NCAA Men's Golf Championships at Karsten Creek

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
I got the impression that he doesn't want to score who wins what hole but who has the best score overall after 18 holes. So Player 1 has scores of 3, 4, 4, 5 etc. Player 2 has scores of 4, 4, 4, 3, normally they'd be tied in regular match play. I think his hypothetical format would have player 2 winning. So two guys are matched up together but the one with the fewest strokes overall wins the match. Which I think would typically be the case in normal match play but might not be if someone just bombs a hole.

Correct
1vs1
2vs2
3vs3
Etc...
Just as it is now in match play.

Except, instead of holes won being the determining factor as to who wins each match, the overall strokes between the 2 in each match determines the winner of that match.

That way you still have the made for TV drama that match play provides, but you also have amount of strokes determing winners which will give you a better chance at the better golfer winning each match and the better team winning the overall competition.

This format would also force at least 3 matches to finish all 18 holes and the winning putt would always be on 18 as it should be.

Last edited:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
This is why I'm OK with it. We should, every year, have 5 of the best golfers in the country. If our opponent has only 3 or 4 with weak link(s), it is very hard for them to beat us in a best of 5 match.
Yeah but honestly stroke play shows you which is the better team for sure which is why would should have 2 more National Titles. I see what you're saying but Stroke Play, while exciting for sure is flawed.

It's good for TV but as you know the lesser player can get a double bogey and other guy get a par and he is only down 1. ONly the holes count, not strokes so it helps the underdog or can.

Yesterday we just flat kicked butt and noone was beating us! Go Cowboys!!

2018 National Champions!!!!

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Just got back to Boulder and want to give kudos not only to the team, but all who pulled this event off. I thought the prep was A+ from the cart service in the parking lot thru the shuttle buses. Even the food was top notch at more than reasonable prices. The course condition was spectacular, considering two back to back events. I could go on, but would be rehashing earlier posts. Thanks for a great time from an old Boulder guy.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yeah but honestly stroke play shows you which is the better team for sure which is why would should have 2 more National Titles. I see what you're saying but Stroke Play, while exciting for sure is flawed.

It's good for TV but as you know the lesser player can get a double bogey and other guy get a par and he is only down 1. ONly the holes count, not strokes so it helps the underdog or can.

Yesterday we just flat kicked butt and noone was beating us! Go Cowboys!!

2018 National Champions!!!!
It truly is a miracle that you're able to turn on a computer and navigate the internet. Special education has made such great strides.

Sep 3, 2009
Does anyone know how to purchase a swinging Pete hat like the team wore yesterday? I have the latest one from swiningpete.com but didn't know if they are available like the team wore.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Uhh.... that is how it works. Fewest strokes wins the hole.
The difference being that the strokes don't count past each hole. If one player makes a birdie 3 and the other player makes a triple bogey 7, it's just one point, whereas in stroke play it's a difference of 4 points. So in stroke play, the better more consistent golfer has the advantage but in match player an average player can shake off several bad holes and still win the match. If the intent is to crown the best players as the champions then stroke play is by far the better way to do it....if the intent is to create drama and possibly bring in some TV revenue, then match play is the better way to do it.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
The difference being that the strokes don't count past each hole. If one player makes a birdie 3 and the other player makes a triple bogey 7, it's just one point, whereas in stroke play it's a difference of 4 points. So in stroke play, the better more consistent golfer has the advantage but in match player an average player can shake off several bad holes and still win the match. If the intent is to crown the best players as the champions then stroke play is by far the better way to do it....if the intent is to create drama and possibly bring in some TV revenue, then match play is the better way to do it.
Agree 100%, however the inferior golfer has to not only shake off bad holes, but also has to win holes...at least one more than the superior player. Very hard to do if the superior player doesn't make mistakes.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Agree 100%, however the inferior golfer has to not only shake off bad holes, but also has to win holes...at least one more than the superior player. Very hard to do if the superior player doesn't make mistakes.
You are operating under the assumption that the 'inferior golfer' is just a hack and has never seen a club. These were all Division 1 players who are all really good. The difference between them USUALLY comes down to overall consistency throughout the holes leading to a lower overall score. Worse players are fully capable of dropping several birdies in a round but also tend to hit a few bogies, doubles and maybe a triple in there.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
You are operating under the assumption that the 'inferior golfer' is just a hack and has never seen a club. These were all Division 1 players who are all really good. The difference between them USUALLY comes down to overall consistency throughout the holes leading to a lower overall score. Worse players are fully capable of dropping several birdies in a round but also tend to hit a few bogies, doubles and maybe a triple in there.
Not my assumption whatsoever, but ok...
This dead horse is now well beaten.

Sep 15, 2004
We have a really highly touted guy in Rayhan Thomas coming in next year from India/UAE. He's currently the 31st ranked amateur in the world, here's the current Cowboys by comparison: Hovland (7), Bauchou (23), Wolff (37), Ventura (49), and Eckroat (128). Also I found this article on him and found this quote pretty exciting:

"Last September he was T-2 in his title defense at Dubai Creek Golf and Yacht Club (Thomas’ home course since 2014), making more headlines by rattling off nine consecutive birdies in a second-round, 10-under 61. That tied a record in Official World Golf Ranking events that was previously set by Mark Calcavecchia at the 2009 Canadian Open."

https://golfweek.com/2018/01/07/oklahoma-state-commit-rayhan-thomas-continues-to-realize-potential/
I would assume Hayden Wood will have something to say about who’s ready to step up. Also, can’t count out Nick Heinen. Hopefully both stay. Noticed Tyson Reeder, former player, transferred to Arkansas and they made it to the last day (top 15) this week. Golf is so hard because it’s an individual sport when it comes to the travel guys, but it’s also an awesome team sport. There are so many good players and when Holder said our 6-10 could play anywhere it’s true. Look at what some of the non travel guys did in US Open qualifying this year.

Aug 16, 2012
This argument keeps talking about "the inferior golfer". That is a false argument. The inferior golfer is going to get beat across 18 holes no matter what the format. Match play actually gives the advantage to the superior golfer as he is just as likely to beat an inferior golfer more than 50% of the time which is all he has to do. Match play also benefits the better golfer so if he pulls a Sergio (Augusta 15th hole, 2018) on a hole, he only loses a single point. The odds are that a superior golfer is going to win most holes or at least push the hole. No reason to give a lesser golfer an 8-stroke swing because of one bad hole when he has had his butt kicked all day long.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
This argument keeps talking about "the inferior golfer". That is a false argument. The inferior golfer is going to get beat across 18 holes no matter what the format. Match play actually gives the advantage to the superior golfer as he is just as likely to beat an inferior golfer more than 50% of the time which is all he has to do. Match play also benefits the better golfer so if he pulls a Sergio (Augusta 15th hole, 2018) on a hole, he only loses a single point. The odds are that a superior golfer is going to win most holes or at least push the hole. No reason to give a lesser golfer an 8-stroke swing because of one bad hole when he has had his butt kicked all day long.
How can you make this argument knowing that you could beat someone by nearly 20 strokes in match play and still lose? Clearly stroke play gives the “superior” player a better chance to win. Match play is damn exciting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk