Kentucky and SEC Bias

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I'm glad to see that SEC bias is alive and well. We're one year removed from a 12-2 season and Fiesta Bowl victory. We're undefeated and coming off a 63-7 drubbing of an inferior opponent, and we get passed in the AP by Kentucky for beating Youngstown State? Maybe Kentucky is better, but until they prove it, there is no justification for putting them ahead of us.

Nov 18, 2010
And when one of the other mediocre SEC teams beat Kentucky, it'll be a "win over a top 10 SEC team!!!!"...and that new SEC team will jump up into the top 10.

Rigged polls can't become irrelevant fast enough. Hopefully we only have a couple more years before the 12 team playoff.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
And when one of the other mediocre SEC teams beat Kentucky, it'll be a "win over a top 10 SEC team!!!!"...and that new SEC team will jump up into the top 10.

Rigged polls can't become irrelevant fast enough. Hopefully we only have a couple more years before the 12 team playoff.
This is exactly what I"ve been saying for years now! When people say preseason polls/polls don't matter, you highlighted exactly why they DO matter-perception.

Does anyone really think there's any significant difference in teams ranked, say 15 -40? So it perpetually helps when your conference mates are pushed into the 15-25 end of this range, rather than being in the 'others receiving votes' category. It makes the matchups 'bigger', makes the wins 'better', and the losses 'better' because it was against a ranked opponent.

Pokengineer

Go Pokes!
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2009
Edmond, OK
Meh its still early in the season, there is a lot of football left. If you look at the total voter points, we gained from last week so its unlikely that someone actually bumped us lower. More likely, someone(s) had Kentucky fairly low, perhaps below BYU, Mich. St, and Miami. But since those teams lost they moved Kentucky up and that allowed them to accumulate more points than us and pass us in the polls.

Kentucky has a better win than we do (at Florida). I'd say Kentucky's win over Youngstown has very little to do with them jumping us.

Aug 31, 2008
Why do our fans care so much about rankings? If we keep winning, we will move up even if we start out ranked 100. If we are 11-0 we will be in the top 4 most years. If we lose then we will not be in the playoff most years unless we win the big 12 and have a fortunate set of circumstances. Just keep winning and we will move up, so don't worry about who is ranked what in week 3 because it doesn't matter at all.

Now when the 12 team playoff starts, that will be a different story and the bias rankings the SEC get will have a significant effect on teams 5-12 giving them the advantage over other conferences.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Why do our fans care so much about rankings? If we keep winning, we will move up even if we start out ranked 100. If we are 11-0 we will be in the top 4 most years. If we lose then we will not be in the playoff most years unless we win the big 12 and have a fortunate set of circumstances. Just keep winning and we will move up, so don't worry about who is ranked what in week 3 because it doesn't matter at all.

Now when the 12 team playoff starts, that will be a different story and the bias rankings the SEC get will have a significant effect on teams 5-12 giving them the advantage over other conferences.
Because the higher you are ranked, the more you control your own destiny, that's why.

Pokengineer

Go Pokes!
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2009
Edmond, OK
So a win over an unranked team in week 2 or 3 means the same thing over a ranked team? The CFP poll just appears out of thin air mid-season?
Maybe, maybe not. We won't know until those teams have played more games and let their play speak for how good they are. Thats what the committee looks at. Undefeated teams will be at the top, especially those with quality wins over 1 loss teams. Those one loss teams will be evaluated in the same way and so on.

There is alot more data available to the CFP committee in October than the media in September where they do pluck rankings out of thin air. September rankings are for marketing only and they contribute to viewership so I'm not saying they are meaningless I'm just saying they mean very little towards making the playoffs.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Kentucky jumping OSU has more to do with Central Michigan losing to Southern Alabama and ASU losing to Eastern Michigan.

They at least beat a team with a pulse.

UK still has Ole Miss, Tennessee, UGA. If they win those, they deserve to be ahead of us. If not, we will be in a position to slide past them if we win.

I would like to say this even matters but at this point in the season it doesn’t… at all.

Nov 6, 2010
When was the last time that mattered? Since the playoffs? Things work themselves out over the season.
I used to be in this camp for any preseason polls, but after thinking about viewer ratings for conference landing spots, I've reversed my stance. However, for that, 1 or 2 spots doesn't really matter much. Staying top 10 is the key, or top 25 after a loss or two. Where you slide within those brackets will be determined in conference play.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX

I don't care that much about it, just pointing out that UK should not be ranked ahead of us at this point.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I wish someone would come up with a computer based rating system that would minimize human bias. I’m thinking a combo of the human polls and…I don’t know, maybe six or so different computer ranking systems. Then some math wiz can come up with a fair and equitable ranking formula. Surely that wouldn’t screw us over…right?

**(based actual events from 2011 for those not picking up on my deep sarcasm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk