My E-Mail to Matt Hayes

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

DallasOSUCowboys34

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Enjoy.....I will let everyone know if I get a response.

Subject: Preseason Predictions from Matt Hayes

Matt,

Just wanted to reach out to you to see if Mike Leach was still a viable candidate to replace Mike Gundy at the end of the season? I stumbled across some of your pre-season predictions and figured I would ask.

8 predictions from Matt Hayes
1. Consider this scenario: Texas beats Oklahoma, Nebraska beats Texas, and the Longhorns get revenge on the Huskers in the Big 12 championship game. Then OU jumps Nebraska for the league’s second BCS bid, thanks to a tougher schedule. And the Huskers wind up in the Cotton Bowl.

2. Speedy Colorado receiver Toney Clemons, a Michigan transfer, will lead the Big 12 in yards per catch and energize an offense that will get the Buffs back in the postseason.

3. K-State’s Daniel Thomas will lead the nation in rushing and be the first running back picked in the 2011 NFL draft.

4. Oklahoma State will finish last in the South, and coach Mike Gundy will be forced out. Next in line in Stillwater: former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach.

5. When Baylor coach Art Briles and quarterback Robert Griffin—the game’s most exciting player—lead the Bears to the postseason for the first time since 1994, Briles will be a hot commodity for major BCS schools looking for a coach.

6. Oklahoma’s recent string of dominant interior defensive linemen will continue with sophomore Jamarkus McFarland, a 6-2, 293-pound combination of run stuffer and pass rusher.

7. After two months of learning and adjusting to Big 12 defenses, Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert will get hot in November— against a relatively soft homestretch: at Kansas State, Oklahoma State, then Florida Atlantic and Texas A&M at home.

8. Texas A&M’s quick start will end with three losses in November: at Baylor, at home against Nebraska and at Texas.

Jul 27, 2006
Tulsa, OK
1. Consider this scenario: Texas beats Oklahoma, Nebraska beats Texas, and the Longhorns get revenge on the Huskers in the Big 12 championship game. Then OU jumps Nebraska for the league’s second BCS bid, thanks to a tougher schedule. And the Huskers wind up in the Cotton Bowl.
Pretty much backwards in this one.

2. Speedy Colorado receiver Toney Clemons, a Michigan transfer, will lead the Big 12 in yards per catch and energize an offense that will get the Buffs back in the postseason.
Clemons has 36 catches for 371 yards and a TD. Missed this one by a bit.

3. K-State’s Daniel Thomas will lead the nation in rushing and be the first running back picked in the 2011 NFL draft.
DT won't even lead the conference in rushing.

4. Oklahoma State will finish last in the South, and coach Mike Gundy will be forced out. Next in line in Stillwater: former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach.
ha

5. When Baylor coach Art Briles and quarterback Robert Griffin—the game’s most exciting player—lead the Bears to the postseason for the first time since 1994, Briles will be a hot commodity for major BCS schools looking for a coach.
Hey, got one!

6. Oklahoma’s recent string of dominant interior defensive linemen will continue with sophomore Jamarkus McFarland, a 6-2, 293-pound combination of run stuffer and pass rusher.
OU's weakest spot on D is @ DT.

7. After two months of learning and adjusting to Big 12 defenses, Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert will get hot in November— against a relatively soft homestretch: at Kansas State, Oklahoma State, then Florida Atlantic and Texas A&M at home.
Gilbert's hot November is off to a rousing start. 32/59 for 272 with a TD and 5 picks.

8. Texas A&M’s quick start will end with three losses in November: at Baylor, at home against Nebraska and at Texas.
So far, A&M is 1-0 with a top-10 win in November.

stonewallpoke

Herald of the House of Soju
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Fort Riley, KS
Pretty much backwards in this one.

Clemons has 36 catches for 371 yards and a TD. Missed this one by a bit.

DT won't even lead the conference in rushing.

ha

Hey, got one!

OU's weakest spot on D is @ DT.

Gilbert's hot November is off to a rousing start. 32/59 for 272 with a TD and 5 picks.

So far, A&M is 1-0 with a top-10 win in November.
The man was a freakin' seer. I guess he HERP'd so hard he DERP'd.

for_petes_sake

Congrats Big 12 Champs
Feb 6, 2008
Originally Posted by Matt Hayes
QUOTE]

I like this since gilbert is expected to be Benched.

Minarets

Orange Bred
Sep 20, 2006
Owasso
Damn, I was hoping you would have a reply in hand. I know a lot of these writers pull stuff out of thin air for preseason predictions, but the ones posted today have been comically bad.

DallasOSUCowboys34

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
If your going to make a bold prediction like that you better be ready to take the heat if it doesn't pan out.

The fact of the matter is we could've gone 5-7 this season and Gundy still wouldn't have been fired. That's why he gets an E-mail from me because he's stupid.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Stay classy guys. By calling somebody out, it won't look favorably come if they can vote in a poll.
1. If AP voters cared what fans emailed them that much then they don't deserve a vote.

2. The AP poll plays no part in the BCS equation so I really couldn't care less if he did get his panties in a bunch. Maybe next time he should try doing a bit more research before making such ridiculous predictions.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
As funny as this prediction article is, his other one that keys in specifically on OSU is even worse.

The best part may be that in this thread's article he says Gundy will lose his job and in the other article he says Gundy will keep his job despite the bad year OSU will have.

Dark Horse

Some say...
A/V Subscriber
Sep 7, 2007
Dunsfold Park
misterdarkhorse.tumblr.com
My first thought was "Who is Matt Hayes?" but then seeing his preposterously long list failed predictions, the answer is quite obvious. He's the Most Interestingly Wrong Man in the World.

• He's been known to interpret the "Slow Children Playing" street signs to be an insult to the nation's education system.
  • He believes a "leap year" is a term used by track athletes to identify periods where the Earth's gravitational field is lower and more conducive to high hurdles.
  • He's confident that those Geico lizard commercials would make a great motion picture.
  • Ask him what the highest number in the universe is, and he'll tell you it's the color mauve.
  • He still thinks Jerry Jones hiring Wade Phillips was a terrific idea.
  • He once made a judgment on a team after looking at their performance instead of relying on past reputation, just to see what it felt like.
  • There are no wrong answers to existential questions. Except his.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
My first thought was "Who is Matt Hayes?" but then seeing his preposterously long list failed predictions, the answer is quite obvious. He's the Most Interestingly Wrong Man in the World.

• He's been known to interpret the "Slow Children Playing" street signs to be an insult to the nation's education system.
  • He believes a "leap year" is a term used by track athletes to identify periods where the Earth's gravitational field is lower and more conducive to high hurdles.
  • He's confident that those Geico lizard commercials would make a great motion picture.
  • Ask him what the highest number in the universe is, and he'll tell you it's the color mauve.
  • He still thinks Jerry Jones hiring Wade Phillips was a terrific idea.
  • He once made a judgment on a team after looking at their performance instead of relying on past reputation, just to see what it felt like.
  • There are no wrong answers to existential questions. Except his.
My pants just got tighter.

I got a reply and he was actually pretty decent about it:

I got No.6 right. 1 out of 8 isn’t bad.

And I could still get No.8 right.

Other than that, pretty poor job.
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:48:18 -0600
To: "Mhayes@Sportingnews. Com" <mhayes@sportingnews.com>
Subject: Could you have been more wrong?

In virtually any other job, you'd be fired. Could you have been more wrong?

Can you "man up" and admit how wrong you were or are you too lame?

NMcowboy

Its like old Mexico...but newer!
Feb 7, 2007
Wichita, KS

Wow man! Talk about BRUTAL!!! Why don't you ask him if you can kick his puppy and piss on his toothbrush while you're at it! :eek:

Nov 16, 2004
Moore

He was even wrong about which one he got right.