Mike Gundy Non-Conference Record..

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Gundy non-conference record…

While Mike Gundy has been Head Coach, OSU has played 51 regular season nonconference games. Overall Record is 44-7 (86%)
(EDIT: I initially included Bowl games in the total number. Corrected to just be regular season)

Of those 51 games, 34 were played in Stillwater.
  • Overall Record is 32-2 (94%)
  • Wins included Georgia, Arizona, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boise St, Tulsa four times, and 12 wins over “non-major” opponents (Missouri St, Lamar, Savanah St, etc).
  • Losses were Houston (’09) and Central Michigan (’16)

A 94% home non-conference winning percentage is pretty impressive.

While any gameday Saturday in Stillwater is a good day, I must say I am looking forward to some of the upcoming nonconference opponents scheduled to be coming to Stillwater:

* Arizona St this year.
* Arkansas ('24)
* Oregon ('26)
* Alabama ('28)

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

While Mike Gundy has been Head Coach, OSU has played 66 nonconference regular season games. Overall Record is 59-7 (89%)

Of those 66 games, 34 were played in Stillwater.
  • Wins included Georgia, Arizona, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boise St, Tulsa four times, and 12 wins over “non-major” opponents (Missouri St, Lamar, Savanah St, etc).

Using your numbers, 27-5 on the road is perhaps even more impressive, because those were vs. some of the better non-con opponents (home-and-homes).

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Using your numbers, 27-5 on the road is perhaps even more impressive, because those were vs. some of the better non-con opponents (home-and-homes).
I was off on my math a bit, so our road record would be 12-5 (excluding Bowls) under Gundy. Still, an impressive 71% on the road. Included wins over Mississippi St, Pittsburgh, Oregon St, Washington St, and Boise St. Not bad...

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
In a related statistic, Coach Gundy has only faced four top 25 opponents during the non-conference in his 17 year career. He went 2-2 in those game.

What these statistics show are that Coach Gundy schedules light during the non-conference, but he doesn't lose many games that he's supposed to win.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
In a related statistic, Coach Gundy has only faced four top 25 opponents during the non-conference in his 17 year career. He went 2-2 in those game.

What these statistics show are that Coach Gundy schedules light during the non-conference, but he doesn't lose many games that he's supposed to win.
After that absolute screw job in 2014 against the defending National champ Florida State Seminoles by PAC 12 refs, I don’t blame Gundy for scheduling light

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Sort of agree there has been some light scheduling....

I kinda wish we'd get past the "non-majors" but sometimes that's necessary to fill slots. I like a game against a American/CUSA/MAC/Sun Belt type opponent each season. I'm fine with that being Tulsa most years.

But in the past, credible games/home-and-home series were with:
* Georgia ('07/'09)
* Wash St ('08/'10)
* Arizona ('11/'12)
* Mississippi St ('13)
* Florida St ('14)
* Pittsburgh ('16/'17)
* Boise St ('18/'21)
* Oregon St ('19)
(We went 10-3 in these games)

Future Series include:
* Arizona St
* Arkansas
* Oregon
* Alabama

So I think we've done a reasonable job at non-conference scheduling in recent years. We've just won most of the games.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
My philosophy is never schedule anyone you are an underdog to. Under no circumstances is a loss against a good team better than a win against a mediocre team.
How many teams are we underdogs to in Stillwater I wonder.

The last 10 years have been so special, I can think of Bama, Georgia, Clemson(maybe), UO (maybe), Michigan (maybe), Ohio State, Oregon (maybe) Baylor (maybe).

Interesting. 3 teams for sure.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net

While Mike Gundy has been Head Coach, OSU has played 51 regular season nonconference games. Overall Record is 44-7 (86%)
(EDIT: I initially included Bowl games in the total number. Corrected to just be regular season)

Of those 51 games, 34 were played in Stillwater.

While any gameday Saturday in Stillwater is a good day, I must say I am looking forward to some of the upcoming nonconference opponents scheduled to be coming to Stillwater:

* Arizona St this year.
* Arkansas ('24)
* Oregon ('26)
* Alabama ('28)
And our actual true record of 33-1 is even more impressive. That Central Michigan loss was pure BS!

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Said another way....

Overall Records by Gundy against:

Big-10 = 2-0 (100%) With wins over Purdue, Indiana.
Pac-12 =8-2 (80%) With wins over Stanford, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Org St, Wash St,
ACC = 4-1 (80%) With wins over Miami, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
SEC = 4-5 (44.4%) With wins over Alabama, Georgia, Miss St, Missouri
Overall = 18-8 (69.25%)
(includes Bowl results)

Impressive...!