Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We have the third best conference record over the last 10 years or so. Let me know when we get to year after year in 9th place......
Why wait that long before making a change? That would have a horrible effect on our program.

Fanbases get excited about trajectory, not past performance. And right now we're trending downward with a coach that's not making necessary changes to improve anything but his own bank account.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
The 'antics' include not recruiting anymore on Fridays and now Mondays so he can go watch Stillwater High play. The one big day, Friday, when you can go see a recruit play football, and he has a jet to come back and catch the SHS games and he still doesn't go despite the fact we are averaging 5th or 6th in the conference in recruiting over the last 4 years. The 'antics" include his claiming he's going to 'fix' the problem like he said yesterday, yet last year he said he was responsible for the penalties and mistakes and yet here we are again and they aren't fixed. You don't tell a college kid O'Colly reporter that if he/she tries to interview Jalen McClesky after his decision to redshirt and transfer, that you'll be banned from interviewing players. You don't have a screaming fit with Hargis and Holder and then go like a little baby to the regents when you don't get your way at first and get a 5-year extension and raise with rollovers by claiming it needs to be done to help recruiting and then not recruit any better before you had the University over a barrel when you now decide to just put it on cruise control You don't hire east coach coordinators, with zero ties to our geographic recruiting areas and the high school coaches in those areas when your recruiting is below even being mediocre. Other than that, there are no 'antics'. It's the record vs Big XII opponents over the last two years that's also a legit reason to want something done now.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I agree with all this Rack..the mullet, dancing, the rant, even the fart noise are part of his shtick. It kind of like Leach and les..it’s kind of neat and separates you from the pack. The problem is it works well when you are winning. When your team heads south and you do that though you start to look dumb.

Right now he is looking pretty dumb. If we would have beat Tech and Baylor I would be reveling in the antics. I’m afraid I’ll want to get the clippers out after we lose to WV, TCU, Kansas and the goons
I really thought he missed an opportunity this off season. He spent 8 months talking about renewed focus on discipline and back to business, it was a great chance to cut the mullet and make it part of the "look at me" business in the front and back photo op.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Gundy claims OSU is on as steady ground as it has ever been, yet OSU is 4-9 in conference since last season. There is only one other Big 12 school with a worse record over that period...Kansas.
Certainly it's a little shaky right now and we need to figure out who's injecting too much waste water in the well...That being said, it's had been on very solid ground only 1 and a half seasons ago so we can still be hopeful without going into full blown panic...if we suck so bad we don't make a bowl? Then panic needs to happen.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The 'antics' include not recruiting anymore on Fridays and now Mondays so he can go watch Stillwater High play. The one big day, Friday, when you can go see a recruit play football, and he has a jet to come back and catch the SHS games and he still doesn't go despite the fact we are averaging 5th or 6th in the conference in recruiting over the last 4 years. The 'antics" include his claiming he's going to 'fix' the problem like he said yesterday, yet last year he said he was responsible for the penalties and mistakes and yet here we are again and they aren't fixed. You don't tell a college kid O'Colly reporter that if he/she tries to interview Jalen McClesky after his decision to redshirt and transfer, that you'll be banned from interviewing players. You don't have a screaming fit with Hargis and Holder and then go like a little baby to the regents when you don't get your way at first and get a 5-year extension and raise with rollovers by claiming it needs to be done to help recruiting and then not recruit any better before you had the University over a barrel when you now decide to just put it on cruise control You don't hire east coach coordinators, with zero ties to our geographic recruiting areas and the high school coaches in those areas when your recruiting is below even being mediocre. Other than that, there are no 'antics'. It's the record vs Big XII opponents over the last two years that's also a legit reason to want something done now.
1571753131668.png

Ax to grind??

It seems to me that you have a personal problem with Coach Gundy. Bottom line, we certainly need to improve, but he's shown he can do it time and again when in this scenario. The fact that he values his kids and is involved in their sports is a recruiting tool. The fact that he protects his program from reporters is a recruiting tool. The fact that we had an outstanding, award winning, academic year last year within the football program is a recruiting tool. Having a high paid coach is actually a recruiting tool...especially when he can say he turned down Arkansas and Tennessee to stay here. Bringing in guys like Yurich was successful...the jury is still completely out on the new OC. Basically everything you said has a counterpoint...I can see yours as well, but it's very one sided.

Bottom-line, Oklahoma State football will play out the year and then reassess the situation in hopes that he rights the ship in a positive direction going into next year, with (I'm nearly positive) him as the head coach. That's what is going to happen, hope you can live with that.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I really thought he missed an opportunity this off season. He spent 8 months talking about renewed focus on discipline and back to business, it was a great chance to cut the mullet and make it part of the "look at me" business in the front and back photo op.
I agree on the mullet...I think he should go to the shaved head look (or nearly shaved) until we start back on our winning ways.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I agree on the mullet...I think he should go to the shaved head look (or nearly shaved) until we start back on our winning ways.
I wanted 1950's style, old school, crew cut. It would work so well with his weekly, "kids these days" cranky old man thing he's on lately.

Last edited:

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
View attachment 74272
Ax to grind??

It seems to me that you have a personal problem with Coach Gundy. Bottom line, we certainly need to improve, but he's shown he can do it time and again when in this scenario. The fact that he values his kids and is involved in their sports is a recruiting tool. The fact that he protects his program from reporters is a recruiting tool. The fact that we had an outstanding, award winning, academic year last year within the football program is a recruiting tool. Having a high paid coach is actually a recruiting tool...especially when he can say he turned down Arkansas and Tennessee to stay here. Bringing in guys like Yurich was successful...the jury is still completely out on the new OC. Basically everything you said has a counterpoint...I can see yours as well, but it's very one sided.

Bottom-line, Oklahoma State football will play out the year and then reassess the situation in hopes that he rights the ship in a positive direction.
LOL. All this talk about recruiting tools, but Gundy still doesn't recruit that great and will continue to recruit medicore in this conference for years to come. When are these "tools" going to pay off? That was a total spin post there.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We have the third best conference record over the last 10 years or so. Let me know when we get to year after year in 9th place......
Gundy claims OSU is on as steady ground as it has ever been, yet OSU is 4-9 in conference since last season. There is only one other Big 12 school with a worse record over that period...Kansas.
He's talking this season, not last season.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Why wait that long before making a change? That would have a horrible effect on our program.

Fanbases get excited about trajectory, not past performance. And right now we're trending downward with a coach that's not making necessary changes to improve anything but his own bank account.
He was obviously responding to Captain Eric with that comment.

Nov 20, 2007
Spencer is definitely a huge issue with turnovers. However, this defense is atrocious! We have zero push up front and our secondary as a result gets lit up.

Why does Gundy continually hire top assistance from non power 5 schools with no relationships within the high school recruiting terriorty we pull from?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
LOL. All this talk about recruiting tools, but Gundy still doesn't recruit that great and will continue to recruit medicore in this conference for years to come. When are these "tools" going to pay off? That was a total spin post there.
A spin post in response to a spin post. Truth is that it's between the two...the point was that every point he made has a counter point and his post was just as biased to the other side.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Spencer is definitely a huge issue with turnovers. However, this defense is atrocious! We have zero push up front and our secondary as a result gets lit up.

Why does Gundy continually hire top assistance from non power 5 schools with no relationships within the high school recruiting terriorty we pull from?
Because he thinks he's smarter than everyone else and is going to find some diamond in the rough. And he doesn't want to hire someone too good because he doesn't want to have to replace them after a year or 2. And he can usually control these guys he hires. This strategy is not working for him or the program.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Wait, we made Brewer run around and actually sacked him what, 4 times, and you have a problem with the D? Yeah, we got burned on a couple of long plays, but I think our guys did pretty good.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Wait, we made Brewer run around and actually sacked him what, 4 times, and you have a problem with the D? Yeah, we got burned on a couple of long plays, but I think our guys did pretty good.

Burned on a couple of plays? They averaged almost 10 yards per play in the 3rd and 4th quarter. The defense absolutely folded like a wet taco and was as bad as they could possibly be.

Jan 14, 2006

This. I rewatched the game sober and the D wasn't our problem. They haven't been all year. Knowles has done a pretty good job all things considered. I'm excited to see what happens when he gets more of his players in the system.

Jan 14, 2006
Did you fall asleep in the 3rd quarter while you were rewatching the game?
I didn't say they were perfect. Just that they weren't the main reason we lost.
And not to be whiny about refs guy, but man, there were a few close PI calls on both sides and it seemed like every one went Baylor's way.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
That's the direction we're headed. We're tied for 8th (WVU & KU) right now and probably won't improve on it this week. We've got to beat TCU, WVU, and Kansas, which I whole heartedly think we CAN, but I don't have much hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.