Looking for advice for yet another computer

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Sometimes it feels like I go through computers faster than a box of crackers.

Spend most of my working hours at home, on the computer. Most of my work is done on Word, Excel, Adobe, various picture managers, Google Earth, an old version of AutoCad and of course, the internet where I would guess I can go to over 100 sites a day depending on the complexity of the assignment. I can have a dozen programs open at any one time. Up until now, my deliverables were PDFs of reports, charts, tables, photos, etc. created from the above. Recently, a firm I do a lot of work with has rolled out a streaming platform where information is loaded in directly instead, so it is running all day.

Problem is, when the client platform is open, everything becomes painstakingly slow and my picture editors frequently crash. My last two machines went black approximately 4-5 years after purchase, and shortly after the picture editors started crashing so I feel this one will soon follow the same path.

I know just enough about computers to have a conversation with an 8 year old and that is it. Not interested in making mods to my existing equipment because I need plug-and-play....and I would rather be golfing, drinking or smoking a cigar instead of dinking around with a computer.

Would like to spend less than $1k.

Currently have a Lenovo with i5-6400 processor, 8 GB of RAM. Only bought it four years ago (manufactured about four months before I bought it).

Any thoughts about this? Seems to at least double everything I currently have but again, I do not know shit about computer tech talk and just assume the bigger the number....it has to be better, right?

Picture1.png

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments or other recommendations.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Add in a dedicated graphics card somehow and you should be fine. Keep the same on memory and skimp a little on CPU if you need to keep the cost at the same level.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
Add in a dedicated graphics card somehow and you should be fine. Keep the same on memory and skimp a little on CPU if you need to keep the cost at the same level.

I appreciate the input. I saw in a thread started by RX that discussed graphics cards. What exactly do they do? Could the lack of one have anything to do with the picture editor programs crashing?

Thanks.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond

Spend most of my working hours at home, on the computer. Most of my work is done on Word, Excel, Adobe, various picture managers, Google Earth, an old version of AutoCad and of course, the internet where I would guess I can go to over 100 sites a day depending on the complexity of the assignment. I can have a dozen programs open at any one time. Up until now, my deliverables were PDFs of reports, charts, tables, photos, etc. created from the above. Recently, a firm I do a lot of work with has rolled out a streaming platform where information is loaded in directly instead, so it is running all day.

Problem is, when the client platform is open, everything becomes painstakingly slow and my picture editors frequently crash. My last two machines went black approximately 4-5 years after purchase, and shortly after the picture editors started crashing so I feel this one will soon follow the same path.

I know just enough about computers to have a conversation with an 8 year old and that is it. Not interested in making mods to my existing equipment because I need plug-and-play....and I would rather be golfing, drinking or smoking a cigar instead of dinking around with a computer.

Currently have a Lenovo with i5-6400 processor, 8 GB of RAM. Only bought it four years ago (manufactured about four months before I bought it).

Any thoughts about this? Seems to at least double everything I currently have but again, I do not know shit about computer tech talk and just assume the bigger the number....it has to be better, right?

View attachment 90079

I just bought my son a new laptop that fits the bill for the most part.

Lenovo Legion 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop 144Hz Ryzen 7-4800H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD GTX 1660 Ti 6GB - AMD Ryzen 7-4800H Octa-core - 144 Hz Refresh Rate - antonline.com

Lenovo Legion 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop 144Hz Ryzen 7-4800H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD GTX 1660 Ti 6GB - AMD Ryzen 7-4800H Octa-core - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB - 144 Hz Refresh Rate - In-plane Switching (IPS) Technology - Windows 10 Home

As a old guy , I kept trying to use the touch screen that was not there since it had a graphics card.

Aug 16, 2012

Lenovo Legion 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop 144Hz Ryzen 7-4800H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD GTX 1660 Ti 6GB - AMD Ryzen 7-4800H Octa-core - 144 Hz Refresh Rate - antonline.com

Lenovo Legion 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop 144Hz Ryzen 7-4800H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD GTX 1660 Ti 6GB - AMD Ryzen 7-4800H Octa-core - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB - 144 Hz Refresh Rate - In-plane Switching (IPS) Technology - Windows 10 Home

As a old guy , I kept trying to use the touch screen that was not there since it had a graphics card.
What I can recognize, I like. Have read about cooling issues with laptops that run constantly. BS put out by tower guys?

Did not mention, but I run two screens. Any of that tech data let me know if I can do that without an obnoxious docking station?

Oct 30, 2007

View attachment 90079

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/new-xps-desktop/spd/xps-8940-desktop/xd8940msr30h

This Dell XPS desktop is roughly what I use for my workstation. I use it for AutoCAD Civil3D and various modeling programs, so something with similar specs should work for you.

Graphics cards or GPU's are the hardware responsible for rendering what you see on your monitor. Regular cards will work for most people, but they aren't adequate for higher end programs and gaming. I agree with wrenhal that you'll want a good one for what you're doing.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
If you want to leave apps open, the biggest thing for you is memory. 8GB just won't cut it. I would not buy a computer with less than 16GB. I have 40, and it wasn't that expensive to upgrade. If you are doing graphics intensive work, then yes, I would recommend a graphics card, but probably an older or 2nd tier one, as new graphics cards are like gold these days.

Aug 16, 2012
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/new-xps-desktop/spd/xps-8940-desktop/xd8940msr30h

This Dell XPS desktop is roughly what I use for my workstation. I use it for AutoCAD Civil3D and various modeling programs, so something with similar specs should work for you.

Graphics cards or GPU's are the hardware responsible for rendering what you see on your monitor. Regular cards will work for most people, but they aren't adequate for higher end programs and gaming. I agree with wrenhal that you'll want a good one for what you're doing.
My son who is in to computers recommended this one too. Thanks for the GPU clarification.

Aug 16, 2012
If you want to leave apps open, the biggest thing for you is memory. 8GB just won't cut it. I would not buy a computer with less than 16GB. I have 40, and it wasn't that expensive to upgrade. If you are doing graphics intensive work, then yes, I would recommend a graphics card, but probably an older or 2nd tier one, as new graphics cards are like gold these days.
Thanks. Will put this into the equation also!!

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

View attachment 90079

Just so you know you can have a gaming laptop with a touch screen. Has nothing to do with the graphics card.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

What I can recognize, I like. Have read about cooling issues with laptops that run constantly. BS put out by tower guys?

Did not mention, but I run two screens. Any of that tech data let me know if I can do that without an obnoxious docking station?
There's an HDMI port so you can run the laptop as one screen and then have a secondary screen running off of it.

For clarification on things, my son ran a gaming laptop as his main workstation with dual monitors coming off of it when he was finishing his last year of architecture. So lots of graphic intensive software and it worked perfectly fine for him no overheating.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

Multiple times I’ve tried to shrink or expand words on a magazine with my fingers. Anyone else?