Majorie Taylor Greene Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Is it just me or does it seem everytime a Democrat wins the election there is always this same narrative that "they are gonna take our guns"
And it’s not like we have a system of government that allows the democratic election of political representatives who can legislate laws to establish freedom and someone who can sign it into action. Nope. Guns are the only way to do that.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Is it just me or does it seem everytime a Democrat wins the election there is always this same narrative that "they are gonna take our guns"
I see you have caught on yet.

It is the Gun lobby work to get GOP Politicians to say those things about every Dem that gets elected.

Everytime they do the demand for guns and ammo sky rockets and sales soar on guns and ammo.

It is a marketing ploy by the Gun Lobby to sell more guns. and it works AMAZINGLY well for the last 30+ years

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Ronald Reagan is rolling over in his grave.

I became a Republican because of Ronald Reagan. This no longer even begins to resemble that party. I said all the way back in 2008 when John McCain in one of the debates floated the idea of taking $600B to pay down the principal on bad house loans that I felt like the party had abandoned me. It just keeps going further and further away from anything that resembles conservatism.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

I became a Republican because of Ronald Reagan. This no longer even begins to resemble that party. I said all the way back in 2008 when John McCain in one of the debates floated the idea of taking $600B to pay down the principal on bad house loans that I felt like the party had abandoned me. It just keeps going further and further away from anything that resembles conservatism.
They’re only fiscally conservative when it suits them. They already know they have their voters in the BAG (Bibles Abortion Guns).

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

I have a Reagan Bush '84 shirt that I love to wear.

Every time someone says something to me about the shirt, I always comment "Yeah back when there were Real and Principled Conservatives"

This election cycle I had a Biden sign up in my Yard and my neighbor come over and put her Trump sign next to my sign in her yard. One day I walked out to get the mail and was wearing my Reagan/Bush shirt and she asked how I could ever wear that shirt and have a Biden sign in my yard. I told her the party of the people on my shirt didn't exist anymore.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Just flip it with 'they're going to ban abortion' or set us back centuries on LGBTQ rights etc.
There is one difference on at least one of those....the Republican Party National platform statement has a plank explicitly calling for what would be a national ban on abortion.

So it's not just the lefties claiming that's what they'll try to do....it's the party and its candidates saying it too.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
There is one difference on at least one of those....the Republican Party National platform statement has a plank explicitly calling for what would be a national ban on abortion.

So it's not just the lefties claiming that's what they'll try to do....it's the party and its candidates saying it too.
And the lefties platform doesn't include gun control?

laws that allow courts to temporarily remove guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others

Sep 3, 2010
I have a Reagan Bush '84 shirt that I love to wear.

Every time someone says something to me about the shirt, I always comment "Yeah back when there were Real and Principled Conservatives"

This election cycle I had a Biden sign up in my Yard and my neighbor come over and put her Trump sign next to my sign in her yard. One day I walked out to get the mail and was wearing my Reagan/Bush shirt and she asked how I could ever wear that shirt and have a Biden sign in my yard. I told her the party of the people on my shirt didn't exist anymore.
So you voted for the "real and principled conservatives" Biden and Harris? Not sure I can follow that logic.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So you voted for the "real and principled conservatives" Biden and Harris? Not sure I can follow that logic.
Nope, I just voted for more conservative politicians and more respectable in their personal beliefs than Trump. It was an easy choice.

Trump enables idiots like Marjorie Taylor Greene, Stephen Miller, Mike Flynn, Rudy G, Matt Gaetz, etc etc to become a thing and actually amass some sort of power or perceived importance. Those are examples why

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
It doesn't include "they are gonna take our guns" or anything like that.....no.

Which is kind of the point of my post...the deliberate mis-characterizing of the actual platforms of the parties for political gain.

The Republican Party platform explicitly calls for a ban on all abortions, without any exceptions.

The Democratic Party platform does not call for taking guns away or a complete ban on the possession of firearms. Anyone that implies or argues that the Democratic Party platform on firearms is "they are gonna take our guns" is being deliberately disingenuous.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

I left because of John McCain.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004

laws that allow courts to temporarily remove guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others
Nice edit after you've been quoted.

I mean, you can read it yourself.....

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/

Page 47 because i like to be helpful....

I don't see anything in there even approaching "gonna take your guns" *shoulder shrug.gif".

Keep in mind that I haven't even commented on whether I agree with any of these positions.

I merely commenting on the fact that when lefties say the right is looking to ban all abortions.....they're not wrong. That's exactly what the Republican party platform says.

Sep 3, 2010
Nope, I just voted for more conservative politicians and more respectable in their personal beliefs than Trump. It was an easy choice.

Trump enables idiots like Marjorie Taylor Greene, Stephen Miller, Mike Flynn, Rudy G, Matt Gaetz, etc etc to become a thing and actually amass some sort of power or perceived importance. Those are examples why
So who is enabling idiots like Pelosi, Omar, AOC, Schiff, Swalwell, ect ect ? There are plenty of idiots to go around. If conservatism is your concern you pissed away your vote.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
So who is enabling idiots like Pelosi, Omar, AOC, Schiff, Swalwell, ect ect ? There are plenty of idiots to go around. If conservatism is your concern you pissed away your vote.
Can we just agree there are "idiots" on both sides of the political spectrum, name calling and bashing both sides without any kind of discussion is backwards in my mind.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Can we just agree there are "idiots" on both sides of the political spectrum, name calling and bashing both sides without any kind of discussion is backwards in my mind.
"Idiots on both sides" aren't causing this Republican to question how much longer he can stay a Republican, because he doesn't want to be associated with the idiots on the Republican side and there is no longer any recognizable ideological center.

Mar 11, 2006
"Idiots on both sides" aren't causing this Republican to question how much longer he can stay a Republican, because he doesn't want to be associated with the idiots on the Republican side and there is no longer any recognizable ideological center.
IMO, you need to decide which issues are most important to you and then make a determination if a specific political party is more aligned to that issue. Don’t worry about a couple of crazies.

One thing is true is both Republicans and Democrats now have Congressmen/women that are very extreme. The topic of the thread, Greene, is a loon. Same with her Republican friend from the state to her south, Gaetz. Democrats have AOC, Omar, and who may be the worst Cori Bush.

Sure the Republicans look bad skirting around not to offend Trump, and Dem leadership has been slow to stop some of the outlandish statements from the squad ...but I don’t think these extremists are defining the agenda for either party. Yes, I think it is concern, but I don’t think a couple of wack jobs is a reason to leave a political party.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
IMO, you need to decide which issues are most important to you and then make a determination if a specific political party is more aligned to that issue. Don’t worry about a couple of crazies.

One thing is true is both Republicans and Democrats now have Congressmen/women that are very extreme. The topic of the thread, Greene, is a loon. Same with her Republican friend from the state to her south, Gaetz. Democrats have AOC, Omar, and who may be the worst Cori Bush.

Sure the Republicans look bad skirting around not to offend Trump, and Dem leadership has been slow to stop some of the outlandish statements from the squad ...but I don’t think these extremists are defining the agenda for either party. Yes, I think it is concern, but I don’t think a couple of wack jobs is a reason to leave a political party.
One party just literally voted out their #3 because she refused to support the extremists view in the party

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

I understand your logic behind it and agree that either party shouldn't be defined by their extremes (although the extremes seem to be the best fundraisers for some reason). But on principle I disagree with this completely.

This line of thinking would likely produce the best ideological bang for your vote but does nothing to reduce the level of partisanship that we are dealing with right now.

I say do the opposite. When voting throw your personal politics out and ask if the person you are voting for is trying to make the country better or are they trying to tow the party line. There are only so many Kinzingers and Klobuchars out there and we should support candidates like that regardless of political affiliation.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
One party just literally voted out their #3 because she refused to support the extremists view in the party
I don't think they have extremist views. They saw Trump as a means to an end and are still in damage control mode over how it blew up in their face. The goal of the Republican party is to make as many people as possible forget that January 6th happened by November 2022. Trump isn't helping things but Cheney having a conscience was becoming problematic.

Their problem now is enough of their base has bought into the bs so they have to two a fine line between attracting moderates who were appaled by the events after the election and keeping the people who truly bought into the big lie engaged. The best thing for the Republicans Party would be for Trump to have a stroke and be permanently sidelined.