Majorie Taylor Greene Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
You could make all elections non partisan and remove parties from the primary process. Free to join whatever party you want, but references to it won't show up in ballots or create separate primaries. Personal opinion here, but doing primaries this way is the biggest driver of the garbage we see currently. Everyone caters to the base in the primary by stating how much better they are at owning the other side. It's always been strange to me that the parties get to basically operate the primaries.
They may cater to the base in the primary, but then they have to attract a broader coalition in the main.

States operate the primaries. If a state wants open primaries, closed primaries, or caucuses it is all on the state.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Republicans right now have no discernable defining principles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
True, the party needs a leader they can unite behind. Having 17 candidates 2 years from now will not be a recipe for success. And the most extreme will have too much an opportunity to win the nomination.

Both parties are being successfully defined by their extremes. Liberals want to point out MTG and conservatives like to point out Cori Bush and Ilan Omar
Amazingly, AOC seems to be constraining herself lately.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This is what Ranked Choice Voting would fix in a primary.
I'm still mulling that one over. It sounds logical but I'm trying to see the unintended consequences from this.

Either way I've lost faith in the American voter so what do we have to lose?
The New York city mayoral race hasn't helped supporters of that election type. They are handling it horribly.

Last edited:

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The new York city martial race hasn't helped supporters of that election type. They are handling it horribly.

Although I agree, poor handling of a new idea does not necessarily mean the new idea is bad.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The new York city martial race hasn't helped supporters of that election type. They are handling it horribly.

Although I agree, poor handling of a new idea does not necessarily mean the new idea is bad.
I agree. I'm just still on the fence as to whether I think it's a good idea or a bad idea. But I also think with the fact of having had many examples in the past of places that have tried it that they could have come up with a way to educate people and try to make it run more smoothly.
I think in smaller elections it may be a really good idea to use. But I think when you stretch it to the size of primaries for president and or the actual presidential election, that it will be stretched pretty thin as to its ability to be feasible

Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1417317489898315778
What a poorly written article. What did she tweet?

Although the history of MTG means I probably won’t agree with her tweet, an article about her being temporarily banned due to misinformation should include what she tweeted so we could make decisions for ourselves.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1417317489898315778

What a poorly written article. What did she tweet?

Although the history of MTG means I probably won’t agree with her tweet, an article about her being temporarily banned due to misinformation should include what she tweeted so we could make decisions for ourselves.
You want them to repeat the misinformation?

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Twitter Suspends Marjorie Taylor Greene for Posting Coronavirus Misinformation

In tweets on Sunday and Monday, she argued that Covid-19 was not dangerous for people unless they were obese or over age 65, and said vaccines should not be required.

Twitter said Ms. Greene’s tweets were misinformation, and it barred her from the service until Tuesday. “We took enforcement action on the account @mtgreenee for violations of the Twitter Rules, specifically the Covid-19 misleading information policy,” a Twitter spokesman said. The company also added labels to Ms. Greene’s posts about the vaccines, calling them “misleading” and pointing to information about the safety of the inoculations.

also from BBC: Last month she apologised for likening coronavirus mask rules to the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany.

Mar 11, 2006
You want them to repeat the misinformation?

As part of the news story ....absolutely. I think it is very fair to say that Twitter has a history of questionable, or at least very inconsistent. decisioning on banning content. I would like to read what she tweeted to see if this really was misinformation or was it an opinion they didn't like.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
As part of the news story ....absolutely. I think it is very fair to say that Twitter has a history of questionable, or at least very inconsistent. decisioning on banning content. I would like to read what she tweeted to see if this really was misinformation or was it an opinion they didn't like.
What a poorly written post. How are they questionable and inconsistent on banning content? I would like to read what they did/did not ban to see if they really were questionable and inconsistent or if they simply did something you didn’t like.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
social media is so bad/good for our society...but mostly bad...a study I shared earlier:
A 2018 MIT studyshows that fake and false news (characterized as such by six well-known fact-checking organizations) spreads faster on Twitter than true stories, it’s retweeted more often, and it spreads farther. Fake news is 70 percent more likely to be retweeted than real news and people, not bots, are doing the primary spreading.
people are so freakin gullible...
but also, I believe Derek Chauvin would be a free man today if not for video of his crime...

Mar 11, 2006
What a poorly written post. How are they questionable and inconsistent on banning content? I would like to read what they did/did not ban to see if they really were questionable and inconsistent or if they simply did something you didn’t like.
True. My posts on orangepower should have the same journalistic rigor as a major news organization. :D

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
social media is so bad/good for our society...but mostly bad...a study I shared earlier:
A 2018 MIT studyshows that fake and false news (characterized as such by six well-known fact-checking organizations) spreads faster on Twitter than true stories, it’s retweeted more often, and it spreads farther. Fake news is 70 percent more likely to be retweeted than real news and people, not bots, are doing the primary spreading.
people are so freakin gullible...
but also, I believe Derek Chauvin would be a free man today if not for video of his crime...
That's because real life is boring as hell but people want everything to be like some TV drama...

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
True. My posts on orangepower should have the same journalistic rigor as a major news organization. :D
Oh, that’s not the point of your post? I’m sorry.

Maybe spreading false information wasn’t the point of the article. Maybe the point wasn’t to let people decide if MTG was fairly suspended. Most people already know her schtick. If they put her tweet in the article, it would only help her. If someone wants to know what she wrote, they’re free to search Google to confirm it. That’s what I did.

Mar 11, 2006
So this is apparently what MTG that got her temporarily suspended:
"The controversial #COVID19 vaccines should not be forced on our military for a virus that is not dangerous for non-obese people and those under 65. With 6,000 vax related deaths and many concerning side effects reported, the vax should be a choice not a mandate for everyone."

First, Twitter has the right to do what they want on their platform. But IMO, their decision is very weak and further validates those that believe Twitter is extremely biased as to what they deem as misinformation and what they allow.
No one should take that I am defending MTG, but what she tweeted was opinion.
* I 100% think people should get the vaccine, but I fully believe it should be a choice and understand why she is against mandating the vaccine for our military.
* I disagree with her on her definition of dangerous. Although the virus certainly is less problematic and deadly for non-obese and those under 65, the virus is still in my definition of dangerous. However, that is still an opinion.
* I don't know if the 6K is accurate - maybe this is what Twitter was suspending for. The CDC reports 1K deaths, but I think that was through April.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
That the virus has killed and continues to kill people who are non-obese and 65 is not opinion, it is fact. In fact, that describes my late sister in law. The vaccine is only controversial for those who want it to be controversial, i.e. idiots.

The military absolutely has a responsibility to protect its members from infectious diseases. Should antimalarials be optional when being deployed in the tropics?