Library Design

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Much better than what is there now, but as an architect, it lacks a sense of entry that is typical of Georgian architecture in my opinion. Have placed the hierarchy on the corners which is generally different than the rest of the original marquee campus buildings but with the linear colonnade that reflects the stepped-back motif of the other three buildings facing the quad and tying it into the existing building with the glass planes, accenting the corners pretty much becomes necessary. Does not need to be strict Georgian, but would still like to see them play up the center more if possible. Again, IMO, it is much better than it was. Have to compliment Nigel Jones (campus architect) on the selection of the team. PGAV has a strong track record with libraries while the associate architect, Studio Architects, also did the Architecture Building expansion 13 years ago.

edit---Appears Nigel has retired, but an old classmate of mine, Jana (Brown) Phillips is now the Campus Architect.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Also as an architect, what is your opinion of the Business Building?
Not quoted, but assume that was directed at me?

Honestly, a nice building and laudable effort at blending classical Georgian elements with a progressive design but far from great IMO. I could write a thesis on my opinion, but I would need to understand more of the design philosophy to judge the aesthetics and functionality on a criteria of just how it looks and sits within its surroundings. I have questions about its placement and repetitive architectural features, and the "celebrated" entrance faces a parking lot. But as you have heard, opinions are like....well, you know the rest, and after having a handful of posts recently deleted for use of innocuous curse words, no need to tempt fate.

Aug 2, 2011
I thought the parking lot behind business was one day going to become a grass quad? Like way down the road

That may be why the "celebrated" entrance is facing that way?

Just a thought

Jan 1, 2011
tx
I am an architect in Texas and a alum of OSU as you are. I find (personal opinion): 3 story ill proportioned columns, no space on the façade for the eye to get a visual rest, small windows spaced too close together, with small dormers aligned on the roof, oh on the end lets put a large window, what else can we do. . . oh lets put some holes in the roof. looks like a 2nd year design student was given free rein. The crowning Cowboy idea. . . a Horseshoe floor plan! Long ago I saw a very good design for a much larger facility. I assume they had to cut the scope down for financial reasons.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
I am an architect in Texas and a alum of OSU as you are. I find (personal opinion): 3 story ill proportioned columns, no space on the façade for the eye to get a visual rest, small windows spaced too close together, with small dormers aligned on the roof, oh on the end lets put a large window, what else can we do. . . oh lets put some holes in the roof. looks like a 2nd year design student was given free rein. The crowning Cowboy idea. . . a Horseshoe floor plan! Long ago I saw a very good design for a much larger facility. I assume they had to cut the scope down for financial reasons.
Hopefully it came through but I was trying to temper my response and give some credence to the design possibly having program criteria that I was unaware. I agree completely with your assessment, especially the 2nd year comment. There are basically three exterior wall sections to the building so the CDs should have been a cinch to draw up.

Aug 16, 2012
I agree that this looks a little bit more UCO or OU than OSU. I wish they'd spend a little more to get it right.

Should've hired Rand instead of PGAV...
Looks to me like PGAV addressed more of the interior programming/design while Studio handled more of the exterior. You can see a lot of similar design queues between this and the other work Studio has done on campus.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
Not quoted, but assume that was directed at me?

Honestly, a nice building and laudable effort at blending classical Georgian elements with a progressive design but far from great IMO. I could write a thesis on my opinion, but I would need to understand more of the design philosophy to judge the aesthetics and functionality on a criteria of just how it looks and sits within its surroundings. I have questions about its placement and repetitive architectural features, and the "celebrated" entrance faces a parking lot. But as you have heard, opinions are like....well, you know the rest, and after having a handful of posts recently deleted for use of innocuous curse words, no need to tempt fate.
I had two posts recently deleted becuase of "curse words," honestly cannot even remember cursing on the message board, I make an effort to not because you never know if it will offend someone.

Aug 16, 2012
I had two posts recently deleted becuase of "curse words," honestly cannot even remember cursing on the message board, I make an effort to not because you never know if it will offend someone.
I use them from time to time but do so from an emphasis standpoint, not from an attack/derogatory perspective, usually h e double hockey sticks, or maybe a homonym for a large water-retaining structure. Found it odd that the posts were a couple months old. Oh well. I will watch my language.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
I use them from time to time but do so from an emphasis standpoint, not from an attack/derogatory perspective, usually h e double hockey sticks, or maybe a homonym for a large water-retaining structure. Found it odd that the posts were a couple months old. Oh well. I will watch my language.
Ahh yes the water-retaining structure may have been my downfall :rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2012
https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/l...cle_cf017108-b852-5990-9b0d-e971f1814cbf.html
This was all I could find of the earlier design. The one I was referring to was a 3D fly around and was a a little bit better design that this one IMO. Although this one isn't too bad IMO.
At first glance, maybe they thought it would be too similar to the Architecture Building that was being constructed right about this time. But it does have the center mass hierarchy, human-scale columns, a design break on sides of the center mass and limited the use of dormers. Still needs a few tweaks, but I do like this better. Presuming this is the east elevation so it might be the quad landscaping mentioned by @GoPokes150. Still do not understand putting its back to the central pedestrian spine through campus and facing one of the least-utilized buildings on campus. Would have been nice to put something like this centered on the E/W walkway back towards Knoblock, keep the plaza but put a nice addition on the back of Morrill to communicate with the quad and figure out some way to get rid of the ugly GenEd building.