Mike Boynton Extension

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1376571099648036872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1376571099648036872%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html1376571099648036872

Someone posted this in another thread but felt like it needed it’s own. Well deserved and glad they didn’t make it 10. Could you imagine the PTSD?

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1376571099648036872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1376571099648036872%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html1376571099648036872

Someone posted this in another thread but felt like it needed it’s own. Well deserved and glad they didn’t make it 10. Could you imagine the PTSD?
Wow can't believe he signed for long term. Figured it would be a short term deal. I guess he really likes it here. Now let's get it going again next year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Coach Underwood wanted a 6 year $18 million contract after 1 year of success and we passed.

Coach Boynton wanted a 7 year $21 million contract after 1 year of success and we accepted.

I may get ripped for saying this, but I don't like the contract. He definitely deserved the raise, but 7 years is a long time to be tied to a coach prior to having sustained success. We're going to be in a world of hurt if we fall back down to an NIT level without Cade Cunningham. I certainly hope my fears are unwarranted though, because I want to see Coach Boynton and this program have sustained success as much as anyone.

We just placed a bet with a significant amount of risk. I hope it pays off.

Congrats Coach Boynton, and Go Pokes!

Dec 17, 2011
Coach Underwood wanted a 6 year $18 million contract after 1 year of success and we passed.

Coach Boynton wanted a 7 year $21 million contract after 1 year of success and we accepted.

I may get ripped for saying this, but I don't like the contract. He definitely deserved the raise, but 7 years is a long time to be tied to a coach prior to having sustained success. We're going to be in a world of hurt if we fall back down to an NIT level without Cade Cunningham. I certainly hope my fears are unwarranted though, because I want to see Coach Boynton and this program have sustained success as much as anyone.

Underwood didn't have a success year like Boynton. Those players were not his that took then to the tournament, he did not win the first game in the tournament. Boynton has had to climb mountains to even get to what we had this year. No recruits, kicking players off the team, redoing coaching staff, the scandal. No coach would've taken this job. He took the job, we took a risk on that, but he has done more than enough to earn this.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Underwood didn't have a success year like Boynton. Those players were not his that took then to the tournament, he did not win the first game in the tournament. Boynton has had to climb mountains to even get to what we had this year. No recruits, kicking players off the team, redoing coaching staff, the scandal. No coach would've taken this job. He took the job, we took a risk on that, but he has done more than enough to earn this.
Win or lose I love Coach Boyntons character and integrity. I’ll be proud to have him represent OSU regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dec 17, 2011
Win or lose I love Coach Boyntons character and integrity. I’ll be proud to have him represent OSU regardless.

100000% he is an inspiration for young athletes and a huge influence to college basketball. From what I heard from Fords time, the players took his practice like a joke and didn't respect him fully. Coach B has gained the trust of the players

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City

For sure. That fire he showed at the end of the season, getting extremely excited after big wins was awesome. I think young guys like that and want to be a part of it.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country

Underwood wanted his extension after one year here. Boynton has been here 4 years, so even if "success" can only be defined via the Big Dance I'm still much happier with his extension than whatever it would have taken to keep Underwood (and I'm not convinced he would have stayed at any price).

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Super happy for HCMB I’m a huge fan, but 7 years is still too long and could hamstring the program if he doesn’t work out. I would have gone with 5 years.
I wanted to see 6, but it's still in the range. He had leverage because other programs would have hired him for roughly this same contract. I wouldn't be surprised if another school would have offered him more. 3 mil is not an exceptionally high salary. If this is base pay, it gets him to 27th nationally assuming Scott Drew and Coach K make more than 3 mil and it could be even lower since private schools don't report that. I would be shocked if other schools wouldn't have paid him more. From the outside, it looks like he chose loyalty and a bit more security. That's overall good news for us.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
Also, aside from this year, how much success has underwood had at Illinois? Am I wrong in thinking that last couple of years he underachieved in regards to expectations?

I would much rather make the gamble on someone of Boyntons character than of Underwoods character

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Also, aside from this year, how much success has underwood had at Illinois? Am I wrong in thinking that last couple of years he underachieved in regards to expectations?

I would much rather make the gamble on someone of Boyntons character than of Underwoods character
The last two seasons were very good for Underwood, just no tourney last year.

Sep 23, 2010
If I'm Boynton, I'm demanding 7 years like he did if I have to stick out the NCAA sanctions that will definitely hurt us and him. With the transfer portal and new rules, you could lose your entire team to transfer real easy if a coach leaves you so I'm guessing this is why we went this far to secure him.

Now, how much of this money does he owe Cade Cunningham for his commitment? Easy to see why coaches are tempted to cheat. $21 Million dollars, wow.

Oct 30, 2007
You can't disregard the success he had prior to coming to OSU though. At SFA he won 3 straight conference championships and made 3 straight NCAA Tournaments. He tied Brad Stevens for the most wins ever in his first 3 seasons. His resume after 4 years as a head coach was better than Coach Boynton's resume is today.

I didn't mean to steer this thread into a Brad Underwood discussion. I just thought that it was interesting to see the contrast between the 2 decisions. I hope that our decision to give Coach Boynton a long term contract pays off. There's a lot of risk involved with a 7 year contract, but there's also a lot of potential reward.

Sep 23, 2010
For the Boynton detractors, how are you guys feeling about this? I know with the success down the stretch, many got quiet. But playing well last 10 games of the year can't change your mind about Boynton. Certainly, he will have to continue to earn your trust as a coach. But did he do enough to earn the extension for the folks who aren't quite on board yet?