson

I know I have told this story before, but I don't care. A roommate and I went and watched some of the scrimmages in GIA that the team was doing before practices officially started. I can say, without hesitation, Brumbaugh was DOMINATING everyone in every game we watched. Super athletic, crazy high motor, and punished defenders when he was in the paint. O-what could have been....

Dec 21, 2008
What happened to Brumbaugh?

Off topic but Darrell Williams story still breaks my heart and how did Shaw avoid any consequences after transferring down to a TX school? wish we would bring DW back to apologize

Sep 2, 2014

what sucked is that was the very last year the NBA allowed players to go directly from high school. One year later we have him for at least one season.

Jun 14, 2011
What happened to Brumbaugh?

Off topic but Darrell Williams story still breaks my heart and how did Shaw avoid any consequences after transferring down to a TX school? wish we would bring DW back to apologize
I don't recall to many details, but he got caught stealing from Walmart and was kicked off the team.

Totally agree on Darrell Williams. What a horrible situation. Also, from purely a basketball perspective, having him as a senior on the team when Marcus Smart was here as a freshman... OMG. I truly believe we were a solid big man (Cobbins got injured that season) away from really being something special. Smart, Markel Brown, Nash, Cobbins, Brian Williams, JPO, Senior level Mason Cox. Easily Travis Ford's best two year run. We got out rebounded often that year and Smart was our leader in boards, so imagine having another year of experience from Darrell under the basket.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Another one I remember was during the Bob Simmons years. I can't remember the details, but we had offered a kid (I think out of Arkansas) a scholarship. During his Senior year, he suffered an injury that I seem to remember put him in a wheelchair for life?

Simmons honored his athletic scholarship to come to OSU even though he was not part of the football program. Class act by Simmons... I can't remember if the kid actually came to OSU or not...

EDIT:
Kenyana Tolbert was the kids name. Found this story from the O'colly:

https://www.ocolly.com/osu-keeps-pr...cle_1935d895-6b1e-57ba-a5ec-0132f44c2186.html

Last edited: