Kerr-Drummond being demolished

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
I love Kerr-Drummond. Lived there three years and worked there as an RA and as grad asst. during grad school. In other news building a new track/field site.

Regents move forward with construction projects on Oklahoma State University’s Stillwater, OKC campuses PDF | Print |
Friday, 13 April 2012 16:25
The OSU/A&M Board of Regents today approved the selection process to find an architect and a construction manager for a new residence hall on the Oklahoma State University-Stillwater campus.
The new facility is needed to replace the future loss of 1,100 beds in Kerr-Drummond Hall. After a thorough review, it has been determined that the 45-year-old high-rise dormitory should be demolished. The demolition will not occur any earlier than 2015 and will not happen until the new residence facility is in place. The new accommodations will provide 800-900 beds in modified traditional dormitory style buildings.
Regents also gave approval to begin the selection process for an engineering consultant and construction manager for a new track facility on the OSU-Stillwater campus. The facility will be built in the Athletic Village area north of Boone Pickens Stadium and will replace the Kaye Barrett Droke Track and Field Center built in 1972 and last updated in 1986.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
Where will the new dormitory buildings be built and they gotta get started on them soon if they plan on demolishing K&D around 2015!

K&D is pretty run down now...

May 30, 2008
I've been told among the considerations is a new federal regulation requiring larger elevators for buildings of that height. So K-D is probably out of compliance with a variety of federal mandates, meaning it is less expensive to replace than modify. Sad.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I've been told among the considerations is a new federal regulation requiring larger elevators for buildings of that height. So K-D is probably out of compliance with a variety of federal mandates, meaning it is less expensive to replace than modify. Sad.
I don't know that the loss of KD is sad other than quite a few people having lived there. I don't really see anyone lamenting the loss of Willhelm (sp?) and it was essentially the same building.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Didn't they have a grand entrance for Ag Hall in the master plan from that side?
Don't know about that. But my source is pretty reliable, and they're positive parking garage is in the future. Although depending on exactly where it's placed and how big it is, there's probably plenty of room for a grand entrance. They've essentially got room from those gravel lots north of Parker all the way to that road there (Farm?).

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Excellent thread title and very applicable to osu sports.
Guess you missed this part.

Regents also gave approval to begin the selection process for an engineering consultant and construction manager for a new track facility on the OSU-Stillwater campus. The facility will be built in the Athletic Village area north of Boone Pickens Stadium and will replace the Kaye Barrett Droke Track and Field Center built in 1972 and last updated in 1986.
;)

May 30, 2008
OK, GC. How about it being the first major landmark for those of us driving in for game day Saturdays.

Phil, as for sad, I meant it more in the sense of bureaucrats in Washington essentially making the decision for us. I do accept the fact that style of college dormitory is not what today's college students expect. But that would be the issue our regents should have been weighing in the making of their decision. My humble opinion, of course.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
WHAT? MAJOR LANDMARK? Don't you people even LOOK at the swine barn as you drive into town? Geez, you wouldn't know a landmark if it bit you on the eybrow...

(This is an entirely sarcastic post, I just couldn't miss the chance)

Seriously, why did no one like KD until they said it was coming down?

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Phil, as for sad, I meant it more in the sense of bureaucrats in Washington essentially making the decision for us. I do accept the fact that style of college dormitory is not what today's college students expect. But that would be the issue our regents should have been weighing in the making of their decision. My humble opinion, of course.
Basically, you'd rather us build a new dorm because we wanted to (present a more attractive face of res-life, offer higher quality student housing, etc.) rather than being forced to by federal regulations. I can get behind that.

Apr 14, 2011
I have heard behind IBA Residence Hall. Another option I have heard is where scholars apts used to be.
I used to live in Scholar's Inn apartments. That was a sweet location. Right by BPS, 5 minutes from the strip, right by the school of business, and a one minute walk from Eskimo Joe's.

On the Kerr Drummond demolition, I say it's needed to happen for a long time. Kind of an eye sore. They should have gone with Wilham North & South, IMO.

Apr 14, 2011
Basically, you'd rather us build a new dorm because we wanted to (present a more attractive face of res-life, offer higher quality student housing, etc.) rather than being forced to by federal regulations. I can get behind that.
I've heard it wasn't a regulation issue. With the new dorms they can charge more and return a better profit. May not be accurate but that's what the story was back when they smashed Wilham.

May 30, 2008
Yes, Phil. Sorry I left the first comment standing naked.

Speaking of the old swine barn, I always thought it would have been funny to have signage properly spaced up I-35 from OKC on a Bedlam weekend saying there was a Sooner Family Reunion and pep rally at "the first turn after the bridge." There could have been some people dressed in red with red and white balloons at about the Lake Carl Blackwell turn waving to all the squat fans encouraging them to join the family reunion at the first turn after the bridge. And again more balloons at the turn. It would have been interesting to see how many squat fans turned into the swine barn driveway.

Where are the new swine barns?

Nov 10, 2007
Not to be insensative but i'm all for some campus parking...the pinnacle of my own personal rages came from finding a parking place or being ticketed for parking at OSU...if i had money like Boone I would pay students parking fines off every year

They're gonna put a parking garage in where KD currently stands according to a source I have.