Loyal & True. Cowboy Basketball 20’-21’ Season Ends in a Second Round Exit against Oregon State. Pokes Finish 21-9 Overall. Proud and Immortal #NewEra

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Oregon State vs. Oklahoma State

This is what I could gather from the information I've been able to get from the sources I've gotten information from.

Think in football terms
Imagine OSU in 2011 vs. Alabama that same year.

OSU played fast and wide open whereas Alabama wanted to slow the game down and keep everything compacted and use their size to overwhelm their opponents.

That's what we have in today's match up.

Oklahoma State has to make this game fast.

The Cowboys have to attack the rim. Oregon State allowed a lot of dribble penetration early in the year, but that was because their 7 footer had Covid and their 4 was still getting adjusted

Their interior defense has substantially improved in the latter part of the season.

So, the matchup of Oklahoma States penetration vs their interior size is THE key matchup to this game.

If it turns into a half court game Oregon State will win.

Oregon State has a 7 footer and will provide a match up problem Oklahoma State really hasn't had to deal with.

It will be interesting to to see how we play him.

What most people don't understand is that he had Covid, so it took him a long time to get his wind underneath him.

Their 4 didn't play organized basketball until his Jr. Year in High School so it took him some time to get adjusted to this level of basketball.

So....this Oregon State team didn't just get hot, they simply finally got all their pieces adjusted enough to start gelling.

Whoever controls the pace of this game wins.

It's as simple as that. If the game is fast the Cowboys will win.

If the game is played in a phone booth, Oregon State wins.

The winner advances to the Sweet Sixteen where they will play Loyola-Chicago who just took down Illinois.

Man....I sure do feel bad for Brad Underwood with his teams loss today.

Wait...No I don't!
Haven't seen the Beavers, but I'm curious how you think their big man compares to Sims from UT.

One thing I've loved so far this weekend is seeing some really nifty big men that most of us have never heard of. The dude from Eastern Washington, Loyola, etc... Fun to see some crafty upperclassmen have their day against high profile guys.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
This late start going to be rough on anyone else? I like going to bed around 930-10. Will be tough after being amped up from the game. Also, waiting for the last game to tip is pretty nerve racking as well.
Absolutely!!! I saw that game time and was very annoyed. I'm an old man at heart (and mostly body) and I don't like to be up late. Especially on a work night.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
Huey, Caden and Max all need to be high on base % guys if this offense has any chance of being dynamic.

Meaning.... if we want to be able to score on different ways

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
The Beavers big man appears to be a big lumbering oaf who didn’t score or rebound much during the regular season. Which sets him up perfectly to go off on us tonight.

Kent

Wrangler
Aug 30, 2011
Loyola should have never been an 8 seed. The were the 9th ranked team on kenpom. They got a terrible seed. They were very fun to watch. Well coached. Hope we get a chance to face them!

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005

This is what I could gather from the information I've been able to get from the sources I've gotten information from.

Think in football terms

OSU played fast and wide open whereas Alabama wanted to slow the game down and keep everything compacted and use their size to overwhelm their opponents.

The Cowboys have to attack the rim. Oregon State allowed a lot of dribble penetration early in the year, but that was because their 7 footer had Covid and their 4 was still getting adjusted

Their interior defense has substantially improved in the latter part of the season.

So, the matchup of Oklahoma States penetration vs their interior size is THE key matchup to this game.

Oregon State has a 7 footer and will provide a match up problem Oklahoma State really hasn't had to deal with.

What most people don't understand is that he had Covid, so it took him a long time to get his wind underneath him.

Their 4 didn't play organized basketball until his Jr. Year in High School so it took him some time to get adjusted to this level of basketball.

So....this Oregon State team didn't just get hot, they simply finally got all their pieces adjusted enough to start gelling.

The winner advances to the Sweet Sixteen where they will play Loyola-Chicago who just took down Illinois.

Wait...No I don't!
I think what is going to help us tonight and against Loyola if we get that far is these Pokes don’t get frustrated. You could tell by Illinois’ body language they weren’t coming back in that game. These young men are always calm, cool, and collected no matter how bad it starts.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Haven't seen the Beavers, but I'm curious how you think their big man compares to Sims from UT.

One thing I've loved so far this weekend is seeing some really nifty big men that most of us have never heard of. The dude from Eastern Washington, Loyola, etc... Fun to see some crafty upperclassmen have their day against high profile guys.
He’s big but he’s got slow feet. He’s 7’1” but only averages 4 boards a game. Just need to turn it into a track meet and he won’t be on the court.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
I think what is going to help us tonight and against Loyola if we get that far is these Pokes don’t get frustrated. You could tell by Illinois’ body language they weren’t coming back in that game. These young men are always calm, cool, and collected no matter how bad it starts.
I think that has become a learned trait from all of the close games we've played

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

Think in football terms

Wait...No I don't!

From what I saw of their game against Tennessee, he’s nothing like Sims. Sims is quick and athletic, scoring off lobs and good in transition. But, still heavy enough to cause us rebounding issues.

This guy is a slower footed guy that is more of a back to the basket player. I’m more worried about his presence on defense. I’m hoping we can get him in foul trouble with our quick and agile bigs. He doesn’t play a ton of minutes per game, so a quick pace would also keep him off the court more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk