Mike Boynton Extension

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
State of OSU athletics. You knew people were going to whine if we extended Coach. Same people would be whining if we had let him walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's not the same people but it was interesting to see. Middle of the year, people were barking to get rid of Boynton. End of the year run, different group was panicking that he would be off to South Carolina or a Blue Blood. I think it's the message board way.

The other group are the people down the middle, and they get ridiculed by both the two separate groups mentioned above.
I have a friend that wanted Boynton fired mid year, or after the season. Then Boynton was great and it's nice to see b-ball be great again. Then it's, Boynton can't coach, gotta get rid of him and let some other school have him. And finally it was, "wow, great contract. Just about perfect. Glad we paid him rather than let him walk."
Lol. That's just a single person.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
If that was your takeaway from the season you’re an even bigger idiot than your posting history indicates.
Lol, "I don't agree with someone, so lets call them names!" If you are satisfied with that place and that finish then why are you trying to convince someone else that they should be satisfied as well??

Sep 23, 2010
I have a friend that wanted Boynton fired mid year, or after the season. Then Boynton was great and it's nice to see b-ball be great again. Then it's, Boynton can't coach, gotta get rid of him and let some other school have him. And finally it was, "wow, great contact. Just about perfect. Glad we paid him rather than let him walk."

God bless his wife

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
You're feeding a troll.
Aww...everybody must agree with you or they are a troll...ok, be happy with mediocrity then.
Ok, I'll bite.

What were your expectations for the season? What would you have liked Holder and Weiberg to do? No extension or raise? Let Boynton walk and hire our 4th head coach in ten years, in the middle of a pandemic, with NCAA sanctions hanging over the program?

You keep coming into these threads and repeating yourself without offering any real substance. That's why people call you a troll.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You're feeding a troll.
Aww...everybody must agree with you or they are a troll...ok, be happy with mediocrity then.
Ok, I'll bite.

What were your expectations for the season? What would you have liked Holder and Weiberg to do? No extension or raise? Let Boynton walk and hire our 4th head coach in ten years, in the middle of a pandemic, with NCAA sanctions hanging over the program?

You keep coming into these threads and repeating yourself without offering any real substance. That's why people call you a troll.

It's the textbook definition of a troll. Run in with a quick hot take, no substance, no discussion. Then argue when people call you out.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
My first exposure to basketball wasn’t in middle or high school, it was at OSU. It also happened by sheer happenstance that the exposure was to Eddie Sutton and Bill Teegins. I knew it was special then I just didn’t know how special.

Ever since then, my feelings have declined. And declined. I happened to be driving by Phil Forte’s house when Ford was walking in for a family meeting. That gave me a boost. I met Marcus Smart multiple times his senior year at Marcus High School. I enjoyed his character immensely. Those times brought back a little magic. Underwood’s first year did too. Followed by another fall.

I wear OSU on my person daily. I’ve got it tattooed on me. I love what the university did for me, my future and my family. Sports come in around the middle of the pack in my OSU interests, that said, I LOVE THE HIRE AND WE GOT THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE RIGHT JOB. Finally.

Dec 9, 2013
I have a friend that wanted Boynton fired mid year, or after the season. Then Boynton was great and it's nice to see b-ball be great again. Then it's, Boynton can't coach, gotta get rid of him and let some other school have him. And finally it was, "wow, great contract. Just about perfect. Glad we paid him rather than let him walk."

I was one who thought it best for OSU to move on a few games into conference play. I still think he makes avoidable mistakes but recognize he’s a first time young head coach that I want to get better and hope ihe gets better at OSU. 5th place finishes are not what we should want and next year looks to be another mid of the pack year. But OSU had no choice but to pay up and extend. Letting him go at this point could have set the program way back.

Jun 20, 2013
Ok, I'll bite.

This is exactly my thinking. If Boynton walks, our program is set back 5 years, and officially becomes a stepping stone job. No coach worth their salt is walking into the potential mess we have to coach against the stout coaches in the big12, with the perception that we won't pay anyone more than $2Mil.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I was one who thought it best for OSU to move on a few games into conference play. I still think he makes avoidable mistakes but recognize he’s a first time young head coach that I want to get better and hope ihe gets better at OSU. 5th place finishes are not what we should want and next year looks to be another mid of the pack year. But OSU had no choice but to pay up and extend. Letting him go at this point could have set the program way back.
Great points. Certainly looks like one of those “signs pointing everywhere” that it’s meant to be. Good signs.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
It's the textbook definition of a troll. Run in with a quick hot take, no substance, no discussion. Then grow when people call you out.

I'm not "grow"ing...Call me out for what, wanting to be better than 5th place with a second round exit with the #1 player in college, if that's what a troll is then sign me up!! Everybody was excited when TF won a first round tournament game also (probably you I'm sure)...how many after that??

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Ok, I'll bite.

No, I'm good with giving him a raise but I think 7 years is too long. You really think he maximized having CC?? C'mon... He recruits players he has to kick off way too much, what is the highest he has finished in the league?? What is his overall conference record?? Call me a troll if you want, but you people thinking he all of a sudden became a great coach are crazy, but time will tell.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It's the textbook definition of a troll. Run in with a quick hot take, no substance, no discussion. Then grow when people call you out.

I'm not "grow"ing...Call me out for what, wanting to be better than 5th place with a second round exit with the #1 player in college, if that's what a troll is then sign me up!! Everybody was excited when TF won a first round tournament game also (probably you I'm sure)...how many after that??
I edited my comment it was supposed to be argue not grow. As for you, you fit the definition. You make your little comments and then run away you don't back up anything you don't discuss.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
I edited my comment it was supposed to be argue not grow. As for you, you fit the definition. You make your little comments and then run away you don't back up anything you don't discuss.

"Little" are they little cause you don't agree with them?? Typical...

Sep 23, 2010
No, I'm good with giving him a raise but I think 7 years is too long. You really think he maximized having CC?? C'mon... He recruits players he has to kick off way too much, what is the highest he has finished in the league?? What is his overall conference record?? Call me a troll if you want, but you people thinking he all of a sudden became a great coach are crazy, but time will tell.
I don't think osumason is completely off base with his concerns here. The circumstances kind of dictated we give him an extension. The length of the extension is irrelevant compared to the buyout as discussed here previously. We had to give him time as well with the impending NCAA sanctions.

I will say this about guys he had to kickoff. Most of them were his first group of players he recruited in which he didn't have multiple years to build relationships and judge character. We were grabbing guys in summer time or only after half a year to year of relationship building. Watson is the only one I would say that I was most disappointed in. Weathers, you have to believe Boynton was counting on Cooper for character eval. The others were midnight pickups. Ice and Yor were solid pick ups. The next class has been solid kids character and basketball wise. Then Cade and Rondell have been good as well along with many of the transfers.

I agree more with your overall conference record remarks and only finishing 5th this year (even though the league was very good). My only thing would be we have been improving and it's obvious he's building something. The TCU and Oregon State games are really tough to swallow this year. But Boynton clearly has us at the right trajectory. I found it laughable that some thought a "blue blood" would be coming for him with his record he has here. If we return everyone it looks like we will and we add a solid transfer or two, I could see us finishing fourth or so in the league next year with not as talented of a team.

But under the circumstances, we had to pay the man and we didn't break the bank. Also, I agree Boynton is not "proven" yet either. But I thinking he's showing signs he's heading the right direction.

Aug 31, 2016
Wichita,Ks
I don't think osumason is completely off base with his concerns here. The circumstances kind of dictated we give him an extension. The length of the extension is irrelevant compared to the buyout as discussed here previously. We had to give him time as well with the impending NCAA sanctions.

I will say this about guys he had to kickoff. Most of them were his first group of players he recruited in which he didn't have multiple years to build relationships and judge character. We were grabbing guys in summer time or only after half a year to year of relationship building. Watson is the only one I would say that I was most disappointed in. Weathers, you have to believe Boynton was counting on Cooper for character eval. The others were midnight pickups. Ice and Yor were solid pick ups. The next class has been solid kids character and basketball wise. Then Cade and Rondell have been good as well along with many of the transfers.

I agree more with your overall conference record remarks and only finishing 5th this year (even though the league was very good). My only thing would be we have been improving and it's obvious he's building something. The TCU and Oregon State games are really tough to swallow this year. But Boynton clearly has us at the right trajectory. I found it laughable that some thought a "blue blood" would be coming for him with his record he has here. If we return everyone it looks like we will and we add a solid transfer or two, I could see us finishing fourth or so in the league next year with not as talented of a team.

But under the circumstances, we had to pay the man and we didn't break the bank. Also, I agree Boynton is not "proven" yet either. But I thinking he's showing signs he's heading the right direction.

Call me crazy but I think if Boynton adds a few really good transfers or new recruits combined with huge improvements from MAM and Walker similar to AA. I think the boys could do even better next year but that's only with all of that happening.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2010
Call me crazy but I think if Boynton adds a few really good transfers or new recruits combined with huge improvements from MAM and Anderson I think the boys could do even better next year but that's only with all of that happening.
League will be down for sure which is why I said fourth is in play. Maybe better if MAM and Rondell make similar strides as AA did. Boone twins can keep improving as well.

We know Kansas will be good. Baylor should not be as good but still pretty darn good if they can keep some of that core and some guards.West Virginia will be solid. Tech is now in trouble. Texas will have lost a lot but who knows with the portal what Beard can do there. K State will be much improved. OU will drop a notch unless new guy works some portal magic. TCU will be about the same. Iowa State will be bad I think