Leaving ATT for Verizon

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Looking to move cell service to Verizon. Largely due to ATT coverage at our home is very poor. Looking for input on people’s good and bad experiences with Verizon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Looking to move cell service to Verizon. Largely due to ATT coverage at our home is very poor. Looking for input on people’s good and bad experiences with Verizon.

8 years with Verizon. It's expensive but we always have more reliable service than anyone else we travel with, including when having traveled internationally.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

8 years with Verizon. It's expensive but we always have more reliable service than anyone else we travel with, including when having traveled internationally.
Thanks Psych.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

AT&T usually had good coverage most places I go. But I will admit that the times I don't have service, if anyone does, it's a Verizon customer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

AT&T usually had good coverage most places I go. But I will admit that the times I don't have service, if anyone does, it's a Verizon customer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Thanks wrenhal that has been my experience as well as an ATT customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

I'm actually considering leaving Verizon and trying Google Fi. Verizon service has been fine for me but my reception sucks at work and at home (which is where I spend 90% of my time...). Everywhere in between is fine somehow though. At home I do have wifi that I'm on, but when something happens like the power going out, it really sucks to have a lousy data connection. And I know people will say "that's the just bc the bandwidth is clogged from everyone else using data" but another instance was trying to keep up with one of our games one year while we were trick or treating in our neighborhood. I had to try and peek at the score through peoples doors because my connection was so lousy I couldn't even get a live score update, let alone stream the game. I know my experience isn't the same as many though.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
For context... Here's my reception right now. In the the top of a 2 story office, on top of a hill, within just a few miles of downtown OKC...
1633978520501.png

Mar 11, 2006
I'm actually considering leaving Verizon and trying Google Fi. Verizon service has been fine for me but my reception sucks at work and at home (which is where I spend 90% of my time...). Everywhere in between is fine somehow though. At home I do have wifi that I'm on, but when something happens like the power going out, it really sucks to have a lousy data connection. And I know people will say "that's the just bc the bandwidth is clogged from everyone else using data" but another instance was trying to keep up with one of our games one year while we were trick or treating in our neighborhood. I had to try and peek at the score through peoples doors because my connection was so lousy I couldn't even get a live score update, let alone stream the game. I know my experience isn't the same as many though.
Google Fi utilizes the T-Mobile/Sprint network. My wife and daughters have T-Mobile and I have Verizon. Honestly, we rarely notice a difference between T-Mobile and Verizon.

I think AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon networks are fairly similar. If you view Root Networks reports, a company that constantly scans the wireless networks and surveys coverage and data speed. Verizon is still tops, but it’s lead is insignificant. T-Mobile has definitely improved their coverage with the merger of Sprint.

I would go with the best plan for your money and not worry about the carrier.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
US
Do you require unlimited data? If so, Google Fi is not the provider you need. Unless they've changed their plans in the past three months, Fi's "unlimited data" is falsified advertising. I figured after 22 GB, data speed would slow down depending on network congestion. Instead, data was complete useless, as it permanently slowed to 128kps until next cycle began. Beware of Google Fi, specifically if you use more than 22GB a month. Again, Google may have changed their unlimited data plan, so I'd definitely call their customer service to clarify their "unlimited data" plan. They should just tell people their data speed becomes absolutely useless after 22 GB. 22 GB is nothing in today's world.

Edit: I checked Google Fi and they still do the 22GB nonsense. Their page says data is slowed, but they do not mention that data speeds slow down so much that it would take 10 mins just to load a page. I would stay away from Google Fi.. it's a scam, especially since they're robbing people of $70 a month for the "unlimited data," which is not unlimited at all.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

Last edited:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Do you require unlimited data? If so, Google Fi is not the provider you need. Unless they've changed their plans in the past three months, Fi's "unlimited data" is falsified advertising. I figured after 22 GB, data speed would slow down depending on network congestion. Instead, data was complete useless, as it permanently slowed to 128kps until next cycle began. Beware of Google Fi, specifically if you use more than 22GB a month. Again, Google may have changed their unlimited data plan, so I'd definitely call their customer service to clarify their "unlimited data" plan. They should just tell people their data speed becomes absolutely useless after 22 GB. 22 GB is nothing in today's world.

Edit: I checked Google Fi and they still do the 22GB nonsense. Their page says data is slowed, but they do not mention that data speeds slow down so much that it would take 10 mins just to load a page. I would stay away from Google Fi.. it's a scam, especially since they're robbing people of $70 a month for the "unlimited data," which is not unlimited at all.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans/
My wife and I currently have a shared 10gb plan and typically only use about 8gb or so. Thanks for the heads up on that though.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
@SanditeCowboy, sorry for kinda hijacking your thread. lol. Verizon may be great for you, I've just personally had some issues lately with it. Could be that I have an older device (Pixel 2XL), could be that they're trying to force me into a more current plan but could also be that their service has declined in the areas that I'm most often in. I'm planning on getting a new phone later this year and will see if that fixes my issues. If not, I'll likely be looking elsewhere.

Oct 29, 2016
US
My wife and I currently have a shared 10gb plan and typically only use about 8gb or so. Thanks for the heads up on that though.
I'd give US Mobile a try. US Mobile uses Verizon, T,-Mobile and AT&T towers, except it's way more cheaper than any of those three despite using their towers. You can get an unlimited talk and text with 5GBs, for $15 a month.

https://www.usmobile.com/plans

Nov 23, 2010
I've been happy with T-Mobile in the Tulsa area. It is now much much better in rural areas as well. Verizon is still going to have the most coverage, but I'm not sure if the gap is large enough to justify the difference in cost.

Jul 9, 2004
After being with Verizon for 10 years , I'm actually thinking of switching to AT&T. I live in far north Edmond and my coverage is not great. You can see I have 2 bars this morning. Other times I have 1 bar. I originally switched to Verizon based on customer service. However, over the years, they are no better than AT&T in that regard. For me, I think coverage is a wash and customer service sucks industry wide. So at this point, value is nothing more than price.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
After being with Verizon for 10 years , I'm actually thinking of switching to AT&T. I live in far north Edmond and my coverage is not great. You can see I have 2 bars this morning. Other times I have 1 bar. I originally switched to Verizon based on customer service. However, over the years, they are no better than AT&T in that regard. For me, I think coverage is a wash and customer service sucks industry wide. So at this point, value is nothing more than price.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Well, glad to know it's not just me...