MonkeyPox

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
With Covid sucking up most of the coverage (for obvious reasons), MonkeyPox is spreading. Albeit not at the rate of Covid, mainly due to the fact that it isnt airborne yet. Though there are reports it is so not sure what to believe. The main group getting this is the gay community much to the lamentations of the main stream media who are afraid to report this. In their defense of everything gay, they are condemning likely hundreds, even thousands, of unknowning gay men to extremely painful symptoms and for some even death. You would think they would be "following the science" and trying to save as many lives as possible, but alas the narrative trumps all.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I don't know what media you're focused on, but just about every report about the spread of monkeypox I've read or heard has mentioned it's prevalence primarily in the male gay community and transmission likely requiring close physical contact and exchange of bodily fluids. *shoulder shrug*

Apr 7, 2006
It is interesting that "stop having casual s**" isn't an acceptable answer to the gay community now, but shutting down the world and putting cloth over your face was a good answer 2 years ago.

Mar 11, 2006
Not a comment about monkey pox, but just showcasing some tremendous hypocrisy.

This CA state Senator has a long history of complaining about people not wearing masks. And he made a huge campaign of getting upset with people for daring to visit beaches during COVID.

https://twitter.com/scott_wiener/status/1552671476876120064?s=21&t=F2FrsHZr1sDSx9RQ8ydf4w

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
I read somewhere that the monkey pox vaccine is either based on the smallpox vaccine or the same vaccine--does that mean that those of us old enough to have the vaccine scar on our arm are protected?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
No surprise there. It reflects how much Oklahoma feels great, great hatred and resentment against homosexuals. Still, though, how is it in a hateful state's best interest to risk having more people come down sick with Monkeypox no matter who may get it?
I would have thought that, too, but I have also lived in Arkansas. Ain't no better.

Bigger difference is the governor. Hutchison is quite different from Stitt.

Mar 11, 2006
No surprise there. It reflects how much Oklahoma feels great, great hatred and resentment against homosexuals. Still, though, how is it in a hateful state's best interest to risk having more people come down sick with Monkeypox no matter who may get it? It's not.
You know much different Oklahoma people than I do.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I read somewhere that the monkey pox vaccine is either based on the smallpox vaccine or the same vaccine--does that mean that those of us old enough to have the vaccine scar on our arm are protected?
Glad you brought that up because I saw a related news report earlier last week and one of the video images of a physician speaking also showed a couple of vials with “Smallpox” on the label and it made me wonder what that was about.

Apr 7, 2006
It's interesting to contrast how we have wrecked all manner of things to stop the spread of COVID vs monkeypox where public health officials can't even tell people to stop participating in high-risk activities like casual and group s*x. They didn't even cancel a local LGBTQ fetish festival in San Francisco- because that's just too far </sarcasm>.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/07...ahead-amid-anxiety-uncertainty-over-monkeypox

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It's interesting to contrast how we have wrecked all manner of things to stop the spread of COVID vs monkeypox where public health officials can't even tell people to stop participating in high-risk activities like casual and group s*x. They didn't even cancel a local LGBTQ fetish festival in San Francisco- because that's just too far </sarcasm>.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/07...ahead-amid-anxiety-uncertainty-over-monkeypox
Covid epidemic at 3.5 months had about 1100 deaths per day in the US.
Covid at 3.5 months- no treatment, no vaccine.
Monkeypox at 3.5 months has had 0 deaths in total.
Monkeypox has a treatment and a vaccine.

Monkeypox is spread by close contact. COVID is spread by aerosol.
Fill us in, are you saying that "wrecking" all matter of things to stop a deadly, easy-to-spread virus was bad or are you saying that we should go ahead and wreck activities for a virus that is not spread by these normal activities and not very deadly? Or, are you just trying to hate on gay people?

Sorry, your post just isn't very clear with such an odd comparison of completely divergent public health issues.