Mass Shooting(s)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
When it comes to shootings, not just mass shootings, my concern is always about the mentality ill. That’s the one you can’t prepare for. That’s the one that can go from sunny to stormy in one second. Kid from Tennessee eating at an outdoor cafe in Miami and a homeless mentality ill guy walks up and shoots him in the head. Complete strangers with no interaction.

It’s not even myself that I worry about. It’s your moms and grandparents, it’s your kids and brothers that I’m worried for.

It’s why good stable people need to be carrying for. Especially with police standing down and expensive mental care. Just my .02 cents.
But I wonder if there are mentally ill people and then there are very evil-minded people. That the two mind conditions are not the same. And that the latter is harder to detect and do something about.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
turns out even if you identify as non binary you can still carry out a crime motivated by hate on the LGBT community...but regardless, the POS needs to pay for killing five people...
Although I agree with the part about him having to pay, is it racist if a Mexican shoots another Mexican? I don't think motive really needs to factor into the sentencing decisions.

Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
Although I agree with the part about him having to pay, is it racist if a Mexican shoots another Mexican? I don't think motive really needs to factor into the sentencing decisions.
Obviously you're not woke enough. All crime is based in racism, mostly white racism since all our institutions are fundamentally racist in their state of being. You should accept your shame and pay reparations.

(xleyerollhere)

Jan 3, 2014
Obviously you're not woke enough. All crime is based in racism, mostly white racism since all our institutions are fundamentally racist in their state of being. You should accept your shame and pay reparations.

(xleyerollhere)
ummm the crime we were originally talking about was a shooting of LGBTQ, not quite a race...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2014
Biden says he will try to move on gun control during lame-duck session the hill

President Biden on Thursday said he would try to pass a bill banning assault rifles during the lame-duck session before the next Congress forms, despite long odds due to Republican opposition.
Biden spoke to reporters Thanksgiving morning, coming after a week that saw three mass shootings in the U.S.

Biden said it was “ridiculous” that red flag laws — in which law enforcement officers can seize firearms from individuals deemed a threat to themselves or others — were not being enforced across the country.
“No. 2, the idea … we still allow semi-automatic weapons to be purchased is sick. It’s just sick. It has no, no social redeeming value. Zero. None. Not a single, solitary rationale for it except profit for the gun manufacturers,” he said.
Biden said he was “going to try to get rid of assault weapons” during the lame-duck session, but it would depend on whether he has the votes to pass a bill.
The House introduced a bill to ban assault weapons earlier this year, but it was doomed with Democrats holding a slim majority in the Senate and most Republicans united against such legislation, making overcoming a filibuster impossible.
The lift for any gun control bill will be even more difficult when the next Congress forms in January, with Republicans taking control of the House.

Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
ummm the crime we were originally talking about was a shooting of LGBTQ, not quite a race...
ummmm, don't think I was talking to you but i guess you quit reading before u got to the eyeroll segment. @Jostate is an adult and knows I was being tongue in cheek. Ur just doing your thing and looking for something to bitch about. That said, the guy was white which by most woke accounts makes him racist as well a killer queen.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
When it comes to shootings, not just mass shootings, my concern is always about the mentality ill. That’s the one you can’t prepare for. That’s the one that can go from sunny to stormy in one second. Kid from Tennessee eating at an outdoor cafe in Miami and a homeless mentality ill guy walks up and shoots him in the head. Complete strangers with no interaction.

It’s not even myself that I worry about. It’s your moms and grandparents, it’s your kids and brothers that I’m worried for.

It’s why good stable people need to be carrying for. Especially with police standing down and expensive mental care. Just my .02 cents.
That's a perspective. But, the other side of that is that we seem to call the angry guy who kills "mentally ill" even when they don't really have a severe mental illness. It then becomes something of a scapegoat. Pretty much anyone that is going to randomly kill another person is "mentally ill" as there is no direct motive (love/direct anger/money etc) so what else are we going to call something so crazy? But, the anger and helplessness that many feel these days isn't always a typical mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar with paranoia etc). But, that doesn't mean that they haven't sought mental health care or been given some sort of mental health diagnosis (depression, adjustment disorder, antisocial behavior). My fear is sort of the opposite of yours, that we have a very angry society with prime access to lethal weapons and many, many examples to copycat and yet we all go "dang, that mental health" when it is mostly sociology and behavior, not true mental illness.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
But I wonder if there are mentally ill people and then there are very evil-minded people. That the two mind conditions are not the same. And that the latter is harder to detect and do something about.
That's a perspective. But, the other side of that is that we seem to call the angry guy who kills "mentally ill" even when they don't really have a severe mental illness. It then becomes something of a scapegoat. Pretty much anyone that is going to randomly kill another person is "mentally ill" as there is no direct motive (love/direct anger/money etc) so what else are we going to call something so crazy? But, the anger and helplessness that many feel these days isn't always a typical mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar with paranoia etc). But, that doesn't mean that they haven't sought mental health care or been given some sort of mental health diagnosis (depression, adjustment disorder, antisocial behavior). My fear is sort of the opposite of yours, that we have a very angry society with prime access to lethal weapons and many, many examples to copycat and yet we all go "dang, that mental health" when it is mostly sociology and behavior, not true mental illness.
Is evil and anger a mental illness? Tough question. Young males have always been known to have the propensity for violence. And society used to have outlets and maybe still does, for that violence to be let out. Lots of sports are violent. The military was an option. Gyms are a great way of channeling testosterone into muscle.

There once was an old saying. It’s better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

We (I) were raised with the awareness that a monster lives inside of all us. And we were taught in youth to let it out. To fight. To play war. Cops and robbers. Cowboys and Indians. As we matured, we were taught to control that monster. When it was appropriate to use it and when not to.

We’ve lost that.

When it comes to these young men going into work and public gatherings to shoot, I’d say yes, it’s grown to the point of mental illness.

Is being spoiled to the point that you believe the world should bow to you, a mental illness?

Yes.

Maybe it’s not fair to lump them with schizophrenia or bipolar sufferers.

There seems to be warning signs around these peoples lives, that those close enough, see.

Society is stuck. What can we do about it, when those closest to the perpetrators actually encourage the behavior behind closed doors?

Sadly, good stable people need to carry.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Is evil and anger a mental illness? Tough question. Young males have always been known to have the propensity for violence. And society used to have outlets and maybe still does, for that violence to be let out. Lots of sports are violent. The military was an option. Gyms are a great way of channeling testosterone into muscle.

There once was an old saying. It’s better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

We (I) were raised with the awareness that a monster lives inside of all us. And we were taught in youth to let it out. To fight. To play war. Cops and robbers. Cowboys and Indians. As we matured, we were taught to control that monster. When it was appropriate to use it and when not to.

We’ve lost that.

When it comes to these young men going into work and public gatherings to shoot, I’d say yes, it’s grown to the point of mental illness.

Is being spoiled to the point that you believe the world should bow to you, a mental illness?

Yes.

Maybe it’s not fair to lump them with schizophrenia or bipolar sufferers.

There seems to be warning signs around these peoples lives, that those close enough, see.

Society is stuck. What can we do about it, when those closest to the perpetrators actually encourage the behavior behind closed doors?

Sadly, good stable people need to carry.
Often those warning signs are seen very well in retrospect but blend in with all of the other angry men prospectively. That is why the "red flag" laws are so weak or nonexistent. The very strong gun lobby in this nation knows that for them to be effective a lot of people would be having their guns taken temporarily. In medicine, there is sensitivity and specificity. If red flag laws are sensitive, there will be a lot of false positives but fewer incidents. If they are specific, there will be fewer false positives, but more incidents. We can't have both, despite what politicians want to claim.

I think labeling every character flaw and violent tendency a mental illness is not correct nor beneficial and creates false victims out of perpetrators.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
But what about older men? Who live a normal life or somewhat and then shoot based on a transgression or perceived slight? Or just hate?

Is that a mental defect? Hard to argue that it is one worthy of leniency.
What needs to happen is a psychiatric evaluation. Is there disordered thinking? Delusions?

Just saying "a history of mental health problems" isn't sufficient.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Biden says he will try to move on gun control during lame-duck session the hill

President Bidenon Thursday said he would try to pass a bill banning assault rifles during the lame-duck session before the next Congress forms, despite long odds due to Republican opposition.
Biden spoke to reporters Thanksgiving morning, coming after a week that saw three mass shootings in the U.S.

Biden said it was “ridiculous” that red flag laws — in which law enforcement officers can seize firearms from individuals deemed a threat to themselves or others — were not being enforced across the country.
“No. 2, the idea … we still allow semi-automatic weapons to be purchased is sick. It’s just sick. It has no, no social redeeming value. Zero. None. Not a single, solitary rationale for it except profit for the gun manufacturers,” he said.
Biden said he was “going to try to get rid of assault weapons” during the lame-duck session, but it would depend on whether he has the votes to pass a bill.
The House introduced a bill to ban assault weapons earlier this year, but it was doomed with Democrats holding a slim majority in the Senate and most Republicans united against such legislation, making overcoming a filibuster impossible.
The lift for any gun control bill will be even more difficult when the next Congress forms in January, with Republicans taking control of the House.
So now we're changing from "assault rifles" to all semi-automatic weapons?

Jan 3, 2014
ummmm, don't think I was talking to you but i guess you quit reading before u got to the eyeroll segment. @Jostate is an adult and knows I was being tongue in cheek. Ur just doing your thing and looking for something to bitch about. That said, the guy was white which by most woke accounts makes him racist as well a killer queen.
whatever-shrug.gif

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Yeah, remember this Uncle Joe that stated you only need a pump-action shotgun.

He’s an idiot when it come to firearms. Or it’s dementia.
He'd probably call my 12 gauge Mossberg a weapon of war because I have it all tricked out with tacticool stuff like a breacher barrel, heat shield, flash light mount, and a short stock. Looks cool as hell and thats all I did it for because it shoots exactly the same as any other home defense shotgun. Looks like something a Navy Seal or a Swat team member would carry though.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
He'd probably call my 12 gauge Mossberg a weapon of war because I have it all tricked out with tacticool stuff like a breacher barrel, heat shield, flash light mount, and a short stock. Looks cool as hell and thats all I did it for because it shoots exactly the same as any other home defense shotgun. Looks like something a Navy Seal or a Swat team member would carry though.
Yup. Definitely now an assault weapon.