Lordy, add St. Peters Sweet 16 to 17 long years and counting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
Nope. Florida Gulf Coast was a 15 seed that went to the Sweet 16 in 2013. They also went to the NCAA in 2016 and 2017. Their coach left in 2018 and they haven’t returned since.

Aww, that’s a cute straw man you built. I never said middle of the pack is my standard. I mentioned this is while we’re dealing with NCAA penalties. I expect more going forward.
Said FGC coach, whose wife is an Okstate fan, has won 7 tournament games. He almost brought USC back in the last seconds this year. Really wish we could have landed him.

Nov 18, 2010
St. Peters has a legitimate 'up and coming' coach. #15 seed at a tiny school nobody's heard of and they just made it to the elite 8. It wasn't a fluke. Watching these guys--they run a structured offense, everyone on the floor knows their role, and what they need to do. Oh, and they hit their free throws at the end to finish off the win.

Oct 29, 2016
US
St. Peters has a legitimate 'up and coming' coach. #15 seed at a tiny school nobody's heard of and they just made it to the elite 8. It wasn't a fluke. Watching these guys--they run a structured offense, everyone on the floor knows their role, and what they need to do. Oh, and they hit their free throws at the end to finish off the win.
Yes sir. Not one person on St Peters roster had a recruiting profile. It's obvious that every player on St Peter's roster were criminally underrated and under-recruited. St Peter's coach put together a roster that executes offensive play-calling flawlessly, and a defense that is unbelievably effective considering how small St Peter's roster is.

If they continue to play like they've had the entire tournament thus far, they just may have an opportunity to advance to the final four, perhaps even the championship game. Outstanding offensive and defensive execution.. seriously, outstanding job St Peter's coaching staff have accomplished.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I'm envious how well St. Peter's moves the ball around. It looked like early on that if they couldn't match Purdue shot for shot, Purdue was going to bully them with their size. But they just make great pass after pass eventually finding a gap to score. I always assume that teams like this will have to live and die by the 3-ball, but wasn't the case for them.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Let's not get TOO carried away here. They are well coached and they are playing excellent basketball at the right time.

They also lost to Siena (2X), St Francis, Canisius, Iona (2X), Ryder, and finished second place in the MAAC. So, it's not like if they restarted the season tomorrow, St. Peter's would be some top ten team.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Theyre also the toughest team on the floor every game they’ve played this tournament. Not a soft player in the group.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think they meet in the final 4 and not the title game
I wrongly thought Duke would be facing Villanova and that UNC/SPU would be facing Kansas/Miami. Although, this likely guarantees that one of Duke or UNC is in the national title game.

I don't think UNC will miss all the open 3's that Purdue did.
I suspect you’ll be right on this, but it’s worth noting that St. Peter’s also pulled that Purdue game out in a night when they couldn’t hit a three to save their life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Hubert Davis is either the best coach in the country or the real Saint peters showed up today. Some of you guys need to take some serious steps back from the ledge. The tournament is crazy.

Past about 9th grade sports, the better team doesn’t always win. Doesn’t mean anything about their players or coach.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Hubert Davis is either the best coach in the country or the real Saint peters showed up today. Some of you guys need to take some serious steps back from the ledge. The tournament is crazy.

Past about 9th grade sports, the better team doesn’t always win. Doesn’t mean anything about their players or coach.
Isn't this the whole point of what makes March Madness a little more endearing than college football? The fact that an undersized, less talented team can make a run knocking off bluebloods or other schools with much more money & access to recruiting talent? People are drawn to underdogs, especially against the bluebloods. I'm especially motivated to root against any of the bluebloods in this tournament as several of those programs likely have infractions as bad or worse than OSU and will end up getting off with a light slap on the wrist.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Some notes from the weekend. Villanova now has 7 final four appearances passing our total of 6. Arkansas and Houston are also sitting at 6 so they could have moved to 7 as well/instead. Would like to see us at least have a shot at #7 before I die.