NCAA Denies OSU Basketball Appeal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
https://twitter.com/insidethencaa/status/1458932828729753603?s=21

Oklahoma State Infractions Case Statement
November 12, 2021
NCAA Statement
Comments by Oklahoma State personnel regarding its infractions case resulted in NCAA volunteer committee members and staff receiving threatening and offensive messages after being identified by name. This is unacceptable.

Oklahoma State personnel encouraged individuals to circumvent the NCAA member-created process that every school agrees to participate in as part of their responsibility to each other. Further, there is a troubling trend of misstating facts about the infractions process by schools that disagree with the infractions outcomes. Each member has the ability to seek change to the Division I infractions process, and there is a review group underway looking at how to improve the process.

This is also a clear example of the work that needs to be done to address issues and behaviors like this moving forward with the new NCAA Constitution and Division I Transformation process. We know that an adverse decision can be emotional, but personal attacks against individuals simply carrying out their responsibilities are inappropriate, unethical and potentially dangerous.

John J. DeGioia, NCAA Board of Governors chair and president at Georgetown
Jere Morehead, NCAA Division I Board of Directors chair and president at Georgia
Mark Emmert, NCAA President
Media Contact
Michelle Brutlag Hosick
Director of Communications
mhosick@ncaa.org

What do the following statements mean with respect to the presser held by Weiberg and Boynton?

1. Oklahoma State personnel encouraged individuals to circumvent the NCAA member-created process that every school agrees to participate in as part of their responsibility to each other.

2. Further, there is a troubling trend of misstating facts about the infractions process by schools that disagree with the infractions outcomes.

If either of these statements are incorrect, I would hope OSU would issue a strongly worded statement denouncing the NCAA statements.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
What do the following statements mean with respect to the presser held by Weiberg and Boynton?

1. Oklahoma State personnel encouraged individuals to circumvent the NCAA member-created process that every school agrees to participate in as part of their responsibility to each other.

2. Further, there is a troubling trend of misstating facts about the infractions process by schools that disagree with the infractions outcomes.

If either of these statements are incorrect, I would hope OSU would issue a strongly worded statement denouncing the NCAA statements.
#1 is because Boynton said that schools shouldn't cooperate with NCAA investigations. I also think Weiberg said something to the affect that if they knew what they knew now they wouldn't have been so forthcoming with the investigators.

Jun 20, 2013
Complete joke. They didn’t like that MB called out the clear double standard between the other teams that didn’t cooperate and only got a Mutumbo style finger wagging, and us who cooperated and got thumped.

Also they didn’t call out a SINGULAR incorrect thing we said, they just said that it’s a troubling trend. I don’t expect us to take this letter quietly. We haven’t done it with anything else so far.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
#1 is because Boynton said that schools shouldn't cooperate with NCAA investigations. I also think Weiberg said something to the affect that if they knew what they knew now they wouldn't have been so forthcoming with the investigators.
I see now. The NCAA said "Oklahoma State personnel encouraged individuals to circumvent the NCAA member-created process that every school agrees to participate in as part of their responsibility to each other.

But I think the NCAA is mischaracterizing Boynton's comments. In no way did Boynton suggest other schools "circumvent the process".

“So the message is clear. Because we had one $300 violation, no failure to monitor, no lack of institutional control, no recruiting violations, no head coach responsibility, no players playing ineligible. So if you got some of those things going on, don’t do what we did. What we did was we asked them, that we worked with them through this process.

“On Jan. 20, 2020, I flew to Atlanta to do the first round of this process with the NCAA. The next day we played OU here. It was important that I be there. Went to Atlanta for no reason to cooperate with them, to cooperate with Jon Duncan and Sherika Montgomery and Russell Register. And then this year, on Feb. 7, while in Lawrence, Kansas, for a game, the day we played, we had an appeal hearing. And we cooperated. And we showed up. And we answered their questions. And we provided all the information they asked.So if you are one of those other schools, be careful what they ask you for.

and/or Weibergs comments:

“I hope that we never have to go through anything like this again, obviously, but if we do, we will do things differently.”

StatePoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 29, 2005
I hope we keep naming them all individually and pointing out the inconsistencies after every game this year.

There's sure as hell nothing to lose, LOL.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I see now. The NCAA said "Oklahoma State personnel encouraged individuals to circumvent the NCAA member-created process that every school agrees to participate in as part of their responsibility to each other.

But I think the NCAA is mischaracterizing Boynton's comments. In no way did Boynton suggest other schools "circumvent the process".

“So the message is clear. Because we had one $300 violation, no failure to monitor, no lack of institutional control, no recruiting violations, no head coach responsibility, no players playing ineligible. So if you got some of those things going on, don’t do what we did. What we did was we asked them, that we worked with them through this process.

“On Jan. 20, 2020, I flew to Atlanta to do the first round of this process with the NCAA. The next day we played OU here. It was important that I be there. Went to Atlanta for no reason to cooperate with them, to cooperate with Jon Duncan and Sherika Montgomery and Russell Register. And then this year, on Feb. 7, while in Lawrence, Kansas, for a game, the day we played, we had an appeal hearing. And we cooperated. And we showed up. And we answered their questions. And we provided all the information they asked.So if you are one of those other schools, be careful what they ask you for.

“I hope that we never have to go through anything like this again, obviously, but if we do, we will do things differently.”
MB absolutely suggested that other schools not cooperate with the NCAA and based on the facts up to this point, he was right to do so. If the NCAA doesn't like that, they could show, through their actions, that cooperating has benefits.....but quite the contrary, they have proven several times that NOT cooperating provides the most benefit. We learned that the hard way.

Dec 21, 2008
MB should put all those cowards names on the players warm up shirts I really hope we don’t let this slide. Their comments have attacked our brand and our reputation and our integrity. It needs to be stopped so recruits don’t see the wrath we could create

Dec 2, 2008
SC
He

November 12, 2021
NCAA Statement
Comments by Oklahoma State personnel regarding its infractions case resulted in NCAA volunteer committee members and staff receiving threatening and offensive messages after being identified by name. This is unacceptable.

Oklahoma State personnel encouraged individuals to circumvent the NCAA member-created process that every school agrees to participate in as part of their responsibility to each other. Further, there is a troubling trend of misstating facts about the infractions process by schools that disagree with the infractions outcomes. Each member has the ability to seek change to the Division I infractions process, and there is a review group underway looking at how to improve the process.

This is also a clear example of the work that needs to be done to address issues and behaviors like this moving forward with the new NCAA Constitution and Division I Transformation process. We know that an adverse decision can be emotional, but personal attacks against individuals simply carrying out their responsibilities are inappropriate, unethical and potentially dangerous.

Jere Morehead, NCAA Division I Board of Directors chair and president at Georgia
Media Contact
Michelle Brutlag Hosick
mhosick@ncaa.org

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

How did that work out for James Madison?

“It’s a policy that we have as a conference, and it was a decision made by the board of directors to adhere to the policy and the bylaws of the conference and enforce those going forward,” D’Antonio (CAA commissioner Joe D’Antonio) said. “There’s precedent for it. This happened when other schools have left, and all our institutions are aware that this is a bylaw that exists.”

How did James Madison respond?

“It is hard being a college student right now, with COVID and isolation and all the challenges they have to endure. For them to bring on more anxiety, more stress, more problems, it just seems tone deaf.”

Men’s basketball coach Mark Byington told the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“In an era when the industry of college athletics stresses student-athlete welfare, this decision is completely contrary to those ideals.”

JMU president Jonathan Alger

Jonathan Alger was involved in the decision against OSU.

I guess Alger didn't appreciate having his own comments read back to him......

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

MB absolutely suggested that other schools not cooperate with the NCAA and based on the facts up to this point, he was right to do so. If the NCAA doesn't like that, they could show, through their actions, that cooperating has benefits.....but quite the contrary, they have proven several times that NOT cooperating provides the most benefit. We learned that the hard way.
Not cooperate does not equal circumvent the process.

I think it’s clear that the level of participation in the process was above and beyond what other institutions have done. KU for instance is fighting the allegations. I don’t think Boynton was suggesting other institutions don’t cooperate, I think he’s saying don’t admit guilt and then hand them the gun to execute you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2011

November 12, 2021
NCAA Statement

Media Contact
Michelle Brutlag Hosick
mhosick@ncaa.org
It seems they got their attention. Mission accomplished.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
If this is all true.....

Oklahoma State said it's believed to be the first time a school has received a postseason ban despite no violations in the areas of institutional control, failure to monitor, recruiting, head coach accountability, participation of an ineligible athlete or academic fraud.

"It was a single NCAA violation. One player received $300. One player. Not a recruit. Not a future recruit. Not a family member. One current player received $300. And in and of itself, because it was self-reported by us, it's a secondary violation. So the punishment is you pay the money back, serve your suspension -- which the kid did -- and you move on.

Here is what South Carolina got....
  • Two years of probation.
  • A $5,000 fine (self-imposed by the university).
  • A reduction of men’s basketball official visits to 25 during the 2020-21/2021-22 rolling two-year period (self-imposed by the university).
  • A prohibition of unofficial visits in men’s basketball for a total of four weeks during the fall of 2021 and/or 2022 (self-imposed by the university).
  • A prohibition of men’s basketball telephone recruiting for a six-week period during the 2020-21 and/or 2021-22 academic years (self-imposed by the university).
  • A reduction in the number of men’s basketball recruiting person days by 17 during the 2020-21 and/or 2021-22 academic years (self-imposed by the university).
No post season ban and considered a level 1 infraction....

While Lamont Evans was at South Carolina....

2015: According to court documents, Lamont Evans began communication with Christian Dawkins and a cooperating witness. Dawkins tells the cooperating witness that Evans is willing to receive bribes in exchange for steering athletes to the witness’s services, according to the court documents. Court documents also state that Dawkins was an employee of a sports management company.

On or around March 3, 2016: Evans, Dawkins and Munish Snood meet in South Carolina to discuss a player Evans could steer toward services of Snood and a cooperating witness.

Lamont Evans was credited with being responsible for South Carolina's run to the Final Four.

Last edited:

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Statement by the NCAA...

"We know that an adverse decision can be emotional, but personal attacks against individuals simply carrying out their responsibilities are inappropriate, unethical and potentially dangerous."

Dear NCAA, please expand on leveling penalties against student athletes who have committed no infractions or crimes but are simply carrying out their responsibilities as student athletes? Student athletes see this as a personal attack on their student athlete experience and for most of America this seems to be inappropriate and unethical.

Sep 2, 2014

November 12, 2021
NCAA Statement
So in ncaa’s initial press release upholding the penalty the last paragraph lists the names, their universities, and their positions at those universities…but Boynton is the one they credited with “identifying” them??

these people are bigger buffoons than I gave them credit for