MEDIA RATINGS

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
Gundy's Rattlesnake Hunting Lease
Just be ready for the media to start talking about how the Big 12 is weak overall this year. They will never talk about parity across the conference. Every year that Texas and/or OU bow out early this happens.

I'm really excited about the rest of this season!
I hate it, but you're absolutely right.

If OU isn't it reliable self and Texas is once again not "BACK," then the conference will just get clowned on by the talking heads.

Ungh. Hate it.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
Normally Bama/Ark would not be "must see" but I bet alot of folks want to see if Bama is as good as normal (after the uT game) and if Arky is really good (i.e. previous #10 ranking).
So maybe not as cutndry as you suggest on that one.

But we should pull good numbers vs FSU/WF.

But in the end, it will depend if our game is competitive and exciting otherwise folks may "check in" but not watch.
We should kill FSU because as of this morning more than 2 million are still without power

Jan 20, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
In that case, it seems the lower the SP number the more balanced the conference is. Would that be good or bad?
I believe it's like a cumulative opponent, not your actual schedule. So your SP+ number is how you would fair on avg against all of D1 if that makes any sense. So it doesn't reflect negatively on your conference.

Then again, I don't put a ton of weight on it for my own projections as it obviously carries some blue blood/historical bias somewhere in his calculations. The current SP+ rankings are somewhat laughable.

Jan 14, 2006
Haven't seen this weekends released yet but next week will be another good test for the Big 12.

Unranked Texas vs OU on at the same time as undefeated KU vs TCU. Should be telling about where the future Big 12 stands.

Will OSU fans will watch two ranked Big 12 teams or two unranked future SEC teams?

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Haven't seen this weekends released yet but next week will be another good test for the Big 12.

Unranked Texas vs OU on at the same time as undefeated KU vs TCU. Should be telling about where the future Big 12 stands.

Will OSU fans will watch two ranked Big 12 teams or two unranked future SEC teams?
It's also ABC vs. FS1.

Jan 14, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/xvg3gt/alabamaarkansas_was_the_highestrated_game_of_week/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Well crap.

Nov 29, 2021
Amarillo Texas
I think it's a mixed bag. I don't see any reason for concern. The ratings basically show that the country follows the top 3-4 teams, regardless of conference. However, the ratings are really not a good look for OU. They lose a game at home and the next week their viewership plummets to OSU-Baylor level. This is a program that was in the playoff last year. Wonder what it will be this week? It also shows that all eyes are not on Texas: Being unranked, they come in at 40 percent of the OSU-Baylor viewers. Being Texas' flagship state university, that's pretty shocking.

I am a bit surprised at the interest in Iowa and Michigan, but again, Michigan is near the top currently.

What does Bama's viewership look like when Saban retires and the program pulls a Texas or Nebraska and they wander in the desert for 20 years? People watch the winners. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth

I don't know what OSU fans will be watching but overall, it won't even be close

Oct 19, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/xvg3gt/alabamaarkansas_was_the_highestrated_game_of_week/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Well crap.
I'm happy with these results. We had the worst timeslot of the week going against Bama and still drew a solid number. Nearly outdrew OU. Its not inconceivable to think had we not gone head to head with Bama we might have been the #4 game and we will never draw like Bama, Michigan, Ohio St, Clemson. I wish we had beaten Wake/Florida St but other than that we came in about where i expected, maybe even a little better.

We need us and TCU to win this week and Bama/Tenn to be in primetime and Mich/Penn St at 11am. That way our game next week at 2:30 is on ABC and we have the window to ourselves. That will be telling about what we can draw.

Jan 14, 2006
I appreciate the perspective from some of you. I really expected us to be much higher but what you're saying makes sense.

I'm still nervous about us in the Big 12 going forward. I just can't see KU/TCU drawing anywhere near OU/Texas even though by rankings it's a much bigger game. I know I'll probably watch OU/Texas for the train wreck factor.

Nov 29, 2021
Amarillo Texas
I appreciate the perspective from some of you. I really expected us to be much higher but what you're saying makes sense.

I'm still nervous about us in the Big 12 going forward. I just can't see KU/TCU drawing anywhere near OU/Texas even though by rankings it's a much bigger game. I know I'll probably watch OU/Texas for the train wreck factor.
There is no question that the Big 12 is going to fall way behind the Big 10 and SEC in revenues. The Big 12 will have to figure out ways to operate smarter. The discrepancy has been around for a while. If money won national championships, Texas and Notre Dame would be battling it out every year.

Jan 14, 2006
There is no question that the Big 12 is going to fall way behind the Big 10 and SEC in revenues. The Big 12 will have to figure out ways to operate smarter. The discrepancy has been around for a while. If money won national championships, Texas and Notre Dame would be battling it out every year.
I'm still holding out hope that we will jump to the BIG or SEC but from Gundy's comments about Bedlam it sounds like we're dedicated to the Big 12. All we can do is keep winning.

Oct 1, 2006
USA

Can’t compare those games due to it being FS1 vs. ABC. FS1 games have trouble drawing over 500k.

Oct 19, 2008
That's why i don't worry about trying to beat top Big 10/SEC games in ratings...its just not going to happen. I'm most concerned with beating the Pac 12 since they are in TV negotiations at the same time as us. We crushed Pac 12. We beat their top game which involved #6 USC ( a team they won't even have moving forward). That's pretty encouraging. There is a limit to how much networks will spend so we really need to be consistently beating Pac 12 especially in games that don't involve OU or Texas. Both us and TCU need to win to make that a big matchup in two weeks. Unfortunately, yet again we will be going up against Bama.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I could probably figure this out with Google, but does anyone know how these numbers are calculated? Is it IP addresses or devices (MAC addresses?)? If I have 5 Rokus tuned into the OSU game, does that matter if they're all on the same internet connection? If not, what if they're not all on the same program?

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Can’t compare those games due to it being FS1 vs. ABC. FS1 games have trouble drawing over 500k.
Thought the same thing, but they moved it to FOX. Heard Brock Huard talking about it yesterday as he'll be in Lawrence now. Apparently FOX made the decision on Sunday with their big boss saying Kansas & TCU have earned the spotlight. I love it!