Mass Shooting(s)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
I don't worry or think about getting killed by fentanyl while out shopping, eating, working...the outrage is that innocent people just minding their own business are being killed...
Plenty of innocent people that have been killed by fentanyl as well.
I don't worry or think about getting killed by fentanyl while out shopping, eating, working...the outrage is that innocent people just minding their own business are being killed...
Perhaps you should since their are thousands of people that have died while innocently minding their own business and ingesting, without their knowledge, something laced with fentanyl.
Again, wasn’t trying to minimize gun deaths, but apparently some of you can read my mind and suggest otherwise.
You can give me examples of news reports showing stories about it, but the wringing of hands over fentanyl deaths compared to gun deaths is not even close to comparable. And it is only going to get worse since it is flooding over our border at break neck speed.
If fentanyl death coverage has become background noise, then what is gun death coverage comparable to?

Jan 3, 2014
US passes 600 mass shootings for third straight year the hill

The U.S. has seen more than 600 mass shootings for three straight years.
According to the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive, there have been 609 incidents in 2022 in which four or more people, other than the attacker, were shot — putting the U.S. on pace to reach around 675 by the end of the year.

Last year saw a staggering 690 mass shootings across the nation, up from 610 in 2020 and 417 in 2019.
“The country is three mass shootings away from 2022 being the second-highest yearly total since we began tracking data,” the GVA database researchers said Wednesday. By Thursday, the country was just two shootings away from that dark milestone.
The U.S. has experienced an average of 1.68 mass shootings per day so far this year, according to GVA. The average has been above 1 each year since 2019, with 1.9 mass shootings per day in 2021.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Why does that attempt at "science" imply that suicide-related gun deaths don't seem to matter as much?

Mass murders.

The Gun Violence Archive, an online database of gun violence incidents in the U.S., defines mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people are shot, even if no one was killed (excluding the shooters).

Using this broad definition, 513 people died in these incidents in 2020.

Pew’s conclusion: The fatalities in mass shooting incidents in the U.S. account for a very small fraction of all gun murders that occur nationwide each year.

School Killings

According to James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University who has been tracking these events for decades and helps keep the AP/USA Today/Northeastern Mass Killing database:

School massacres like the one in Uvalde are exceptionally rare events. They actually occurred more often in the 1990s than recently.Source

Prof. Fox notes that school shootings are undeniable tragedies, but that “the annual odds that an American child will die in a mass shooting at school are nearly 10 million to 1, about the odds of being killed by lightning or of dying in an earthquake.” Source

Drug Overdose Deaths

For perspective, let’s draw a comparison…

According to WebMD – channeling the CDC:

U.S. deaths attributed to drug overdoses topped 100,000 last year for the first time.

Specifically, in 2021, drug overdose deaths increased 15% to 107,622 … more than double the number of gun-related deaths … and quadruple the number of gun-related homicides.

Fentanyl accounted for 71,238 deaths … almost 3 out of 4 drug overdose deaths

In 2022. with Fentanyl flowing freely across the southern border, it’s widely expected that Fentanyl-related deaths will soar.

71,238/365= 195.17 per day.

Yeah, let’s lose our collective minds over 1.9 per day over the background noise of 195.17 per day.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Are you saying that you do walk around worrying about getting shot while shopping, eating, and working? That thought doesn't enter my head at all. I mean, I'm not saying it isn't a possibility that it could happen, but I'll deal with it if I ever get into that situation. I'm not going to walk around in fear until then.
I don't walk around thinking about it all the time. I can tell you when I am in one of those little situations that can happen where the hairs are up on the back of my neck because something doesn't feel quite right I am far more worried that someone has a gun than I was in Australia.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Mass murders.

The Gun Violence Archive, an online database of gun violence incidents in the U.S., defines mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people are shot, even if no one was killed (excluding the shooters).

Pew’s conclusion: The fatalities in mass shooting incidents in the U.S. account for a very small fraction of all gun murders that occur nationwide each year.

School Killings

According to James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University who has been tracking these events for decades and helps keep the AP/USA Today/Northeastern Mass Killing database:

School massacres like the one in Uvalde are exceptionally rare events. They actually occurred more often in the 1990s than recently.Source

Prof. Fox notes that school shootings are undeniable tragedies, but that “the annual odds that an American child will die in a mass shooting at school are nearly 10 million to 1, about the odds of being killed by lightning or of dying in an earthquake.” Source

Drug Overdose Deaths

U.S. deaths attributed to drug overdoses topped 100,000 last year for the first time.

Specifically, in 2021, drug overdose deaths increased 15% to 107,622 … more than double the number of gun-related deaths … and quadruple the number of gun-related homicides.

In 2022. with Fentanyl flowing freely across the southern border, it’s widely expected that Fentanyl-related deaths will soar.

Yeah, let’s lose our collective minds over 1.9 per day over the background noise of 195.17 per day.

Jan 3, 2014
Mass murders.

School Killings

Drug Overdose Deaths

not sure why you want to downplay mass shootings? I agree drug overdose deaths are terrible as well...idea: start a new thread...personally I think mass shootings are a major problem in our country, that's why I'm trying to draw attention to it...

Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
I don't walk around thinking about it all the time. I can tell you when I am in one of those little situations that can happen where the hairs are up on the back of my neck because something doesn't feel quite right I am far more worried that someone has a gun than I was in Australia.
Understood. You deal with mentally ill people who are proven capable of taking lives. I've thought about this in your position and wondered if it crossed your mind. Heck, you even have to deal with people like me and that should worry anyone. :)

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
You and I both know combat soldiers are never the same when they come home. Some are just unable to adjust and some adjust enough to have full lives but all sustain damage. I for one appreciate beyond words what you do.
Yep. While the VA does screw up a lot, I can say that at least locally disabled veterans have about the best access to mental health care out there. Still a very difficult issue, but at least we try.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Wasn’t trying to minimize gun deaths, just pointing out the lack of outrage over the other, when it is clearly leaps and bounds more of a problem than mass shootings.
You understand that this statement is a textbook example of “minimization” and whataboutism, right?

Besides, there is plenty…..TONS of concern about fentanyl deaths and how to combat them….so even your minimization and whataboutism is bogus and based on a completely false premise.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
When it comes to shootings, not just mass shootings, my concern is always about the mentality ill. That’s the one you can’t prepare for. That’s the one that can go from sunny to stormy in one second. Kid from Tennessee eating at an outdoor cafe in Miami and a homeless mentality ill guy walks up and shoots him in the head. Complete strangers with no interaction.

It’s not even myself that I worry about. It’s your moms and grandparents, it’s your kids and brothers that I’m worried for.

It’s why good stable people need to be carrying for. Especially with police standing down and expensive mental care. Just my .02 cents.

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Howard Woodridge is a retired police officer who now works as a lobbyist in DC to try to convince Congress to legalize drugs. He regularly attends a weekly meeting of 100 very big shooter conservative Republicans who discuss a variety of issues. Never ever do they bring up that there’s a problem of mass shootings in this country. Instead, the problem of transgender athletes comes up on a regular basis. So, no wonder that was the only political issue in TV ads that Markwayne Mullin concerned himself with when running for senator. He likely thinks more and more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens is the best way to combat mass shootings. But that would likely make more mass shooters see the importance of putting on body armor. The upside of that is they will be easier to take down by people, like combat veterans brave enough to try to do it, and they won't be able to run away as fast. But I sure don't see how more guns will reduce the number of suicides by gun. The majority of gun deaths are done that way.

As for the drug issue, Woodridge believes the main part of his work is to convince Republicans and Democrats to employ the 10th amendment, when it comes to the issue of marijuana and other drugs.

Last edited: