MEDIA RATINGS

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 29, 2021
Amarillo Texas
I know zero about media contract negotiations, but with Texas and OU both getting beat this week, the Big 12 should have a viewership bonanza this season. It will be interesting to see how many view OSU-Baylor and some of these other matchups as the season goes on. Way more parity than any of the other conferences. Seems like a perfect storm for the Big 12 at a crucial time.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I know zero about media contract negotiations, but with Texas and OU both getting beat this week, the Big 12 should have a viewership bonanza this season. It will be interesting to see how many view OSU-Baylor and some of these other matchups as the season goes on. Way more parity than any of the other conferences. Seems like a perfect storm for the Big 12 at a crucial time.
I hope you're right, but I'm guessing the opposite. I know several "ou fans" who say they only watch the goons while they're undefeated and have a chance at a national championship. Osu, baylol, ku pick up hundreds of casual fans when we're good, ou/ut lose thousands of casual fans with each glorious, glorious loss. As much as I love it, I don't think it helps our overall tv ratings.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I hope you're right, but I'm guessing the opposite. I know several "ou fans" who say they only watch the goons while they're undefeated and have a chance at a national championship. Osu, baylol, ku pick up hundreds of casual fans when we're good, ou/ut lose thousands of casual fans with each glorious, glorious loss. As much as I love it, I don't think it helps our overall tv ratings.
Bandwagon fans gonna bandwagon.

Aug 19, 2006
I can only speak for myself. For the first time ever, I might actually watch Texas Tech and K-State play. Interested to see who's for real. Might be that way for most of the season unless someone starts running the table (Go Pokes).

Seeing a half-empty Gaylord Stadium by mid-season would be so satisfying. Please Baby Jesus let this be the year.

Last edited:

The Poke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Just be ready for the media to start talking about how the Big 12 is weak overall this year. They will never talk about parity across the conference. Every year that Texas and/or OU bow out early this happens.

I'm really excited about the rest of this season!

Jul 31, 2008
Yup, already saw an article that said something like with Wake and Pitt being good to go along with Clemson, the ACC has solidified its clear position as Conference #3.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I never understand why media outlets always say Big 12 is at its best when OU and Texas is at the top and Big 12 is down when those two are not.
It makes their jobs easier. They already know the history of the blue bloods and they know more bandwagon fans will tune in to hear them talk about it. Like everything else, it's about money.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I never understand why media outlets always say Big 12 is at its best when OU and Texas is at the top and Big 12 is down when those two are not.
Not justifying it, but I think alot of it is born out of the fact that those two are the only ones who've won it all or made the playoff. I hate it, but you've got how many teams from the SEC who've done that? Six?

Now, do they apply the same thing to the ACC, B1G or Pac12? Of course not.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I can only speak for myself. For the first time ever, I might actually watch Texas Tech and K-State play. Interested to see who's for real. Might be that way for most of the season unless someone starts running the table (Go Pokes).

Seeing a half-empty Gaylord Stadium by mid-season would be so satisfying. Please Baby Jesus let this be the year.
Their strobe lights would be even dumber.

Probably a rare thing here, but I'm an MLS fan and they've been dealing with this for a while with many stadiums (like Austin) opting for something more than just flashing the lights on and off if they're going to tinker with them after goals. It could actually be cool to turn the lights to whatever your dominant color is (imagine BPS lit up with an orange haze).

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Their strobe lights would be even dumber.

Probably a rare thing here, but I'm an MLS fan and they've been dealing with this for a while with many stadiums (like Austin) opting for something more than just flashing the lights on and off if they're going to tinker with them after goals. It could actually be cool to turn the lights to whatever your dominant color is (imagine BPS lit up with an orange haze).
I know it's a new thing and I'm old man yelling at cloud, but for god's sakes if you're going to develop policies for the Paddle People, get a damn policy in place for turning the lights on and off for the entire stadium! Had to laugh when the Kstate kicker was standing there questioning the Ref while waiting to kick off-again!:)

Nov 6, 2010
Imagine the lawsuit if you are going down the stairs, they turn off the lights, and you fall. $$$
Hm, might be worth a covert operation. Pop a couple oxys, then "accidentally" slip on some spilled beer or sooner fan vomit....Would certainly make the hospital stay more tolerable.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I know it's a new thing and I'm old man yelling at cloud, but for god's sakes if you're going to develop policies for the Paddle People, get a damn policy in place for turning the lights on and off for the entire stadium! Had to laugh when the Kstate kicker was standing there questioning the Ref while waiting to kick off-again!:)
I feel the crowd should clap with the paddle people and when the rules say the paddle people must stop, the crowd claps even louder and faster.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Yeah, turning them off entirely is just dumb and interferes with the actual game way more than some people banging paddles. I'll stick by my statement that you shouldn't be able to turn them off completely, though school colored glows could be allowed at specific times only.