Minnesota football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
Sounds like a female student accused several players of raping her, resulting in an immediate suspension of 10 players by the school's Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office.

Seems like the grievance from the players boycotting is that they don't think the university did its due diligence before issuing the punishment. I guess maybe with the social climate being what it is, UM didn't have much of a choice but to shoot first and ask questions later, and even though I'm walking a fine line in sounding like I'm being flippant of what could be a very legitimate concern, does seem like they sort of have a point. Guess it's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't though if you're UM. On one hand, you run the risk of looking like a Baylor, and on the other, you run the risk of wrongfully incriminating 10 players.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
I thought the original complaint was against 3 players and wasn't followed up on by the alleged victim at the time. I'm not sure how the number swelled to 10 but at first blush it looks like the shotgun effect in an attempt to get all involved. If there's no evidence available it seems irresponsible to possibly ruin the reputation of innocent individuals. Justice has to be served here but only the guilty should suffer consequences. It's a fine line issue.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
Just got word that the UM players have voted to end their boycott and play in the Holiday Bowl. I'm not sure what happened and I'm not 100% sure we've seen the last of it.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
I've not read it but if it's disgusting, as you say, it's no wonder the players backed down. Have we seen the last of this?

Mar 23, 2013
I've not read it but if it's disgusting, as you say, it's no wonder the players backed down. Have we seen the last of this?[/QUOTE
I think there will be more to come from this. Although the female student was unclear on some actions during the night in question, they have pieced together a lot of what is being reported. It has taken some time to interview witnesses.