Kentucky and SEC Bias

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I wish someone would come up with a computer based rating system that would minimize human bias. I’m thinking a combo of the human polls and…I don’t know, maybe six or so different computer ranking systems. Then some math wiz can come up with a fair and equitable ranking formula. Surely that wouldn’t screw us over…right?

**(based actual events from 2011 for those not picking up on my deep sarcasm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, the algorithmist then went to work for the USDA so he could screw up the crop report.

Aug 26, 2004
I wish someone would come up with a computer based rating system that would minimize human bias. I’m thinking a combo of the human polls and…I don’t know, maybe six or so different computer ranking systems. Then some math wiz can come up with a fair and equitable ranking formula. Surely that wouldn’t screw us over…right?

**(based actual events from 2011 for those not picking up on my deep sarcasm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://masseyratings.com/

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I'm glad to see that SEC bias is alive and well. We're one year removed from a 12-2 season and Fiesta Bowl victory. We're undefeated and coming off a 63-7 drubbing of an inferior opponent, and we get passed in the AP by Kentucky for beating Youngstown State? Maybe Kentucky is better, but until they prove it, there is no justification for putting them ahead of us.
For sake of conversation, let’s say you are a Kentucky fan. You went on the road (the swamp - a tough place to play) and beat the #12 team in the country (granted - over ranked) who just came off of an upset win over the #7 team in the country.
You look at OSU and the only creditable win is ASU who turned around and lost at home to a Michigan directional school.

Wouldn’t you think you deserved to be ranked above OSU based on the fact that you played at least a halfway decent team on the road where OSU as played no one.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I don't really have a problem with UK passing is based on schedule to date. My problem is that I don't think the reverse would happen. Plus, now that they ARE ahead of us, there is no way for us to pass them again unless they lose.
I agree 100%.

However them not losing would mean they would have beaten (12) UF (11) UT (16) Ol Miss, (1) UGA. + a championship game, likely against Bama.

If they do that, the deserve to be ahead of us

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I guess I'll play devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

Kentucky's quarterback is projected to be a top 10 pick in the NFL draft. They have an NFL running back that hasn't even played yet due to suspension. Their offensive line is better than any we've had in the past decade. I don't know much about their defense, but they're giving up less than 10 points per game.

Given everything I just said, are you certain that we would beat them on a neutral field if we played this weekend?

I'm not all that worried about the polls. Everything will come out in the wash. If we're a better team than Kentucky, it will be proven out with time.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
For sake of conversation, let’s say you are a Kentucky fan. You went on the road (the swamp - a tough place to play) and beat the #12 team in the country (granted - over ranked) who just came off of an upset win over the #7 team in the country.
You look at OSU and the only creditable win is ASU who turned around and lost at home to a Michigan directional school.

Wouldn’t you think you deserved to be ranked above OSU based on the fact that you played at least a halfway decent team on the road where OSU as played no one.
They beat Miami (OH), overrated Florida (who barely got past USF) and Youngstown St. I stand by my position.

Aug 7, 2006
I guess I'll play devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

Kentucky's quarterback is projected to be a top 10 pick in the NFL draft. They have an NFL running back that hasn't even played yet due to suspension. Their offensive line is better than any we've had in the past decade. I don't know much about their defense, but they're giving up less than 10 points per game.

Given everything I just said, are you certain that we would beat them on a neutral field if we played this weekend?

I'm not all that worried about the polls. Everything will come out in the wash. If we're a better team then Kentucky, it will be proven out with time.
Yeah, I actually think Kentucky is a pretty good team this year. Levis could be a first round pick and their defense is stout. Wouldn't be surprised if they won 10+ games this year. Their schedule sets up for them to have a decent shot at the SEC championship game if they can get to Georgia with one conference loss.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
They beat Miami (OH), overrated Florida (who barely got past USF) and Youngstown St. I stand by my position.
And OSU's best win is against ASU, who turned around and had a bad enough loss to justify firing their coach. Whether we like it or not, Kentucky has a better win and still barely edged us out. Like others have said, it'll sort itself out. I would argue that they have done more up to this point.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
And OSU's best win is against ASU, who turned around and had a bad enough loss to justify firing their coach. Whether we like it or not, Kentucky has a better win and still barely edged us out. Like others have said, it'll sort itself out. I would argue that they have done more up to this point.
Agreed but if the roles were reversed, do you think we would jump Kentucky?

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
Possibly, yes. There's too much going into it. Everyone acts like that was the only spot changing hands. Look back through the weeks. Clemson/Michigan traded spots too. Bama/Georgia traded spots in multiple polls.

Dec 3, 2012
I don't find Kentucky's ranking bothering. They're a good team with some decent wins. I'm much more annoyed by all the love for USC. They've played well, but they haven't exactly faced a murderer's row. But, as others have said, time will tell which of the top teams are for real and which are pretenders.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
My last thought on this is the timing. If they had jumped us after beating Florida, well ok. But last week, we both played D2 teams and we beat ours twice as bad as they beat theirs. If you switch the two teams based on that weeks games, then I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Aug 27, 2021
Tulsa
My last thought on this is the timing. If they had jumped us after beating Florida, well ok. But last week, we both played D2 teams and we beat ours twice as bad as they beat theirs. If you switch the two teams based on that weeks games, then I'd like to hear your reasoning.
Neither UK nor OKST played a D-II team. You played FCS teams.

There is a 27 full scholarship difference between FCS and D-II.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I saw last night that through three games, Florida's QB has yet to throw a TD pass, but he has thrown 4 picks. Again, overrated.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
I think it is probably less about them passing us, but more about passing us THIS week. The pass shoulda happened after the Florida win. Then it would seem more justified.

Truth is, it's Sept...who cares. Let's revisit Nov 1

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I think it’s pretty simple, I think the polls gave us solid credit for beating Arizona state. Then when they turned around and lost at home to a MAC school….

It’s early but our opponents have not beat a D1 school, at all. Florida has a top-10 win and another D1 win.