Library Design

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 1, 2011
tx
I think unless I am turned around this is the West Elevation. On the 3D fly around it was turned where the entrance was looking at the library.

Jun 27, 2018
okc
I would like to see them one day replace Thatcher (keep the trees on the east side), with a beautiful building. Turn the parking lot into a large green space with a fountain. Then, I'd like to see them tear out Athletic Avenue and make it into a large tree lined walk way.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Does anyone else think this library annex looks like the ugly music school at OU?
It was an old grocery store that was taken over because it had places to parks busses when they started the bus service and a big empty building for storage and work space. The purpose was not pretty but useful, very needed and cheap and useful to several OSU entities.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2007
Mckinney, TX
Maybe I’ve already had too much to drink on Friday evening, but I laugh at the “architects” on this site bitching about the look. I’ll play my card. I’m a structural engineer in Texas. All of us engineers laugh at the goofy crap you architects try to do. It’s amazing the difference between “art” and what can actually be supported and designed on a budget.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Does anyone else think this library annex looks like the ugly music school at OU?
It was an old grocery store that was taken over because it had places to parks busses when they started the bus service and a big empty building for storage and work space. The purpose was not pretty but useful, very needed and cheap and useful to several OSU entities.
Wrong annex. The one he's talking about is on Hall of Fame next to the new Information Technology building. Right before the curve to become Western.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
No, this Edmon Low Library annex...

OU's ugly law school

OU's ugly music school

Every new building on UCO's campus

It's just super generic, and not a very well-executed addition for an iconic Georgian campus. It's more butchered gothic a la UCO/OU.

Maybe I’ve already had too much to drink on Friday evening, but I laugh at the “architects” on this site bitching about the look. I’ll play my card. I’m a structural engineer in Texas. All of us engineers laugh at the goofy crap you architects try to do. It’s amazing the difference between “art” and what can actually be supported and designed on a budget.
This is a very engineer thing to say. You're a practical, but unimaginative bunch. I believe remarkable planning and design has helped make OSU the special place it is.

Last edited:

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Much better than what is there now, but as an architect, it lacks a sense of entry that is typical of Georgian architecture in my opinion. Have placed the hierarchy on the corners which is generally different than the rest of the original marquee campus buildings but with the linear colonnade that reflects the stepped-back motif of the other three buildings facing the quad and tying it into the existing building with the glass planes, accenting the corners pretty much becomes necessary. Does not need to be strict Georgian, but would still like to see them play up the center more if possible. Again, IMO, it is much better than it was. Have to compliment Nigel Jones (campus architect) on the selection of the team. PGAV has a strong track record with libraries while the associate architect, Studio Architects, also did the Architecture Building expansion 13 years ago.

edit---Appears Nigel has retired, but an old classmate of mine, Jana (Brown) Phillips is now the Campus Architect.
As a contractor, I think you are just using big words and making crap up.

:p

Why can't we just stick with the traditional Georgian architecture that is historically the standard for our campus? It's beautiful and maintaining the theme throughout looks so much better than the mismatched "modernized" garbage. Sadly, our beautiful campus is going the way of OU's hideous mix.

Aug 2, 2011
Why can't every building look like Library, Student Union, Willard, Stout, Murray etc....

They are traditional and lovely

New AG design is disappointing to me. New Business looks like the old buildings but its a horsehoe (don't really understand that).

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
No, this Edmon Low Library annex...

OU's ugly law school

OU's ugly music school

Every new building on UCO's campus

It's just super generic, and not a very well-executed addition for an iconic Georgian campus. It's more butchered gothic a la UCO/OU.

This is a very engineer thing to say. You're a practical, but unimaginative bunch. I believe remarkable planning and design has helped make OSU the special place it is.
I honestly thought you were talking about the existing one. This one below.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk