Loyal & True. Cowboy Basketball 20’-21’ Season Ends in a Second Round Exit against Oregon State. Pokes Finish 21-9 Overall. Proud and Immortal #NewEra

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Welcome to March Madness. This thread will be the continuation of the Pokes tournament progress. Cowboys survive Round of 64 against the Liberty flames. Catch the highlights: https://youtu.be/a5cldup-Qek

On Sunday, Cowboys will be facing Oregon State from the PAC-12 @ 8:40 PM on TBS. Oregon State blitzed through Tennessee in their matchup.

Last edited:

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Here’s the first four teams playing.
1. UCLA vs Michigan State
2. Drake vs Wichita State
3. Texas Southern vs Mount St Mary’s
4. App State vs Norfolk St

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
We made it boys! Cowboys will be playing Liberty this Friday. Upon looking at this Liberty team....they kinda remind me of K-State. They are a very discipline team, not too athletic but can shoot really well. They are in the top 10 for shooting threes. Fun fact, Pokes have never played Liberty before in basketball. This tournament is already historic.

Liberty hails from the Atlantic Sun Conference. They are the Sun conferences regular season and tournament champions finishing out at 23-5.

Liberty had 4 Power 6 matchups in their season this year. Their games were against Purdue, Mississippi State, Missouri, and...TCU. They lost every game aside from MSU.

However, I believe we match up extremely well against them. This is just a simple case of jimmy and Joe’s. Our guys are much bigger, stronger...and maybe faster. This doesn’t mean much in MARCH MADNESS where any one game can be anyone’s game.

Go POKES! Beat LIBERTY
They also beat South Carolina 78-62, so 2-3 vs P5

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Also also. Can’t wait for the Pokes game tomorrow, but need to kill time? I highly suggest watching the new JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max, comes with the the subscription. How’s this on topic? I think our starting five is a lot like the leagues starting five.

Guess who Cunningham is

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
The Athletic has been running a really interesting series called Bracket Busters. Essentially, they analyze the statistical makeup of previous NCAA tournament upsets (games with at least 5 seeds of separation), find common indicators in those matchups, and create a statistical model to predict possible upsets in this year's tournament.

According to their model, they give Liberty a 12% chance at winning.

I'm not sure what the board's policy is regarding pay-walled content, but I thought I'd post a snippet of the article.

"As we’ve also mentioned, successful longshots must build possessions, which means they tend to aggressively pursue turnovers and offensive rebounds. Liberty has exactly the opposite combination: They protect the ball well, but force turnovers on just 17.3 percent of opponent possessions, ranking 267th in the NCAA. And they collect a lot of defensive rebounds, but only 23.2 percent of their own missed shots, ranking 298th. That’s a style built for safety, aiming to squash inferior opponents by preventing them from ever going on long runs.

"Further, Oklahoma State, which ranks 58th in offensive rebounding (OR) percentage, does amass possessions. The Cowboys nabbed 15 offensive rebounds in a game six times this season; Liberty had 16 OR combined against Purdue, Missouri and TCU. Oklahoma State happens to be weak in exactly the areas The Flames are ill-equipped to exploit: keeping the ball and allowing opponents second chances. Liberty’s aerial attack does make for an effective catapult, but Oklahoma State limits foes to an effective field-goal percentage of just 47.2 percent."

https://theathletic.com/2457820/202...-in-midwest-region?source=user-shared-article

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
Figured I'd put this on the official game thread too

Here's what I'm being told.......
I don't know much about basketball, so, this is from a source that does.

Liberty plays a style that has the potential to be kryptonite to how we score.

They play pack line defense.

That means they set up to be good at getting back in transition and limiting our transition points and forcing us to make jump shots to score.

Not that we can't do that, but that's not the world we've lived in offensively for the most part.

So... they have a style that has the potential to force us to play in a way we haven't had to.

On offense, they will work the clock and give a lot of motion that has nothing to do with the play just simply to wear our defenders down.

Our defenders will have to chase motion for 20 seconds on average every possession.

Then, after that, will have to make a jump shot on the other end to score.

At the end of the possession, after they've forced us to chase, they will shoot a bunch of threes.

They are top five in the country in three point field goals made and three point percentage.

There is nothing more demoralizing than chasing motion for 20-25 seconds only to see the other team hit a three at the end of the possession.

Between that, and not being able to get to the rim off the dribble, that could really frustrate our young guys.

Then again, we could overwhelm them with our athleticism and size and make it easier on ourselves.

It will be interesting to see which one happens, where we overwhelm them with size and athleticism, or, whether their style makes the game tough on us.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Figured I'd put this on the official game thread too

Here's what I'm being told.......
I don't know much about basketball, so, this is from a source that does.

Liberty plays a style that has the potential to be kryptonite to how we score.

They play pack line defense.

That means they set up to be good at getting back in transition and limiting our transition points and forcing us to make jump shots to score.

Not that we can't do that, but that's not the world we've lived in offensively for the most part.

So... they have a style that has the potential to force us to play in a way we haven't had to.

On offense, they will work the clock and give a lot of motion that has nothing to do with the play just simply to wear our defenders down.

Our defenders will have to chase motion for 20 seconds on average every possession.

Then, after that, will have to make a jump shot on the other end to score.

At the end of the possession, after they've forced us to chase, they will shoot a bunch of threes.

They are top five in the country in three point field goals made and three point percentage.

There is nothing more demoralizing than chasing motion for 20-25 seconds only to see the other team hit a three at the end of the possession.

Between that, and not being able to get to the rim off the dribble, that could really frustrate our young guys.

Then again, we could overwhelm them with our athleticism and size and make it easier on ourselves.

It will be interesting to see which one happens, where we overwhelm them with size and athleticism, or, whether their style makes the game tough on us.
This is all correct. Liberty wants to play the exact opposite of OSU.

They want to play very slow and methodical and bury teams with 3's. Fortunately for OSU, Liberty isn't a good rebounding team so there should be plenty of opportunities to run off of missed shots and clean up the offensive glass.

Whoever dictates the pace will likely win. I think OSU has much better chance at asserting their style of play than Liberty does, but I am somewhat concerned.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
I think three years ago Wofford ran Seton Hall out of the gym with their 3 point shooting. Here’s to hoping that doesn’t happen with Liberty. Granted, Wofford was quite a bit better than Seton Hall that year and shot 43% from three compared to Liberty’s 39% this year. Still, Seton Hall had Myles Powell who averaged 23 ppg that year.

Not saying Liberty is on the same level as that Wofford team, but point being the mid major schools are going to be relaxed because they don’t have the pressure on them and if they get hot from 3 it’s going to be battle to come out on top. We just need to play good perimeter defense as many have said. Need to feed KB in the paint. Need Ice, Cade, and Avery to consistently drive to the rim. I think we play our best when we have no more than 15 attempts from behind the arc.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
not at all thrilled with first round match up...I can see us getting beat by liberty and/or I can also see us going to Final Four...

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
not at all thrilled with first round match up...I can see us getting beat by liberty and/or I can also see us going to Final Four...
I just get the feeling that the boys are going to feel disrespected and motivated and are going to run Liberty and Tennesse/Oregon State out of the gym. Ice is a week healthier and has some games under his belt. Sweet 16 or bust!

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Michael Weathers and Texas Southern trying to hold onto to the win over MSM
They got the win. He tucks his shorts into the bottom of his compression shorts.
Looks like 70's short shorts. :lol:

This would have been his Senior year at OSU. He was on track to a good player for us. Was averaging 9.2pts/g when he was kicked off the team.

I forgot he got into trouble TWICE. I remembered the BB gun, but forgot the wallet incident at JR Murphy's.