NCAA Denies OSU Basketball Appeal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
This whole thing is absolute bulls!t, and so utterly typical. Any time there’s a chance to spit in our eye, the NCAA does it. The near death penalty in the 90s, the Dez thing, and now this. All to punish who exactly? It couldn’t be more obvious that they just have a hard on for screwing us whenever they get a chance to.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I think the players need to do what Oliver did in baseball, and individual lawsuit vs NCAA for lost revenues (i.e. not playing in tourney and how that hurts their future earnings). I think they'd stand a good chance to win.

Nov 6, 2010
I think it would be difficult for OSU to win a court case, they signed as a member of the NCAA to agree by the terms and rulings of the NCAA. However, fans (and maybe even student athletes) have no such agreement with the NCAA and they have been denied because of the actions of a single individual.

They need to start penalizing those that commit the infractions and stop penalyzing student athletes. You know, the ones whose best interest they are supposed to be protecting!

Agreed, but how?? Only thing I can think of is financial penalties for the school and suspensions for the responsible coaches, wherever they may be when the punishment is levied. So in our instance, fine OSU whatever, and suspend Underwood. These coaches would be much more careful in their recruiting methods and assistant hires if they knew their misdeeds would follow them elsewhere.

Sep 24, 2011
Boynton was spitting fire. Even holding back some fire. When you name names, knowing they are listening, you have declared war. I don't think Boynton is done with this yet. And it seems our AD will let him do what he wants. I can imagine the post game interview on national TV when KU and others get off with a slap on the wrist. Boynton may break the internet.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Boynton was spitting fire. Even holding back some fire. When you name names, knowing they are listening, you have declared war. I don't think Boynton is done with this yet. And it seems our AD will let him do what he wants. I can imagine the post game interview on national TV when KU and others get off with a slap on the wrist. Boynton may break the internet.
I’m looking forward to this. And our AD didn’t look uncomfortable at all when coach Boynton said what he said. Which tells me that the AD is just as infuriated as Boynton, he just had a calmer demeanor. And also, it shows me they are on the same page.

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
I’m looking forward to this. And our AD didn’t look uncomfortable at all when coach Boynton said what he said. Which tells me that the AD is just as infuriated as Boynton, he just had a calmer demeanor. And also, it shows me they are on the same page.
Weiberg looked like a man sitting next to his coach to send the message “if I didn’t approve of this message, I wouldn’t be here”. The unity was a solid signal that they both feel the same way.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I doubt the NCAA has a specific beef with OSU. My guess is that they are a hammer seeking a nail, and the blue blood programs are off limits. They will generally seek to hammer programs that won't impact their bottom line or political ties as much, like OSU.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I doubt the NCAA has a specific beef with OSU. My guess is that they are a hammer seeking a nail, and the blue blood programs are off limits. They will generally seek to hammer programs that won't impact their bottom line or political ties as much, like OSU.
They absolutely have a beef with OSU...

https://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/2009/10/ncaa_settles_with_andrew_olive.html

Can't make them look bad without them taking any chance to get their revenge on your programs whenever they can.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK

Dude then you have no idea about anything with the NCAA when it comes to us. They absolutely have a beef with us and its evidenced over the years. The Andrew Oliver BS in Regionals against Wichita State, the Dez situation and now this. These are only 3 of the occurrences I can think of now. It also goes back to Gary Ward having a beef with the NCAA back in the 80s with baseball. The NCAA has and will always look to hammer us down and changes need to be made. They are just as corrupt as our government.

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
Dude then you have no idea about anything with the NCAA when it comes to us. They absolutely have a beef with us and its evidenced over the years. The Andrew Oliver BS in Regionals against Wichita State, the Dez situation and now this. These are only 3 of the occurrences I can think of now. It also goes back to Gary Ward having a beef with the NCAA back in the 80s with baseball. The NCAA has and will always look to hammer us down and changes need to be made. They are just as corrupt as our government.
It's both.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
The world of so-called college athletics is so "effed" up it's ridiculous. The NCAA, from the infractions committee to the playoff selection committee is so so corrupt it's unbelievable. I would call out any and all involved and start investigations into their associations with sponsors, donors, etc. Peel open the onion, man.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
I know this is all fresh, and we're all irate right now, so maybe that's what's talking here, but I really do think it would be a good idea if every single one of us who donates any money to our athletic department mobilizes and tells the school no more money for you until the lawsuit is filed. No more being pushed around. I've always been disappointed we didn't seek legal action on the SI thing. I don't want an administration that just sits back and takes it, but that's what we usually do....

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I just find it hard to believe that due to one of our coaches "having a beef with the NCAA back in the 80's", that such a large institution would go out of their way to specifically target us in an overt manner. It just doesn't seem like a realistic scenario. What's their incentive to do that for an incident that took place nearly 40 years ago?

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
I know this is all fresh, and we're all irate right now, so maybe that's what's talking here, but I really do think it would be a good idea if every single one of us who donates any money to our athletic department mobilizes and tells the school no more money for you until the lawsuit is filed. No more being pushed around. I've always been disappointed we didn't seek legal action on the SI thing. I don't want an administration that just sits back and takes it, but that's what we usually do....
I totally agree. Someone needs to feel some financial pain over this on up the chain of command. We really have nothing to lose. What can they do to us? Penalize us again and again. They've done that anyway and the university has bent over backwards to over enforce.

I think the NCAA is corrupt. Maybe it's time for someone to turn that laser light on the members of both the infractions committee and playoff committees. Do a deep dive in who each of them associates with from donors of "off limit" universities (i.e. Kansas, Ohio State, etc.) to corporate sponsors of the playoffs as to kickbacks and financial incentives. This system is just unfair and so obvious that some schools never get punished for worse infractions and the "eye test" brands always make it to the playoffs. Seems a little fishy to me.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I’m really happy Dr Shrum is in charge now and not Hargis. Might prefer Holder to be our fighting champ but Weiberg letting Boynton do his thing got my attention.

Aug 16, 2012
On the other hand, I think everyone within 200 miles of Stillwater needs to show up at GIA and support the team. These kids need to be reminded we have their back. At the games would be great but a "We are Marshall, don't cancel the program" type rally would be better, but not enough time to get it organized since only one open day before first tip-off