Kasey Dunn

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
This is a myth that needs to be put to bed. Here are SS’s passing attempts for the entire season so far.

He has thrown by far most of his passes into the middle of the field, even before the KSU game.

There were a few factors here. Warren went out and that affected our ability to run and pass out of the backfield. And then, yes, the untimely penalties absolutely killed us as well. SS barely missed on one throw to Green. It happens. But it would have gone for a TD.

It may partially be KSU but the bigger reason is that the passing schemes and plays are getting better and better. Especially when teams are stacking their linebackers close to the LOS to stop the run.

Haha, no. Just no. SS had one memorable off-throw in the second half. He was nowhere near the biggest problem in either half.

He threw for 344 yards at over 15 yards per completion, with a 65% completion rate. 2 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, zero turnovers.

If you’re thinking he needs to “improve quickly” from that stat line or else you want him benched, you’re insane.
There you go bringing facts and data to OP.. what will they think of next?!?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
This is a myth that needs to be put to bed. Here are SS’s passing attempts for the entire season so far.

He has thrown by far most of his passes into the middle of the field, even before the KSU game.

There were a few factors here. Warren went out and that affected our ability to run and pass out of the backfield. And then, yes, the untimely penalties absolutely killed us as well. SS barely missed on one throw to Green. It happens. But it would have gone for a TD.

It may partially be KSU but the bigger reason is that the passing schemes and plays are getting better and better. Especially when teams are stacking their linebackers close to the LOS to stop the run.

Haha, no. Just no. SS had one memorable off-throw in the second half. He was nowhere near the biggest problem in either half.

He threw for 344 yards at over 15 yards per completion, with a 65% completion rate. 2 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, zero turnovers.

If you’re thinking he needs to “improve quickly” from that stat line or else you want him benched, you’re insane.
If we had the ability to grade the route running I believe we would see that the issue in some cases has been termination of a route, or an incorrect route being ran or the complimentary receiver not blocking

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
No, I am saying our defense appears to be damn good and we're 4 and Oh, baby! And yet people can't appreciate a damn good defense and would rather lose 100 point shoot outs than win with good defense. The pissing and moaning and whining is shrill. Hearing it after every win is like listening to a Pelosi speech.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
Beating Missouri State 23-16 and Tulsa 28-23 early this season felt a little like beating Montana State 15-10, Florida Atlantic 23-3, and Arkansas State 20-10 in 2005. Sure, we were 3-0 and only allowing 7.6 points per game......

Last time we played Missouri State we won 58-17 and went 7-6 on the season. We also beat Boise State that season by 23 points, the defense holding Boise to 21 points.

It's not the defense people have concerns with. It's the offense.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
We've never lost a game where we held the opponent to 20 or less, even against top 25 teams.
Never? We were beaten by Nebraska 17-7 in 2003.

Anyway, that's a nice stat, the flip side being is we are 14-19 in games (2011-2020) where we scored 28 points or less.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

Anyway, that's a nice stat, the flip side being is we are 14-19 in games (2011-2020) where we scored 28 points or less.
Context. His previous comment was “under Gundy” and I think this was an add-on.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
We've never lost a game where we held the opponent to 20 or less, even against top 25 teams.

Under Gundy. Sheez.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
As a former odds maker, I admit our guy is too stubborn. There’s a lesson or 2 it seems we may never understand.

If we get personal here, I’d like to know the reasonings of playing hurt qbs in bowl games when there’s a known commodity in the wings. The Jumbotron in Dallas was lit up with texts to put Weeden in. Hated losing to Ole Miss with the better team. Twice.

The other question is how many turnovers can a qb have and not get pulled? Asking that one for a friend.

Now, it’s hard for some to see this but just 2 names come to mind. That really sum up what WE HAVE. And what WE HAVE is something very special.

1. Tyreek Hill
2. Joe Mixon

The outcomes are all I ever need to know What’s really the most important aspect of college football.

The good news is we already have it. The best news is if we alums handle this the right way, we can keep it. Even way past the Gundy era.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
As a former odds maker, I admit our guy is too stubborn. There’s a lesson or 2 it seems we may never understand.

If we get personal here, I’d like to know the reasonings of playing hurt qbs in bowl games when there’s a known commodity in the wings. The Jumbotron in Dallas was lit up with texts to put Weeden in. Hated losing to Ole Miss with the better team. Twice.

The other question is how many turnovers can a qb have and not get pulled? Asking that one for a friend.

Now, it’s hard for some to see this but just 2 names come to mind. That really sum up what WE HAVE. And what WE HAVE is something very special.

1. Tyreek Hill
2. Joe Mixon

The outcomes are all I ever need to know What’s really the most important aspect of college football.

The good news is we already have it. The best news is if we alums handle this the right way, we can keep it. Even way past the Gundy era.
Excellent post

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
Beating Missouri State 23-16 and Tulsa 28-23 early this season felt a little like beating Montana State 15-10, Florida Atlantic 23-3, and Arkansas State 20-10 in 2005. Sure, we were 3-0 and only allowing 7.6 points per game......

Last time we played Missouri State we won 58-17 and went 7-6 on the season. We also beat Boise State that season by 23 points, the defense holding Boise to 21 points.

Yes, very fair to extrapolate that our results this year will be the same because they remind you of results from 16 years ago in Gundy’s first year.

Big stretch there, Armstrong.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
No, I am saying our defense appears to be damn good and we're 4 and Oh, baby! And yet people can't appreciate a damn good defense and would rather lose 100 point shoot outs than win with good defense. The pissing and moaning and whining is shrill. Hearing it after every win is like listening to a Pelosi speech.

I can't remember what year, maybe 2005, Arky State and FIU played 3OT that end 3-0. Can't remember who won that pillowfight. But if you hold the other team to zero they can't win and you only need to score once to win.

OTOH, in 2011 we lost a shoot out in Ames because our defense couldn't stop a junior high team. We lost to a mediocre Iowa State with the best offense we have had since 1988. It cost us a chance at a national championship. And, oh, btw, in 1988 if we had a defense even in the top 50 we would have gone undefeated.

But I know I am not going to change your mind or end the sophistry. Whine on McDuff!

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

Some people are concern that the Offense was / is not entertaining them and their friends .

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Some people are concern that the Offense was / is not entertaining them and their friends .
Just win baby!

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I can't remember what year, maybe 2005, Arky State and FIU played 3OT that end 3-0. Can't remember who won that pillowfight. But if you hold the other team to zero they can't win and you only need to score once to win.

OTOH, in 2011 we lost a shoot out in Ames because our defense couldn't stop a junior high team. We lost to a mediocre Iowa State with the best offense we have had since 1988. It cost us a chance at a national championship. And, oh, btw, in 1988 if we had a defense even in the top 50 we would have gone undefeated.

But I know I am not going to change your mind or end the sophistry. Whine on McDuff!

First I'm not whining. I simply pointed out when you're on the road against a good team with a 1 point lead is no time to be sitting on plays (saving for later in the season) that could potentially secure the win. You seem to be disagreeing with that?

And "McDuff' really?