Men's Golf

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Those in the know please let us know.

Going n 3 years, seemingly drought of clutch players. Got a lot of the buzz w/the ESPN coverage , of course w/ou - private jets and all.

Really - what is the state of the State oSu Program?

One of the only Google searches that you can put up, oSu & golf and it doesn't return The ohio state lalala

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
Ohio State owns "OSU" in media. Last good independent article I saw about the 2019 team, which was one of the best we've ever had in spite of not winning the NCAA tourney. So it hasn't been that long - we oSu fans are used to the golf team seemingly reloading and in the top 3 or 4 every year.

Golf Week Article

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2006
If you're asking whether they're any good this year, they're ranked No. 15 by the coaches and they are within the top 25 for scoring averages by GolfWeek. They also have the NCAA regionals at Stillwater this year so they're pretty heavy favorites to make it the nationals, where, if they can squeak into match play, anything can happen.

They have some pretty good players with Tour potential, including Eckroat, but no one near as good (at least yet) as the Wolff/Hovland duo. That said, they're also starting all freshmen or sophomores, except for Eckroat, so would assume that they'll be really good across the board in a couple years.

OU is really good this year and would have been last year if there was a tournament. Here's to rooting against them.

Jun 27, 2018
okc
Have we had a drop in recruiting? Looking at the bio of our players, I'm thinking most sound decent but not quite the OSU bios I would expect to see for the best program in the country.

Dec 7, 2006
Have we had a drop in recruiting? Looking at the bio of our players, I'm thinking most sound decent but not quite the OSU bios I would expect to see for the best program in the country.
I'm not sure there's a noticeable dip in recruiting as much some of the guys are still developing, and I think we can trust Alan Bratton's ability to recognize and recruit golf talent at this point. Look at some of the hometowns of the players on the roster: Germany (x2), Spain, China, Denmark, Japan, UAE, and Thailand. There's more players from outside of the U.S. than within, which is befitting for what's really a global game nowadays. But the point is that he's getting them from everywhere, suggesting that he's recruiting them specifically for a reason.

And yeah, I think Wolff was highly regarded when he stepped on campus, but Hovland was, outside of Oklahoma State, recruited by Tennessee, Texas Tech, and TCU. Not many golf powerhouses there. Independent of their pedigrees before they stepped on campus, Chacarra (sophomore), Jin (superstar recruit), and Stark (freshman) all have top 10s on the season.

I think the fact that they're ranked by the coaches in the top 15 despite starting most heavily this year two freshmen (Jin & Stark), two sophomores (Chacarra & Neergaard-Peterson), and a junior (Eckroat) with plenty of other talent waiting in the wings means that we can expect them to be strong competitors for a national championship within a couple years.