List of Eddie Sutton Transfer players

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 6, 2013
Doug
Tony Allen
Daniel Bobik
Brooks Thompson
Joey Graham
Stephen Graham
John Lucas 3
Victor Williams
and 9 others...

These are the types who can propel your program towards the top of the Big XII their first year here. Not skinny freshmen like DeMuth, or even Mike Cunningham...

Aug 16, 2012
Doug
Tony Allen
Daniel Bobik
Brooks Thompson
Joey Graham
Stephen Graham
John Lucas 3
Victor Williams
and 9 others...

These are the types who can propel your program towards the top of the Big XII their first year here. Not skinny freshmen like DeMuth, or even Mike Cunningham...
You keep missing the point. Back then, we had a legendary coach, recent sustained success including deep tournament runs, and game nights were SRO. Kids would bang down the door for a chance. Now? Let us just say all of those things noted above....are non-existent at this time and if there were JUCO kids worth picking up....they have already been picked up by someone else.

This program has a long way to go to regain the prestige, reputation, swagger it once had and that is not going to happen overnight. What was "supposed" to happen this year, we were actually a hair ahead of expectations, then the implosion. This season is lost and I would rather give our long-term kids all the PT they can handle to secure the future as opposed to bring in a short-timer for modest gains. The kids we had, with the kids next year, that was the core of a well-rounded team.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Wondering how many here would throw a fit if we brought in a Doug today with the history he had? Or if they would be saying he's another Weathers type kid that got kicked out of a big time program?

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Wondering how many here would throw a fit if we brought in a Doug today with the history he had? Or if they would be saying he's another Weathers type kid that got kicked out of a big time program?
"throws flag" ----15 yard penalty.

honestly... comparing Doug to repeat offender Weathers.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Weathers was not a repeat offender the first time. Neither was Doug. But at least half the people on this board wanted to send Weathers to Gitmo after his first offense.

I'm not arguing about who transferred in with what baggage. I'm simply pointing out that some on this board would have been against them. And any second chance. And for the record I'm a huge Doug fan and would have been happy if he got the job.

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Weathers was not a repeat offender the first time. Neither was Doug. But at least half the people on this board wanted to send Weathers to Gitmo after his first offense.

I'm not arguing about who transferred in with what baggage. I'm simply pointing out that some on this board would have been against them. And any second chance. And for the record I'm a huge Doug fan and would have been happy if he got the job.
I don't really know what you're saying. Weathers transferred from Miami, OH with no baggage, and proceeded to be a repeat offender at OSU getting booted from the team. Doug came in as a transfer with baggage and proceeded to be a stand-up citizen.

Both got a 2nd chance with OSU. I think the only real difference is the availability and negative proclivity of social media.

Doug got an offer to Ga Tech, but was rescinded when word eventually got around about his theft. Almost nobody at OSU knew about his transgressions (because not a lot of social media).

"Fortunately, I had an amazing opportunity to play for another coaching legend, Eddie Sutton, at Oklahoma State. When I got to campus in the fall of 1997, I was relieved to discover that barely anyone outside of the coaches knew about what I had done at Notre Dame. It was a fresh start. I had a terrific career in Stillwater."
https://theathletic.com/236536/2018/02/12/gottlieb-the-mistakes-i-made-and-the-price-i-paid/

I can tell my kids from experience that it’s important to know right from wrong, that if you do the wrong thing, you’re probably going to get caught, and there’s a good chance that because of social media it will follow you forever.

Not a week goes by that someone doesn’t send me a tweet or a message calling me a credit card thief.

I’d be lying if I said I loved it. I did a lot of stuff before, and I’ve done a lot of stuff since. I don’t understand how some people can live so far in the past, especially when it’s not their past. It’s been 22 years. Whatever the statute of limitations is on college-age stupidity, I believe I have exceeded it. But I understand there are many people who will never let me forget. That’s reality.

Oct 30, 2007
During Eddie Sutton era, there were SIGNIFICANT transferred in and insignificant transferred out.

Now we are seeing significant transferred out and insignificant transferred in.
My memory is getting fuzzy. What significant players have we had transfer out on their own accord?

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
During Eddie Sutton era, there were SIGNIFICANT transferred in and insignificant transferred out.

Now we are seeing significant transferred out and insignificant transferred in.
Uhhh...they're transferring because they couldn't commit to Coach B's standards, not because they simply didn't like playing there or weren't getting playing time.

Oct 30, 2007
why does it have to be "of their own accord"? Calloo has transferred to Cleveland State, for example.
The post I quoted made it sound like significant players were clamoring to join our basketball program during the Sutton era, and significant players are clamoring to leave the program now. It sucks to lose a talented player like Stevie Clark, but you're better off cutting someone like that loose. Transfers like that are probably more of a reflection of poor character evaluation than players simply wanting to leave the program.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
BS... you just made that up.

it has nothing to do with context.... that wasn't even part of the discussion.
Really? So adding the CONTEXT that Calloo transferred *BECAUSE HE WAS KICKED OFF THE TEAM*...you know, not because he simply wanted to go play somewhere else, shouldn't be mentioned?

Does someone need to be reminded of what "context" means?

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
The post I quoted made it sound like significant players were clamoring to join our basketball program during the Sutton era, and significant players are clamoring to leave the program now. It sucks to lose a talented player like Stevie Clark, but you're better off cutting someone like that loose. Transfers like that are probably more of a reflection of poor character evaluation than players simply wanting to leave the program.
Clark wasn't an Eddie player (as I'm sure that you're aware).

I don't know what "significant players" means, and frankly HCMB hasn't had much time to be judged, but Eddie had a hard time keeping bigs around (Jason Keep, Jack Marlow, Onye Ibekwe, Tremaine Fuqua, etc... then there was that whole Roderick Flemings, Torre Johnson mess...

Eddie just seemed to have a knack for finding missing pieces to the team, and getting what he needed out of the guys on the team.

Boynton may have similar ability, but he's been dealt a pretty tough hand to begin his tenure.

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Really? So adding the CONTEXT that Calloo transferred *BECAUSE HE WAS KICKED OFF THE TEAM*...you know, not because he simply wanted to go play somewhere else, shouldn't be mentioned?

Does someone need to be reminded of what "context" means?
no... somebody needs to slap you up the backside of your thick head and knock some sense into you (like Gibbs does to Dinozo on NCIS)

mention it if you want I don't think it changes the discussion - kicked off, wanted to transfer, "forced" to transfer... doesn't much matter.... it's all pretty much semantics. For example Gottlieb was not so much "clamoring to get to OSU", we were basically his only decent offer after GaTech rescinded.

Sep 23, 2010
Transfers will need to be a part of this program to fill gaps. But I like the way Boynton is beginning to recruit. If he can continually land top 50-150 players, then he's doing a good job in the recruiting game. Yor and Likekele are bonuses in my mind. It's hard to get good HS players with less than a year into the recruiting game. Boynton will be successful because of his work ethic. And we are now seeing the benefit of his work with relationships with coaches, sophomores, and juniors with recent commitments and signees.

With our freshmen group, I would still like to see an experienced guard (JC or Grad Transfer) and big (JC or transfer) in lieu of taking on Demuth type talent. But with Demuth, I never thought Solomon was going to be much and he worked himself into being a good player. We will see if Duncan can do the same. I see the other Boone twin being a developmental player like Demuth, and we only need one of those per year.