McChrystal called on the oval Office carpet

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

panhandler62

Territorial Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Martinsburg, WV
White House summons US general to explain himself

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who publicly apologized Tuesday for using "poor judgment" in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine, has been ordered to attend the monthly White House meeting on Afghanistan and Pakistan in person Wednesday rather than over a secure video teleconference, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. He'll be expected to explain his comments to Obama and top Pentagon officials, these officials said.

Right or wrong; his complaints did not belong in Rolling Stone. You never air this sort of thing publicaly and he knows it. Hopefully this will just be a boot to the nads and then back to work. He should be made to feel the sting but should then be put back in place since he is being pretty effective.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly
Such honesty and integrity, from people who were not authorized to speak publicly. And a little ironic, too, that McChrystal being taken to the woodshed for speaking publicly when he ought not is leaked to the media by people who were not authorized to speak publicly. These people need to be taken to the woodshed with McChrystal.

panhandler62

Territorial Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Martinsburg, WV
These people need to be taken to the woodshed with McChrystal.
Not with him ... they don't rate that. They should be slapped upside the head with a cold trout and sent on their way (won't happen cause you know they have to be cronies.)

It wouldn't hurt Washington a bit to exercise a bit more decorum than has been the rule of late. This isn't the Buttnugget Jr. high student council; these are the leaders and staff of a giant nation in economic, foriegn relations and ecological crisis; they need to act as such.

May 27, 2010
I commend General McChrystal for it. I served over 20 years on active duty, and it take's a MAN at this level to call a spade a spade, (no pun intended) knowing he'll likely lose his job over it. The good of the country trumps all. I was proud when Obama was inaugurated. But he hasn't hoed his row nearly as well as he could have, in my view.

Likely a one term President. If he's wasn't Black, he would be along side Jimmy Carter and James K. Polk in the annuls of history.

As an aside, why is someone that is half black and half white "classifed" as Black??? It makes no sense. A Man/Women in that situation ought to be able to decide for themselves what they are. Our culture hasn't evolved as far as many of us would like to think. It's not the late nineteenth century where Quadroon's and Octoroon's are in demand in the brothels of New Orleans.

Pokefan

Territorial Marshal
Aug 3, 2004
Between Pryor and Adair on Beautiful Lake Hudson
I commend General McChrystal for it. I served over 20 years on active duty, and it take's a MAN at this level to call a spade a spade, (no pun intended) knowing he'll likely lose his job over it. The good of the country trumps all. I was proud when Obama was inaugurated. But he hasn't hoed his row nearly as well as he could have, in my view.

Likely a one term President. If he's wasn't Black, he would be along side Jimmy Carter and James K. Polk in the annuls of history.

As an aside, why is someone that is half black and half white "classifed" as Black??? It makes no sense. A Man/Women in that situation ought to be able to decide for themselves what they are. Our culture hasn't evolved as far as many of us would like to think. It's not the late nineteenth century where Quadroon's and Octoroon's are in demand in the brothels of New Orleans.
Criticizing a policy and mocking your Commander in Chief, The VP and Commanders are two entirely different things. You of all people should know that if you spent 20 yrs in (I thank you and commend you for your service) the military. Public Criticism is a major gaff to start with. Mockery... is career death. Plus it seems his own troops don't quite agree with McCrystal's policies. I'll ask, would he accept them criticizing him and mocking him and his aides publicly? No of course not. Bad deal all around if you ask me.

May 27, 2010
Criticizing a policy and mocking your Commander in Chief, The VP and Commanders are two entirely different things. You of all people should know that if you spent 20 yrs in (I thank you and commend you for your service) the military. Public Criticism is a major gaff to start with. Mockery... is career death. Plus it seems his own troops don't quite agree with McCrystal's policies. I'll ask, would he accept them criticizing him and mocking him and his aides publicly? No of course not. Bad deal all around if you ask me.
Again, a man at his level, at the twilight of his career, call it how ya see it. I'm sure it's the climax of some long festering impasse. Obama hasn't exactly been fully in the Military's corner.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

Pretty much how most of law enforcement in this country felt when these words were spoken.

"I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts – what role race played in that, but I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two that the Cambridge police acted stupidly"

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
Again, a man at his level, at the twilight of his career, call it how ya see it. I'm sure it's the climax of some long festering impasse. Obama hasn't exactly been fully in the Military's corner.
It's not the first time a General has critisized a sitting President and won't be the last. The criticism is well deserved. It's what happens when the voters put a community organizer in charge of the nations military. Unfortunately the jokes on us. Obama's arrogance combined with being militarily incompetent is deserving on no one's respect and brings mockery upon himself. McChrystal will be pilloried for saying what every military commander we have thinks. I find his honesty refreshing and with his lifetime of service to our country he has earned the right to tell the truth. We expect no less from our real leaders.

panhandler62

Territorial Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Martinsburg, WV
served over 20 years on active duty, and it take's a MAN at this level to call a spade a spade, (no pun intended) knowing he'll likely lose his job over it.
I think it's time to call B.S.

You have made a handfull of posts, citing yourself as a lifetime vet to establish authority but have demonstrated ignorance of even the most basc military protocol and life style.

The general may be correct in the meat of his comments but you do not call out the CinC in a public forum as he did and McChrystal knows it. He got frustrated, let fly and he has alreay accepted and commented that he should not have.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

You have made a handfull of posts, citing yourself as a lifetime vet to establish authority but have demonstrated ignorance of even the most basc military protocol and life style.

The general may be correct in the meat of his comments but you do not call out the CinC in a public forum as he did and McChrystal knows it. He got frustrated, let fly and he has alreay accepted and commented that he should not have.
McChrystal shouldn't have said what he did in the forum that he did. Doesn't make what he said wrong though.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

You have made a handful of posts, citing yourself as a lifetime vet to establish authority but have demonstrated ignorance of even the most basic military protocol and life style.
If you noticed Jim popped up when garlic boy got banned and a majority of his posts could be viewed as a trolling to pick a fight. I could be wrong, but it something worth thinking about.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
[QUOTE=Cimarron;1141065]McChrystal shouldn't have said what he did in the forum that he did. Doesn't make what he said wrong though.QUOTE]

You are right of course. It just makes me cringe to see a lifetime of service punished for telling the truth by someone who has never worn the uniform. He knew protocol when he said it and did so out of frustration. Wrong forum? Yes. True? Absolutely.

okstateguy987

Teamo Supremo
May 7, 2007
Not with him ... they don't rate that. They should be slapped upside the head with a cold trout and sent on their way (won't happen cause you know they have to be cronies.)

It wouldn't hurt Washington a bit to exercise a bit more decorum than has been the rule of late. This isn't the Buttnugget Jr. high student council; these are the leaders and staff of a giant nation in economic, foriegn relations and ecological crisis; they need to act as such.
From the way things have gone since day one, this IS junior high politics.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
If McChrystal has issues with his CinC then he needs to be a MAN and discuss it face-to-face with him. Airing it in a Rolling Stone article is pure passive-aggressive BS, whether or not what he said was accurate. If he had done this to Ronald Reagan he would have already been fired.

panhandler62

Territorial Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Martinsburg, WV
McCrystal saw the quotes in the article before it was published and didn't object.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/06/22/mcchrystal_saw_quotes_before_publication.html
I don't think anyone is trying to say that it was "gotcha" journalism. He got mad, he aired his feelings and later realized that maybe that wasn't such a good idea (to air them in *that* way.)

It sounds like he has made amends with everyone except the CinC now. Hopefully that will go well. He was wrong to do that but it would also be very, very wrong to remove the only commander on the ground who has actualy accomplished something in Afghanistan.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
Such honesty and integrity, from people who were not authorized to speak publicly. And a little ironic, too, that McChrystal being taken to the woodshed for speaking publicly when he ought not is leaked to the media by people who were not authorized to speak publicly. These people need to be taken to the woodshed with McChrystal.
"Honesty and integrity?" I hope that's not seriously what you thought. The first words that came to my mind were "immaturity" and "lack of judgment."

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
I should have added a ":rolleyes:". I was being sarcastic. If they did not have the authority to speak then they should not have spoken.
Sorry, I didn't pick up on it.

We've all engaged in this sort of locker room talk about our bosses before. Allowing this sort of thing to get to the media is pretty bad, though.