Kerr-Drummond being demolished

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
I love Kerr-Drummond. Lived there three years and worked there as an RA and as grad asst. during grad school. In other news building a new track/field site.

Regents move forward with construction projects on Oklahoma State University’s Stillwater, OKC campuses PDF | Print |
Friday, 13 April 2012 16:25
The OSU/A&M Board of Regents today approved the selection process to find an architect and a construction manager for a new residence hall on the Oklahoma State University-Stillwater campus.
The new facility is needed to replace the future loss of 1,100 beds in Kerr-Drummond Hall. After a thorough review, it has been determined that the 45-year-old high-rise dormitory should be demolished. The demolition will not occur any earlier than 2015 and will not happen until the new residence facility is in place. The new accommodations will provide 800-900 beds in modified traditional dormitory style buildings.
Regents also gave approval to begin the selection process for an engineering consultant and construction manager for a new track facility on the OSU-Stillwater campus. The facility will be built in the Athletic Village area north of Boone Pickens Stadium and will replace the Kaye Barrett Droke Track and Field Center built in 1972 and last updated in 1986.

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
$4 Million for a new parking garage at OKC-OSU. When will Oklahoma come kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and begin building public transportation so this kind of wastefulness will cease? Oh...wait - I forgot. Oklahoma is all about the oil business. Never mind.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
$4 Million for a new parking garage at OKC-OSU. When will Oklahoma come kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and begin building public transportation so this kind of wastefulness will cease? Oh...wait - I forgot. Oklahoma is all about the oil business. Never mind.
Because a parking garage at OSU Stillwater is necessary for the students who live in the res halls? Have you been to campus in the past decade?

Not to mention a lot was invested in the new MMTF in Stillwater.

Apr 14, 2011
Thank God, ugly, ugly, ugly buildings. Knock down Iba, the NRC, and Wentz and everything will be okay.
The NRC doesn't look nearly as bad now that they've built all the labs around it. They kind of blend it into the Georgian architecture around it. It is not my favorite building though.

Apr 14, 2011
My brother works in the OSU architectual and construction department (Long Range Design, I believe is what they call it) and he said that they are building a parking garage to the south of Wentz/Parker/Scott. Should be on it's way up soon, since they demoed some houses to make way for it about a year ago.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
The NRC doesn't look nearly as bad now that they've built all the labs around it. They kind of blend it into the Georgian architecture around it. It is not my favorite building though.
It is certainly last on my list of buildings to implode. It isn't so much that it is ugly, as the 60s-70s Eastern Bloc buildings are, as much as it looks dated and always will. The NRC is nice to walk into and I don't look at seething in hatred.

Part of my animosity of K-D comes from living in Lawton and starting my career at Cameron amidst the Shepler buildings which are twins of KD, at least the exterior. I thought when I left Lawton I was living those buildings behind, but in reality, I was just moving to see the originals.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
The parking garage to which I referred is in OKC...not Stillwater. Read the article.
I still don't understand why you're complaining. It's not like OSU-OKC is downtown or in any sort of central location. What sort of bus route do you propose to reach the campus since I highly doubt the students at OSU-OKC are concentrated in any locations (in fact I would bet many don't even live in OKC)?

Also, link to the article you're talking about? There's zero mention of OSU-OKC in the original post.

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
I still don't understand why you're complaining. It's not like OSU-OKC is downtown or in any sort of central location. What sort of bus route do you propose to reach the campus since I highly doubt the students at OSU-OKC are concentrated in any locations (in fact I would bet many don't even live in OKC)?

Also, link to the article you're talking about? There's zero mention of OSU-OKC in the original post.

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
Are you arguing my side of this discussion? The point is...there are no logical public transportation options from anywhere to anywhere in OKC. If OKC truly wants to be "big time" then a well-thought out and funded public transportation solution must be created. And apparently you are not reading the complete article. Do the work then attempt an intelligent retort. Oklahoma is in the grips of the O&G industry and efficent, modern public transportation is clearly not possible. How do you like your gas prices?

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Are you arguing my side of this discussion? The point is...there are no logical public transportation options from anywhere to anywhere in OKC. If OKC truly wants to be "big time" then a well-thought out and funded public transportation solution must be created. And apparently you are not reading the complete article. Do the work then attempt an intelligent retort. Oklahoma is in the grips of the O&G industry and efficent, modern public transportation is clearly not possible. How do you like your gas prices?
Which article? You ask me to read a whole article and then don't say which one.

Here I posted the link for myself.

https://news.okstate.edu/press-rele...oma-state-universitys-stillwater-okc-campuses

Was it that hard to do? Of course it wasn't.

"Big Time?" Thanks Traber.

I'm glad you're using a thread about the tearing down of KD to make a political statement about the state of Oklahoma. You can continue that here:

http://www.orangepower.com/forums/world-news-politics.22/

Also a final thing, when you hit the reply button and quote a post you can type after the quotes and only create one post as opposed to two. It's not that hard. I guess we should have a well funded message board education system to eliminate wasteful posting as well.

May 22, 2005
Behind Enemy Lines
And who is going to pay for it? Our taxes are too high already. Maybe the 0bamapuke could pay for it out of his stash. The oil and gas industry provides thousands of well-paying jobs for Oklahoma. We prefer not to become bankrupt like Kalifornia.

OStateMan

Banned
Banned
Feb 4, 2004
Vail, Colorado
They're gonna put a parking garage in where KD currently stands according to a source I have.
I certainly hope our campus architects consult Baylor officials because we all know that Baylor has the finest parking garages in this galaxy.

Baylor took the ball away from Texas Tech -- the inventor of the multi-level parking structure.

Orange Shadow

Banned
Banned
Oct 26, 2010
Highland Village, Texas
I was one of the first residents in Kerr-Drummond. I moved in when it first opened at the beginning of my junior year ('66-'67). Stayed in Room 807 for two years. The OSU band used to practice in that space before they cleared the land for K-D. Wow!...45 years! I know I'm old now.

kadune

What's a fish?
A/V Subscriber
Oct 4, 2008
Indiana
So are they actually saying they're going to build new towers and not just more of those pos apartment halls?
I don't think so. From what I heard (from the director of Res Life back in August) the new building(s) will be 5 stories. It'll be a slightly different layout from the current traditional halls -- same basic room style, but it'll be two rooms (4 people) to one bathroom.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Thank God, ugly, ugly, ugly buildings. Knock down Iba, the NRC, and Wentz and everything will be okay.
I am glad I am not the only one who wants the NECESSARY gone, it is an eyesore.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

brianwr

Ripple
A/V Subscriber
Aug 2, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
Damn, I had some great times in Drummond. The buildings aren't very pretty, but I like the idea of a high-rise classic dorm building, it's something everyone should experience as a freshman. I'll be sad to see Wentz go when the time comes, too.